News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Contacting a ROM Hack Author with questions about his ROM Hack?  (Read 2743 times)

Kronoan

• View Profile
Contacting a ROM Hack Author with questions about his ROM Hack?
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:36:02 am »
Hello everyone, I just registered on the forums since I wanted to ask a few authors of some of my favorite ROM Hacks some questions. I figured someone would be able to tell me how to do so. Thank you! :)
I Like Swords!
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Time Can Be Your Ally, Use It Well!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Contacting a ROM Hack Author with questions about his ROM Hack?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:25:43 am »
If they left contact info or site info on the FAQ/readme/release notes that might be an idea.

A PM out of the blue can work but might not do so well.

Still

If it is a technical question then a general thread, maybe with the author's name in the post could work. If nothing else many people might have contributed an idea or two to the hack, read the post hack analysis, done their own post hack analysis or otherwise worked on the game in question. Answering the general theory on how something is done

Language questions work much the same as hacking ones though such things can be a bit more subjective if someone else answers, this is common to all language discussion though.

Questions on how a hack might have changed the game from a game design perspective are rare but not unheard of. These probably will warrant the original author to respond unless they otherwise discussed something in a post hack analysis, readme or in general.

Kronoan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:24:50 pm »
I wanted to contact them about maybe making some changes to a hack of theirs to fix some typos, change some fonts and other misc. things to make a better hack. Do you think most hack authors on this site would at least consider my request? It would provide more incentive for people to download and use that hack!
I Like Swords!

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:26:30 pm »
I think addendum hacks are always acceptable, but I would definitely try contacting a hack author first  :police:

Kronoan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:04:32 am »
OK, Thanks guys!
I Like Swords!