News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hi! Question.  (Read 2243 times)

etony33

• View Profile
Hi! Question.
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:20 pm »
Hi,

My name is Tony. My issue is for the classic Sega Genesis game, Phantasy Star II. As those of you who have played it know, something happens to a character named Nei in the game. My knowledge of ROM hacking is very, very basic. I know how to hack her back into your party after her incident with Neifirst, but the problem is, she gets no new equipment after that, so she falls behind the rest of the party. I know there are modded ROMs out there that have new equipment for Nei, but they also have major changes to the game, and I don't want that. I just want to have new equipment that is available for her, and no other changes to the game. Could one of you help me?

Abramelin

• View Profile
Re: Hi! Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:58:06 am »
Have you looked for any tools or rom documents of this game? That's where you start. Also, if you have little knowledge of rom hacking, learn about hex editing, finding data location inside the rom, pointers, etc. then try to figure out how would you do what you want (In this case, either making an existing equip be available for the character or creating an entirely new equip in rom ).

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »
I'm studying the ROM now, for others purposes. Maybe datas for weapons are located next to the weapon name. If so, names are located from offset 0x12ED0. You'll need the encoding tbl file, I put it here.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:45:48 pm »
Yeah, fedorajoe helped me out with that. Thanks though.