News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is this Displaying Right  (Read 11191 times)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Displaying Right
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 04:19:43 am »
Yea I kinda guessed you can't open them and see what's inside like a rar but I just wanted to keep my hopes up encase someone knew how to
I'm sorry, but you still don't understand.

- You CAN open them and see what's inside like a RAR.
- Most of us know how to.

But, please understand that every single DAT file has a different format; each one of them it's a different type. There's no standard format that everyone uses for the DAT extension. ".DAT" is just a part of the filename. There could be anything inside.

So, what most of us do is:
1. Read all the "Getting Started" stuff on this site. (This is the most important step.)
2. Study the format of the specific DAT file that you're interested in, by opening the file yourself with a hex editor.
3. Use that hex editor or any other similar program (or, most likely, write your own program) to view/extract/insert/etc. data from/to it.

It is not that "we don't know" or "it can't be done". It's just that you have to do all the work yourself; there's no other way.
There has to be a better life.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 09:06:27 am »

I'm not sure you're making this clearer...

So, what most of us do is:
1. Read all the "Getting Started" stuff on this site. (This is the most important step.)
2. Study the format of the specific DAT file that you're interested in, by opening the file yourself with a hex editor.
3. Use that hex editor or any other similar program (or, most likely, write your own program) to view/extract/insert/etc. data from/to it.
You can "study the format" until you go mad and not get anywhere.  I reckon it would be more accurate to say that one often needs to study what the program code does with the file.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:28 am »
Yes you can open it with a hex but I have no clue on how to get the just say anything other than text out of it. Thanks for that file as I opened it and applied the encoding and it displays correctly so I now know it's the games ps2 encoding that doesn't allow it to appear correctly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:01:19 am by Bob Liu »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »

I'm not sure you're making this clearer...
Yes, but you're only quoting 5% of my post. Quote the rest and I hope it will become clearer.

You can "study the format" until you go mad and not get anywhere.  I reckon it would be more accurate to say that one often needs to study what the program code does with the file.
Yes, but I said most of us because I think that people who knows how to do that here is the minority (judging by some posts I've read.) I think that what you propose is a bit more advanced, and definitely not something that Bob Liu should be worried about now. A hex editor in most cases may be enough to know how to extract files from a (hopefully not encrypted or compressed) container.

Also, often one needs to spend hours or days studying what the program is doing, only to find later that it was just a simple well known format that it could have discovered by giving it a better look in a hex editor.

I now know it's the games ps2 encoding that doesn't allow it to appear correctly.
It could also be the that you're not opening the correct file and looking at the correct file position.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »
How would one go about extracting anything from a file using a hex editor, im guessing it's not easy and I probably won't be able to do it.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »
That depends on the file in question. Usually it is a simple range select.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »
A hex editor in most cases may be enough to know how to extract files from a (hopefully not encrypted or compressed) container.
If PS2 games often used uncompressed text that could be easily viewed with a hex editor, without having to examine the program code at all, I would think we would be seeing a lot more PS2 translations.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 07:57:51 pm »
If PS2 games often used uncompressed text that could be easily viewed with a hex editor, without having to examine the program code at all, I would think we would be seeing a lot more PS2 translations.
Yeah, because extracting the text is the most difficult task in a translation...

In my experience, most of the Japanese games on the PSX and newer consoles and portables use uncompressed text in Shift-JIS encoding. Extracting that text is still like 1% of the total amount of work needed for a half-decent translation.