News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Japanese PS2 Hex Editor Suggestion

Started by Bob Liu, January 06, 2014, 11:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Liu

I want to translate a Japanese PS2 visual novel/dating sim game but don't know which hex editor I should use as there should be one that others have used and can recommend so please do.

Gemini

You don't want to use a Hex Editor for translations. That's like opening a bottle of wine with a jackhammer. Use Hex Editor for investigating the formats, then you can approach a possible way of turning your results into a translation.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Bob Liu

Quote from: Gemini on January 06, 2014, 12:35:36 PM
You don't want to use a Hex Editor for translations. That's like opening a bottle of wine with a jackhammer. Use Hex Editor for investigating the formats, then you can approach a possible way of turning your results into a translation.

I didn't mean to use a hex editor to translate but for one to access the files as im kinda lost and need a recommendation on a hex editor that others have used for Japanese PS2 games.

Cargodin

I personally use Windhex, and more often than not, you really just need to pick up the SJIS table here on this RHDN and you're well enough to just start digging, really. Some people recommend MadEdit, but I've never really bonded with it well enough to vouch for it.

I don't have a lot of experience in editing anything in a hex editor, however, and PS2 hacking as I'm aware of it has been mostly untraveled territory. I only do text dumps on a regular basis now that I made a lot of progress in finding text within Abarenbou Princess for PS2. It really depends on  the way the game was compiled if you're going to find anything. The biggest problem is making sure you're looking in the right files.

Just dump the text and start making it pretty from there. If you don't have anyone with more experience in that department ripping text for you, that's really all I can throw my two cents in.

Just curious, what game were you peaking into?

Bob Liu

Thanks for the info and I want to translate the saikano/she the ultimate weapons ps2 visual novel game, I probably won't make any progress but I want to see if I can because I really want to play the game as it wasn't released in English. The games files are mostly in DAT and IRX files and you can edit the games text with hex editors but just say I wanted to extract the game images or sounds files, how would I go about doing that if possible.

January 09, 2014, 10:34:34 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Yello any reply.