Sorry for the late reply! I just got electricity back today after that pretty terrible ice storm.
Testing Update Part 2
New Bugs encountered
- Octomaam fight was very goofy. Lots of weird display errors with damage display and lack thereof.. I would cast LIT and never see an animation/damage as if it never went off.
Wha? I'll have to check that out right away...
- Weird bug where when Edward 'hides" and an a weapon special activates the game freezes entirely. Ill need to replicate this freeze to see if its a persistant problem
That... leads me to believe I still have Auto-Hide as Advnc which wasn't supposed to be included in this demo. Does Edward have a Berserk graphic hit him instead?
So far so good! Back to where I was from a fresh restart and no bugs so far. I still need to get the Minimage encounter but Im sure you settled it
I know I handled That at least, haha!
- Shadow Sword does Gradual Petrification along with Random Dark Wave. Is this intended? If it was its awesome that both a status effect and ability can be attached to a weapon!!!
That is completely intended, but not for the reasons you may be thinking. This is still an error on my part that I had thought I fixed...
Here's the breakdown... the game's original "Gradual Petrification on Weapons" set up is glitched and broken, occasionally freezing the game in a normal playthrough. Clearly the product of not enough playtesting with the stupidly rare Medusa Sword. What my routine does is it takes the code that was there and uses a command skill based on the index of the weapon, if applicable. The message was supposed to be changed to "The Weapon Glows Bright!" to show that it was starting to activate the effect, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee the command of the weapon will go through, that's on a different RNG. Though yes, you can have a command and a status effect on the same weapon.
- Geomancy Update is great so far. Air Blade seems a tad overpowered but maybe thats just because of the area and enemies I was fighting. The other spells (Tsunami and Coldmist) seemed balanced. I almost feel like you could go the FFT route where the Geomancy spells aren't super powerful (but still hit decent on weaknesses) but have a chance to add bad status.
Ah yes, AirBlade is used on Mountains where it can find some of its greatest use since the Gargoyle's and Cockatrices are weak to Air elemental. For the most part every Geomancy effect is unique. Coldmist is a decently strong Ice Attack (maybe I could add Blind or something to it. )
- Looking forward to more equipment modifications! I would say that this game could use a big reduction of its redundant equipment and spells. Having 3 pieces of armor that have the same name and stat boosts is boring! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Agreed, FFIV's item system is way too basic... I currently have the Scholar Cap/Master's Headband/Thief's Gloves/Chemist Ring, but I need to do more with the idea if possible.
- Wouldn't mind having every item have SOME sort of Item description as discussed before. Since your space is VERY limited it would require some clever Abbreviations/wording. I am sure we could come up with some type of system... or is this something we should push over to Vivify for Project 2?
Thats all I can think of for now. I might look into some of the difficulty hacks on here to see what other people have come up with. I doubt any of the difficulty mods are able to be patched in unless they refrain from having any edits that clash with yours.. which I highly doubt given the extensive work you have put in.
Ill have more as I go further!
Hmm, yeah that's probably something to talk to Vivify 2 for. So far though the go-to editor for FFIV doesn't yet have those messages included. Which would in turn also show us how much actual space we have to use.
EDIT: Figured out the issue with Octomamm... Octomamm innately has a Ridiculous magic defense. 26 magic defense x5 Multiplier and (with the patch actually taking enemy evasion into account...) a 60% magic evasion. Which means that your chance of actually hitting Octomamm with magic at either Tellah's 16 Wisdom or Rydia's 10-14 Wisdom is Extremely low, the Magic Weapons bypass this, as you might imagine (no longer when the spell is used from the weapon through the item menu itself, however) Because the Magic Multiplier of Tellah at this point is... 2, you would have an astronomically low chance of actually getting through to the enemy. It would seem then that the original intention of the battle was to make him nigh invulnerable to magic attacks from cast spells (interestingly enough the manual mentions the Staff being able to cast Lit and Weapon Magic has a 100% chance of hitting regardless of any case (before this patch). Perhaps you were intended to use staves to hit him with Lit?
With Magic Evasion in play this makes battle items like Zeus's Wrath and all of that a Lot more valuable as they aren't effected by Magic Evasion.
EDIT 2: So, here is the problem with "Auto-Hide" I didn't plan for Edward to have Hide At All anymore and forgot to remove the "Auto-Hide" check meaning that if he gets into critical and hides, when his turn comes up the game will lock up because there is no Show command that replaced Hide as is ordered by the Hide command's programming...
A quick fix, the patch will be reuploaded (make a savestate or a save of where you currently are. This change should effect nothing in the current save files.) with that. Now That is careless of me not to notice that.
Alright. The new version is updated with the fix to Edward's Auto-Hide problem. He will no longer Auto-Hide, thereby crashing the game. I implore anyone who has downloaded the previous version to redownload it here.FFIV-Combo.ips
EDIT 3: I took the remnants of Auto-Hide's code (since it no longer does anything) and turned it into an Armor Check. If the Armor Check succeeds the Paladin's Cover command will act like the DarkOmen (Dark Wave spell replacement) command.
This Armor is Odin's Armor (replacing Silver Armor, because Silver Armor is worthless) that you will receive when you defeat Odin. While wearing it Cover will act like DarkOmen.