News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Persona 5  (Read 25948 times)

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Persona 5
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 05:55:47 pm »
Though... are the PSP ports not a good place to start with on the older titles? I noticed like, 2 or 3 of them have been ported to it over the years.
Persona 3 portable is a good one, although the game was somewhat "down-graded". The others are remakes of the ones before that, which were vastly different. I still think they are good, but the Persona popularity really started with 3.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2016, 12:58:26 am »
http://kotaku.com/persona-5-delayed-to-april-1789057140

The fifth Persona is delayed yet again, this time to April 4, 2017, Atlus announced today on a stream. To make up for this delay, the publisher says they’re adding dual audio, so you’ll be able to play with either Japanese or English voices. Still a bummer.

This marks the 193120392103192nd delay of Persona 5, which was originally scheduled for release in 2015. Word out of Japan is that it’s really, really good.

tl;dr Persona 5 will get a Dual Audio, release date for the US is moved from February 14, 2017 to April 4, 2017. At least its not on April 1st...

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2016, 09:17:47 am »
Dual audio is nice, specially for a game like Persona which takes part on modern Japan and has a Japanese cast.
I don't even own a PS3 or a PS4, so I'm not that sad about the delay(as long it is the last one).
I probably wouldn't have bought it in February anyway....

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2016, 11:45:52 am »
Though... are the PSP ports not a good place to start with on the older titles? I noticed like, 2 or 3 of them have been ported to it over the years.
Late, but...

For 1 PSP is strongly recommended.  On the PS1 Persona 1 is known as one of the worst localization jobs in the PS1's history at least for various reasons (whole parts are rewritten, completely cut a whole sidequest, etc.).

However I find in general the music and FMVs are way better in the originals (there is a hack in which you can play the PSP version of 1 with the original music), and that's why I'd personally rather play the PS1 fan translation of Innocent Sin.  You'd need to play the other half of P2 through PS1 anyway IIRC.

EDIT: Mentioned patch has a link in this forum thread, however keep in mind that it's not what one would call a perfect solution: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20050.0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:57:01 pm by Chronosplit »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »
Late, but...

For 1 PSP is strongly recommended.  On the PS1 Persona 1 is known as one of the worst localization jobs in the PS1's history at least for various reasons (whole parts are rewritten, completely cut a whole sidequest, etc.).

However I find in general the music and FMVs are way better in the originals (there is a hack in which you can play the PSP version of 1 with the original music), and that's why I'd personally rather play the PS1 fan translation of Innocent Sin.  You'd need to play the other half of P2 through PS1 anyway IIRC.

Yeah, if possible play the original on the ps1, ONLY THE JAPANESE VERSION THOUGH. they just destroyed it when bringing it over here. and in the psp versions they took out quite a bit of the music, not just replacing it but actually removing some and inserting a reused track in its place.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 02:27:44 pm »
Wow, forgot all about this after all these years. Very disappointed about the game not dropping on Valentine's day, but either way, from what I've seen of friends playing it -- which admittedly isn't a whole lot because I don't like to be spoiled -- and heard, it's everything's it's cracked up to be.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »
I've beaten P3 and P4 to a pulp, have played a little of P2 and am currently playing through P1 PSP--some thoughts on Persona generally:

--The original US P1 PS1 release is worth looking at for cheese value, but not much more IMO.  The game is OK, but there are just so many game systems that were streamlined in much better ways in 3 & 4.  I'm going to finish P1 PSP, but the experience has reinforced my opinions about how much better P3 and P4 (but only the PS2 versions) are.

--I admittedly have not played through P2 in a significant way, but it felt like a much more cleaned up P1, which is not a bad thing.  I might give it a go at some point, since I've heard a number of people say it's one, if not the, best of the 4.

