News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214306 times)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #420 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:18 pm »
It's the same problem I ran into with the FFIIj with the pointers. Ninja Magic comes RIGHT AFTER Call/Summon in the space where the battle menu names are. IF there was a way to change those pointers it could easily fit. But FFIIUS squeezed the word Call in between Black and Ninja. So Summon in the battle menu MUST be 4 characters. I can try to redraw it to make it fit better, but there isn't room for the extra character. Everywhere else, Summon fits.

Okay, I understand now. Personally, I don't think it's going to be possible to make it look good in 4 characters. Why not just make it Summ (or leave it as Call)?

In case anyone was wondering, I crushed the new Zeromus! He did actually manage to kill people this time, though, and my levels were quite a bit higher than before! Flare did 2700 damage to Edward, and Big Bang sometimes hit people for over 2000. And, yes, this time the Kitchen Knife found its mark!

Thanks again, everyone!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 05, 2015, 11:09:29 pm »

I just redrew the word Summon in the tiles. It's still squished terribly even for my standards, but it works for the time being until someone can tell me how to change specifically THAT pointer to another location in the ROM.

February 05, 2015, 11:33:28 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I redrew again, this time with my wife's keen eye for how it looks. Her and I both agree on this one is as good as its going to get.

BTW, it's her birthday tonight so I'm sure this isn't how she expected to spend some of it...She needs a  :cookie:  >:D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:33:32 pm by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2015, 11:52:46 pm »
Thank you, Rodimus' wife! :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2015, 06:10:37 am »
I changed "Call" to "Sumon" in both battle and the menu using FF4kster and nothing messed up in the rom... not that I could see at least...
Let's dance!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2015, 07:18:09 am »
If we could change our little squish tile fest to try and spell Summon, we could do that. I just don't wanna mess anything up and if it doesn't, there's no reason not to change it. Thanks Pinkpuff :)

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 06, 2015, 12:15:03 pm »
Is it possible to squish it in a way where you can use one letter as normal and the others are squished? Like for example, the S would be normal but the "ummon" part would be squished into four characters?

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like I'm misinterpreting the issue. What about having Summon spelled out in the menu but squished in the battle?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:27:47 pm by TheZunar123 »
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 06, 2015, 06:22:12 pm »
I changed "Call" to "Sumon" in both battle and the menu using FF4kster and nothing messed up in the rom... not that I could see at least...

Cool. Found it. But I ran into a little issue. If you change it in the menu, it doesn't move Ninja so the u character shows up. It's present in the space in between all the menu commands in HEX, but because Sumon is five characters, it doesn't know to end there. Then if you go into Edge's menu, it screws the menu up completely.

To give example, White 00 70 01 Black 00 70 01 Call 00 70 01 Ninja 00 70 01.

The 70 reads as the letter u but the three create a function I suppose. There seems to be space after this so if everything was pushed one character it would work. Even if you change it in FF4Kster it messes up the menu when you look at Edge's magic. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:46:49 pm by Rodimus Primal »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 06, 2015, 08:35:04 pm »
Your best bet it sounds like is to find out where the menu text is being called and then make a table out of the letters.  The rest can be handled with Atlas and Cartographer when appropriately setup.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 06, 2015, 09:23:14 pm »
There are two unused menu magic labels after Ninja that some not too difficult hacking could point to.
Find the exact location in ROM of "Call's" C and set a breakpoint to it in Geiger's (remember you'll have to convert to LoROM). At the break, observe the value of (probably) x. Trace back a few ops to where x is set, and adjust it so that it points to one of the aforementioned unused spaces instead.
I found this all once, but I wasn't looking for it at the time, so like a dummy I didn't document it. Sorry.
If this is still an ongoing issue the next time I have some free time (Sunday?), I can look into it for you guys.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:44 pm »
There are two unused menu magic labels after Ninja that some not too difficult hacking could point to.
Find the exact location in ROM of "Call's" C and set a breakpoint to it in Geiger's (remember you'll have to convert to LoROM). At the break, observe the value of (probably) x. Trace back a few ops to where x is set, and adjust it so that it points to one of the aforementioned unused spaces instead.
I found this all once, but I wasn't looking for it at the time, so like a dummy I didn't document it. Sorry.
If this is still an ongoing issue the next time I have some free time (Sunday?), I can look into it for you guys.

