News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man Upgrade Patch: Version 1.6 Released  (Read 16502 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch RELEASED
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
oh wow, the construction mode in an nes rom hack! Now that's ambitious. I would say though that it isn't necessary, and as such, shouldn't be a key priority. I would suggest you instead focus on getting the robot masters to a playable state.

Cutman, Elecman, Fireman and Iceman should be easy to do - just swap their sprites for Megaman's and then use their same powers Megaman has when he gets them.

Playable Bombman will need more work. In the original game, the Hyper Bomb....sucks. Bombman in Powered Up addresses this by allowing the player to adjust the angle the bombs are thrown at and they also explode upon impact rather than on a time delay only. 

Gutsman is in a similar boat. Gutsman doesn't have a proper projectile attack like the others. Instead his only attack are generating and then hurling those big square blocks, which can also be used as platforms. As well, Gutsman is much larger than the others, so you'll have to design the levels in the rom hack to accommodate for his size. Gutsman can't fit through the same tight corridors the others could.

Timeman will need to be written from scratch, needing both the clock hand projectiles and the ability to charge up and unleash Time Slow, which might prove to be difficult on the NES. I can't think of any NES games that use any ability to slow time rather than stop it completely like the Flash Stopper in Megaman 2.

Lastly Oilman and his useless Oil Slider. Maybe you could steal the code for how Rockman 4 Minus Infinity does the Hell Wheel hack from the Skull Barrier? I bet that would work nicely, just with using different sprites.

Protoman should be pretty much the same as Megaman just using a different sprite.

Roll on the other hand, would again require custom code if you go with how she works in Powered Up, using a close range powerful broom similar to how Zero uses the Z-Saber instead of a buster.

I'd be happy to help as I can. Megaman Powered Up is among my favorite games. You don't have to create a carbon copy of the PSP experience, but it would be nice if you could bring over most of what made that so special.

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch RELEASED
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 05:26:36 pm »
Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.2 Released.

This latest version of the Upgrade Patch adds a write to MMC3 Mapper Address $A000 at start-up, to allow the ROM to run on real hardware.  Also included in the zip file is a Change Log.

The link on the first page has been updated, so you can download it there.

Can anyone test the patch for me, to see if it runs on the Everdrive N8 and the real NES?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:01:54 pm by Rockman »

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.2 Released
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:14 pm »
It should, MMC3 is like the most common mapper there is and it doesn't exceed the 512K PRG/CHR limits so yeah, it'll work on the Everdrive or Powerpak.

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.2 Released
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 01:10:21 am »
Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.3 Released.

The game now saves your progress! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzXJxLEyYrI

This version adds two things:

1. Added writes to all mapper addresses, to ensure that this ROM will run on real hardware.

2. The game saves your lives and completed stages and weapons after you complete a stage, or obtain the special beam weapon, or after returning to the stage select screen from the credits.  The game will only save up to the first Dr. Wily stage.

You can download it here:

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4633

NES Boy

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.3 Released
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 04:46:33 am »
Why are the Score Balls still in this game? They're superfluous with the removal of the score.

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.3 Released
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 12:16:53 am »
I deliberately left them in the game, because they could be used for other gameplay possibilities, similar to the P-Chips in the Megaman GameBoy games, or the triangle pieces in Megaman Forever.  I could have taken them out, but someone could easily modify the code to have them act as currency or some other special feature.  For example, you could add a counter to the game, so that the more score balls you collect by the end of the game, you can let the player have access to a secret level.  There is enough free space in this Upgrade Patch to add more levels! :)

EDIT - There was a glitch with the SaveRAM.  When you got a Game Over, the game simply loaded your previously saved lives.  Version 1.4 fixes that.  Now when you get a Game Over, the game will set your lives to 2.  However, since the game only saves your progress when you complete a stage, obtain the special weapon, or continue playing after the credits, you can simply reset the game and the game will load your previously saved lives.  Just a little tip if you happened to have a lot of lives after you completed a stage, and then find yourself getting a Game Over! ;)

There may be one more version of this hack. But it will be the final version.

THINGS LEFT TO DO FOR THE FINAL VERSION, 1.5:

1. Adding the horizontal bars to cover over the first and last blue bars of the boss preview screen. I already have the horizontal bar graphics added to the CHR.

2. Adding scrolling stars to the boss preview screen (stars are one pixel sprites, with the X coordinates constantly being decremented).

With 1 and 2 above, this would make the boss preview screen look like Mega Man 2's.

3. Program the "PAUSED" text by simply writing to the SPR-RAM during pause mode. The "PAUSED" text I already put in the CHR.

4. Add an option to the title screen, which allows the player to erase their saved progress.

And that should do it. That should complete this package! :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:36:58 pm by Rockman »

NES Boy

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.4 Released
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 04:27:55 am »
I noticed in the Board 2 thread that you're asking for portraits for the bosses. Why don't you ask Vanya? He posted his own portraits of the Light Numbers earlier in this very thread.

They are based on the portraits from the Wily Wars remake:

Speaking of the Wily Wars, this is how it handled Wily:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 06:19:08 pm »
No worries. I already volunteered them.

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 06:35:17 pm »
I didn't see an option there to clear a save once it's been made. How is that going to be handled?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:53 am »
This video Rockman posted should answer your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNqV8SvHaQ

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 08:42:26 am »
Hola no tenia nada mejor que hacer así que hice este dibujo

Si lo te sirve puedes utilizarlo, este es su boceto:

Este sprit es de antes de la corrección, es solo para marcar la posición..

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:42:17 am by sics »

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
I updated the notes and the change log. Enjoy! :)

Download the Final Version Here:

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4652

EDIT - There was a minor palette error on the stage select screen. I fixed it, but Wily's face is blackened out. This can't be helped since I don't have anymore palette room, but it's not that bad. The link has been updated with this adjustment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:45:51 pm by Rockman »

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man Upgrade Patch: FINAL VERSION (1.5) RELEASED
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 09:38:13 pm »
Mega Man Upgrade Patch v1.6 Released

Taken from Change Log

· Fixed three things

1. Updated code structure for lower-right PPU slot.  Now you can easily swap VROM pages in that slot at anytime.  This allows for things such as CHR animation for levels and boss portraits for the stage select screen.

2. Fixed Game Over screen.  There is no more arrow flicker on the screen, and the blue palette has been restored.

3. Updated the main notes.  I noticed that two of the new addresses I used were missing from the document somehow.  Addresses $10D and $10E, which deal with the title screen option cursor and the boss preview screen.

End of Change Log

So much for 1.5 being the final version. :P

Mega Man Upgrade Patch v1.6
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4661

thainferno305

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man Upgrade Patch: Version 1.6 Released
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 03:48:40 am »
My protoman 6 is 98% done (megaman 6 hack) I added tons of custom made armor when I'm done with it I'll release it soon

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:34 am »
Great, but what does that have to do with Megaman 1 Upgrade Patch?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »
Four-year bump + thread hijack = ew

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:29 pm »
Four-year bump + thread hijack = ew

Dude probably barely speaks english and just saw "Mega Man".
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.