News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy treasure chests  (Read 4314 times)

151rby

Final Fantasy treasure chests
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:00 am »
So I'm poking around with FFHackster, and while in the map editor I noticed something slightly unexpected. As anyone familiar with FF knows, there are some treasure chests that just don't contain anything. I'd assumed that there were map tiles devoted specifically to empty chests. However, I'm finding that that is not the case; the empty chests are actually "normal" treasure tiles (in Marsh Cave B3 they're Iron armors, while in Marsh Cave B2 they're Short swords). Apparently, they're only empty because the "already been opened" condition is already applied to them before the player attempts to open them.

Now here's where I started wondering about stuff. How does the game determine whether or not a given chest starts out empty? And how can one change this variable for a given treasure chest? I can't seem to find anything pertaining to it in Hackster. This could potentially be a bit troublesome for me, because I want to replace one of the empty chests with a chest that contains something, but how could I ensure that the new chest will not also start out empty?

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy treasure chests
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »
I havent done a full treasure analysis yet, but I think the answer has to do with duplicate chests in the original game. So far I have only checked how treasure data works in Coneria Castle. If you create, lets say, 3 (Coneria 1) treasure chests, once you open one, the rest are empty. I was actually disappointed that you cant double up on chests. Each chest has one pointer, which is hard coded.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:13 am »
Treasures in the Marsh Cave appear in multiple locations. The Short Sword you mentioned is located in two spots, once on the lower end going down, and once on the upper end. The Iron Armor is in 2 rooms on the third floor. They are legitimately empty because you are picking them up. To confirm them, you can right click the treasure-in-question and see chests being selected twice.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

151rby

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:36:41 am »
I havent done a full treasure analysis yet, but I think the answer has to do with duplicate chests in the original game. So far I have only checked how treasure data works in Coneria Castle. If you create, lets say, 3 (Coneria 1) treasure chests, once you open one, the rest are empty. I was actually disappointed that you cant double up on chests. Each chest has one pointer, which is hard coded.
That would explain it. But I think it probably is possible to double up on chests. For instance, there are two Heals in Matoya's cave. I reckon you'd just have to make a separate tiles that contain the same treasure, instead of using the same treasure tiles multiple times.