News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rockman 4 MI menu freeze?  (Read 9459 times)

guitarzombie

• View Profile
Rockman 4 MI menu freeze?
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:22:38 pm »
Hey all.   So I just put Rockman 4 MI on an NES cart.  Runs great!  The problem is, every time I get into the menu and hit the B button for 'help' the game goes haywire and crashes.  But all the levels seem to work great and even the main weapons menu.  Any ideas?  Could this just be a bad solder somewhere?  It looks pretty clean and I went over it twice.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Rockman 4 MI menu freeze?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:39:26 pm »
It's not a bad solder it's a glitch in the game.  You can romhack it out.

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
Thanks Drakon.  Since i posted this I rewired it and also used the controller patch and it still didnt work.  Can you shed some light on any info to help me remove it?  Or point me in the right direction?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:19 am »
There's a controller patch?

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:50:51 am »
Yeah, theres a patch that deals with an issue where during game play on the console the weapons menu would randomly be accessed.  It had to do with the controller input or something.  Regardless I patched it and it fixed that problem, but that menu glitch is the only thing preventing it from being perfect.  Perhaps the other issue im having is probably related.  During the select screen you can switch between japanese and english using the select button.  Works on an emulator but not on my version so I think they're related.

I haven't gotten much info searching about this glitch ive got so anything would help.  Whether its a patch or editing the hex file.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 08:13:18 am »
It's possible to disable that useless menu through romhacking, I've never bothered trying to change the language.  If you want it done you'll need to use a nes debugger (fceux I think is popoular but I'm not sure) and find out how to disable the call for the menu that crashes the game.

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 09:37:11 am »
Thanks for the info.  I did some searching and I noticed someone else mentioning this but without a solution.  I'll have to try to figure this out.  Its a little annoying since it only crashes on the hardware and not on the emulation.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 10:58:16 am »
Thanks for the info.  I did some searching and I noticed someone else mentioning this but without a solution.  I'll have to try to figure this out.  Its a little annoying since it only crashes on the hardware and not on the emulation.

There's a couple of interesting glitches on real hardware.  When you clear the game I remember one part the credits start scrolling in the wrong place.

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »
Hah really?  I was hoping there wasn't anymore (game breaking at least)!  Looks like im a bit over my head with this stuff.  I'll just wait until theres some patches made that'll fix whatever problems their are, but i'm happy to know its just the code and not my wiring.

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 02:21:21 pm »
Hmm NES debugger  ;D ? Drakon is right about using FCEUX. I suggest that.
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »
Hmm NES debugger  ;D ? Drakon is right about using FCEUX. I suggest that.

I call them debuggers, emulator with debug mode.  Not sure what I should call them.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:27:41 am »
The problem is that your main SRAM has garbage from the previous game (the original game from the donor cart).
Seems that the game doesn't erase Sram, and it cause some conflicts if there is garbage in the Sram.

So, short the battery for a few seconds and all will work like magic  :)

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 07:56:36 pm »
I just noticed this now.  Wow is it really that easy? 

EDIT.

I just tried it and it didn't work.  I did lose my save tho so I know something worked.  How long should it really be done?  I tried it for a couple of seconds, and then after it didn't work I tried it for about 15.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:48:59 pm by guitarzombie »

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:20 pm »
Check your box.....

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:17:24 pm »
BTW as an update the shorting of the Sram worked!  So once again thanks Dgdiniz!

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:35 am »
I just tried this on a freshly burned MI 0.02 rom and it worked.  Thanks a lot for letting us know.

guitarzombie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 09:57:40 am »
Thanks for the heads up that the 0.02 was just released.  Aside from the 'configuration' menu, is there anything else different?  I couldn't tell from the readme

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »
Thanks for the heads up that the 0.02 was just released.  Aside from the 'configuration' menu, is there anything else different?  I couldn't tell from the readme

There's a "true last boss" that you get if you make it to the third chimera boss without dieing.  I romhacked the game to give you the true last boss regardless if you die / continue or not.  The third chimera boss isn't nearly as interesting and I doubt I'd ever clear the entire thing without dieing somewhere.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 04:19:46 am »

The biggest addition to the new prealpha is the configuration mode which allows you to adjust the game's difficulty to be easier than older builds or even harder, depending on how you set it up. I am currently working hard on a complete English translation of everything in the entire game, but the current public prealpha does not include my work yet. This version should still be considered early access and not complete.

It also has changes to the stage layouts to make them slightly more fair. The specific changes are slight, like the addition of a single block to make long jumps a tiny bit easier. This was my doing as I implicitly made this recommendations directly in Japanese to the creator.

There are also numerous bugfixes and various unlockable post game content including a speed run mode. The other secrets I'm not at liberty to publicly talk about at this time. Some things are still very much buggy and can crash the game.

A more stable build with my work inserted will be released soonish.

In the meantime, Drakon has hacked the prealpha to be easier, but none of his changes will carry forth with future revisions unless he decides to manually make those changes again. Both the author and I feel that the configuration mode allows the player to adjust the difficulty on their own to suit their skills and since the game automatically saves after every single stage, there's no reason at all for Drakon's hack. It's his choice to hack the prealpha to his liking, but it will not be officially recognized by the Minus Infinity staff.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 09:04:37 am »
Uhm, the only thing I "hacked to be easier" is the true last boss.  I made it so you get him regardless of clearing the game in one life.  I made some of his attacks do less damage.  I made him a little weaker against weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=417KWZoPfes&feature=youtu.be

skip to around 1:32:00 to see it in action.  Since recording this video I made weapons do a little more damage against him since I still felt he was too difficult when I recorded this.  I never asked for the approval of the staff or inclusion into this project.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:14:18 pm by Drakon »