I've seen those before as well Chillyfeez, when I asked about them a long time ago I was told that they're the blank space for "no magic" for instance White (No Magic), (No Magic). Seemed an odd way to go about it in any event if such is the case.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 06, 2015, 10:04:38 pm »
Even if that's what they're for (which seems really weird), there's no reason both blanks can't point to the same blank space, and one be used for something else.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 06, 2015, 10:37:39 pm »
Even if that's what they're for (which seems really weird), there's no reason both blanks can't point to the same blank space, and one be used for something else.

Indeed, I do hope some looking into the pointers will clarify something about this.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 06, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
To be honest guys, I'm content with keeping it as is unless someone else wants to take a crack at it. It says Summon, the letters aren't touching like they were and Rydia is now a Summoner, as she should be IMO. The version currently uploaded to the site is not that version, however it will be upon vivify's next update. Like I said before if someone can do it just to extend by ONE hexidecimal point without messing up the rest of the game by all means. I have the tiles there for a 5 tile Summon as used in the battle menu.

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 07, 2015, 07:42:06 am »
Does changing "Ninja" help? i.e. "Arts" perhaps?
Let's dance!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:58 am »
Without looking for the pointers, changing or moving Ninja over results in Edge's magic to say Black instead of Ninja.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:25:35 am by Rodimus Primal »

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 08, 2015, 11:31:54 am »
Change Twin Harp in the Namingway patch to WispWeed or EchoPlant.
More eyepleasing alternative names to enemies in Namingway edition.
Gigntoad - Gigatoad
FireKngt- Fire Kn.
YellwJelly: Y. Jelly
Rubicante's battle name - Rubicant
ThundrD. - Bolt Drgn
White D. - W. Drgn
FellKngt. - Fell Kn.
MythrGol. - MtGolem
BkKnight -  Blck Nite
Li'lKiller - Lilmurder
Dinozombi - Zombisaur
D.Sahagin - Sandhag
Pink Puff - Pink Flan
SoulKngt - Soul Kn.
G. Needle - Gold Pin
Antarctic - Sth Wind
Arctic - NrthWind
For Basic Patch
Gale -Wind
Venom - Toxic
Fury - Either Besrk or Power
Pearl - Fader
Fast - Haste
Ice1 - Ice 1
Lit - Elec or Bolt

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2015, 12:12:53 pm »
Change Twin Harp in the Namingway patch to WispWeed or EchoPlant.
More eyepleasing alternative names to enemies in Namingway edition.
Gigntoad - Gigatoad
FireKngt- Fire Kn.
YellwJelly: Y. Jelly
Rubicante's battle name - Rubicant
ThundrD. - Bolt Drgn
White D. - W. Drgn
FellKngt. - Fell Kn.
MythrGol. - MtGolem
BkKnight -  Blck Nite
Li'lKiller - Lilmurder
Dinozombi - Zombisaur
D.Sahagin - Sandhag
Pink Puff - Pink Flan
SoulKngt - Soul Kn.
G. Needle - Gold Pin
Antarctic - Sth Wind
Arctic - NrthWind

Hmm, I think almost all of those suggestions for Namingway would be worse than the present. I especially don't want to the Dragon names changed! They are perfect.

However, changing TwinHarp would make sense. Whisper, maybe?

No one ever responded to my suggestion about the way the squishy tiles being redrawn so that they don't touch the letter to the left. :(

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2015, 01:26:17 pm »
Wait, what? Fury should be Bserk unless Rodimus changed it...

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »
The shopkeeper still doesn't say I buy most things! when you sell items. Also it'll be cool if there was a patch that made Zeromus like he was in Easy Type, complete with new sprite and Count. Also the tossed dress sprite is unused. Also, did you fix the text strings that are supposed to show up when you fight Yang in Baron? Also can you fix the infamous inconsistent Airship and make Rydia learn Cure2 by leveling instead of when she appears in the Dwarven Castle?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2015, 05:09:11 pm »
I didn't change Berserk back to Fury. Maybe they're using an old version?