News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man Upgrade Patch: Version 1.6 Released  (Read 16450 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
Mega Man Upgrade Patch: Version 1.6 Released
« on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:53 pm »
This is a hack of Mega Man 1 for the NES which upgrades the game in a big way, and makes it much easier for hackers.  The game now has a ton of free space, and has been converted to Mapper 4 (MMC3) and CHR-ROM!

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlYDpvrdKtk

I started this project at the beginning of October 2013, and now it is complete! :D

Happy Hacking! :)

Mega Man: Upgrade Patch v1.6
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4661

Please report any bugs here:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7800
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:40:49 pm by Rockman »

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Mega Man: Upgrade Patch RELEASED
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:30:21 pm »
Very awesome, I love anything that makes a rom easier to work with.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 12:55:20 am »
I released a new patch, V2, which fixes the two bugs I found.  You can get it from the new link above.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »
It would be awesome if someone could take a part of the extra space to make something like this:

Not sure if possible, though.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:43 pm »
It would be awesome if someone could take a part of the extra space to make something like this:

Not sure if possible, though.
Where did that screen shot come from? I can use it in my tg16 version of MM1, if the author doesn't mind.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:08:08 am »
Where did that screen shot come from? I can use it in my tg16 version of MM1, if the author doesn't mind.
It's a quick edit I made between MM1's original screen and this:

It's been made by the author of RockMan 7 FC and RockMan 8 FC almost five years ago, so I think it's free to use.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:13:29 am »
It's a quick edit I made between MM1's original screen and this:

It's been made by the author of RockMan 7 FC and RockMan 8 FC almost five years ago, so I think it's free to use.

Those look awfully familiar...

Left: My NES hack. Right:My GM project.

I can't remember where the hell I got the Oilman and Timeman mugs.
At any rate, now that this patch is out I'm planning to revive the hack version of my project.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:22:01 am by Vanya »

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:58:41 am »
Cripes Vanya that's some insane work.  You did that to megaman 1?!  That must have been a huge amount of changes to the programming on top of graphics.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 06:31:10 am »
I'm no masochist. lol.
The ROM hack work on the left side was done on the MM5 rom. I am, though, quite proud of the highjacking I did to the text display routine to have it print the name of the Robot Master at the bottom of the screen instead of them being listed under each portrait.

Here is the patch and a short vid of it in action:

PATCH R2 ALPHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBxw3Zhh9zA

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:16:49 am by Vanya »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:35:34 am »
Last I checked the megaman powered down project vanya was working on was based on Megaman 5's rom and it wasn't ever finished.

I hope this MMC3 conversion will allow that project to become reality. I want an 8-bit conversion of the excellent PSP remake!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 06:45:25 am »
That is correct. And I plan to do just that. The upgrade patch is a godsend for me in this.

The first thing I'm going to do when I start hacking the upgraded MM1 ROM is recreate all the things I did in MM5with the graphics updated to match the modifications I made to the GameMaker version pictured above on the right.
And, ya know, I'm actually very happy to be able to use MM1 for this project because it doesn't have the annoying black bar on the left of the screen like MM5 did.
It'll still be a challenge for me to do all the things I want to do. At least now I have a buttload (real unit of measure BTW) of space to work with.
Right off the bat I'm going to have to figure out how to add an intro sequence before the title and how to add two more selections on the select screen and two whole new stages. It'll be fun, but a lot of work and that's not even considering new enemies and playable characters.
Fortunately I still have all the resources I created before preserved in my last patch. I may need help from a more experienced ASM programmer for the more complicated stuff and I'll definitely need help from someone proficient with the MM1 sound code for changes and additions to the music.

That said I also can't wait to see what others can do with this.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:53:58 am »
Do you also plan on editing the stages themselves? Megaman Powered Up's 'new style' upgrades all of the levels that appeared in the NES games quite drastically.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:28 am »
I had already begun doing that after the R2 patch was released.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:10 pm »
I may need help from a more experienced ASM programmer for the more complicated stuff and I'll definitely need help from someone proficient with the MM1 sound code for changes and additions to the music.

That said I also can't wait to see what others can do with this.

I can probably help out with the music engine. I've done my share of taking them apart, putting them in other projects, etc. And having worked on NES APU emulation, I understand the hardware side pretty decently.

If you do a MM1 hack of powered down (with this mmc3 upgrade), I'd love to do a nes2pce conversion of that hack.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 09:17:55 pm »
Well, if I have some support for the above stuff I will bust my ass to get it made because it's one of my dream projects.
If you want I'll pm you about what I want to do, tomaitheous.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:25 am »
I'm no masochist. lol.
The ROM hack work on the left side was done on the MM5 rom. I am, though, quite proud of the highjacking I did to the text display routine to have it print the name of the Robot Master at the bottom of the screen instead of them being listed under each portrait.

Here is the patch and a short vid of it in action:

PATCH R2 ALPHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBxw3Zhh9zA

That is a really impressive hijack.  Unfortunately unless there's a chunk of free space somewhere most rom hacking involves hijacking / rewriting a function into something else.  For my gimmick! hack I rewrote the point based oneup function to display health instead.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 10:06:29 am »
Well, if I have some support for the above stuff I will bust my ass to get it made because it's one of my dream projects.
If you want I'll pm you about what I want to do, tomaitheous.

Definitely :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »
That is a really impressive hijack.  Unfortunately unless there's a chunk of free space somewhere most rom hacking involves hijacking / rewriting a function into something else.  For my gimmick! hack I rewrote the point based oneup function to display health instead.

Thanks. It was a pain finding the extra space I needed, but it worked out in the end. However, with this hack that won't be an issue at all. I had a closer look at it and there is an assload of free space.

Definitely :)

Will do!

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 01:53:12 pm »
One of the coolest aspects of Powered Up was being able to play as the robot masters, Protoman, Roll (who attacks with a broom, very different from Zynk's Roll♥chan hack), Rock (before becoming Rockman) and also the later Rockman that can slide and charge shoot.

Given the amount of free space you speak of, do you think any of that might be doable in a rom hack of MM1 playable on the real NES hardware?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:54 pm »
I intend to try.  I think there is enough space to do at least the Robot Masters as playable characters. If I get a good working knowledge of the player code in the game I should be able to adapt it so that I can just swap out the graphics and adjust the relevant data to create a reasonable interpretation of the Robot Masters.

If it works out ok and there is enough space I will definitely consider the other playable characters. However I'm also considering the possibility of having the Construction mode in the game, too. Plenty of the earliest NES games have level editors built in and while those are pretty much all single screen games it does seem doable for a limited number of stages here. And given the ability to distribute SRAM files people will even be able to share their creations as well. It will be no small feat however.

I should really start a new thread for this as soon as I have some work done.