--P3...I personally love a lot about P3, but Tartarus is kind of awful.  Outside of that, all the remakes make the game easier than the original, but FES has a number of quality of life improvements I'm a big fan of with the optional Hard difficulty, which is a sufficient substitute for all the nerfs from the original.  The PSP version just makes things even easier, and even though I'm not a glutton for super difficult games, it really felt far, far too easy.  I'd recommend FES if you can get it, but only "The Journey" if you don't like Tartarus--"The Answer" is just one giant maze of dungeons, and I thought it ruined some stuff from the normal plot.

--P4 is probably my personal favorite in a number of ways.  I always play on Hard, and that has always felt like just the right amount of difficulty for me--enough to force me to prep well, but not enough to force me to power-level for hours and hours.  The dungeons are much less tedious and more manageable for me in P4, and I really, really liked the individual themes of them quite a bit.  It's not as dark as P3, but the plot really grew on me.  The Vita version makes everything WAY too easy though (not to mention adds some things I wasn't a big fan of), so I avoid it like the plague.

P5 looks like it combines a lot of stuff I liked from P3 and P4, with some stuff I was neutral on from P1 & 2, so I'll be looking forward to possibly getting my hands on it next summer when I get some time.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 04:51:00 am »
https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/849170020202688512

i feel bad for all the people who put up with the delays for

THIS

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2017, 07:52:15 am »
Got my copy today (PS3).  :D

Seems the "dual audio" is a DLC? There's no option for changing the audio on the config menu.  :huh:

And Igor got a DEEP voice vs. the old Igor-ish voice. Lulz if there was a DLC for the old Igor voice.  :laugh:

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 09:30:09 am »
Fortunately I can't buy this yet thanks to school/job searches.

That translation is...definitely not the quality I would expect from people who've released (pretty good) games in English before.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
Oh, got around to trying P1 and P3 on PSP.

P1 - I like the gameplay and 1st person exploration, but during the time I messed around with it I heard like, the same 1 annoying pop song the ENTIRE time, regardless of where I was. I might  just need to get past some more plot stuff, but that music's killing the atmosphere the story's trying to build up.

P3 - ...meh. I like the battle system, but the super-toned-down-ness of exploration on this version of P3 makes me feel like I'm playing a visual novel rather than an RPG.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:16 pm »
I wouldn't put the blame on the translators, I'm sure they were trying their best to get the game out, but maybe later they will put out a update to fix the issues.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 07:42:53 pm »
From what I heard part of the problem is the English VAs voicing along with the text regardless of how clunky or stilted it sounds, I'd figure that's not something you can patch without some pretty major time and expense.

For me though, It sucks, and Persona 5 deserved so much better treatment, but It's not a deal  breaker since I deal with this shit constantly while watching anime or reading light novels anyway.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 08:19:51 pm »
I wouldn't put the blame on the translators, I'm sure they were trying their best to get the game out, but maybe later they will put out a update to fix the issues.
Doubtful.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 08:53:43 pm »
I miss when Atlus would translate titles during the GBA era.  They actually made Super Robot Wars OG work out.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 11:30:56 pm »
And now Atlus is putting stringent rules on Persona 5 streaming and video making.

And Atlus just went from one of my favorite companies to one of my least. That's about as anti-consumer as it gets. "Play by our rules or we'll shut your shit down!"

I'd like to say "Won't be buying that", but I already have a Japanese copy. At least I don't have to worry about that godawful translation. =/

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 05:41:35 am »
The gesture is such over the top futility it's better to laugh off than criticize. Any spoilers worth spoiling, got out months ago in Japan.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 12:49:11 pm »
Persona 5's script is objectively bad. The acting is alright, perhaps in spite of the text, but wow, the text is *bad*.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2017, 09:58:04 pm »
Persona 5's script is objectively bad. The acting is alright, perhaps in spite of the text, but wow, the text is *bad*.

Sadly people got what they asked for. Crying to purgatory and back how amazing Japanese game scripts are, demonizing changes to them, without an understanding of the original language to possibly qualify to make such judgments.

Where do you draw the line when it comes to deciding entertainment value vs cold serious accuracy?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:14:40 pm by tc »