News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214401 times)

Cavery210

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2015, 04:20:45 pm »
The lady in the Baron item shop has an extra y at the end of her sentence. Perhaps you could add a new dialogue with this y like "You know it's better to feel safe than sorry."

February 04, 2015, 04:26:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also the "Ow!" used when you talk to a fireplace doesn't sound natural. Can you change it to " YOUCH! HOT HOT HOT!"

February 04, 2015, 04:28:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And whatever happened to the stripping dancer at Baron?

February 04, 2015, 04:43:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also Kain has the Willpower and Spirit stats. Could you give him some basic black or white magic like Fire, Ice, Lit and Cure for him to use?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:43:00 pm by Cavery210 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2015, 05:15:48 pm »
The Crossbow and Thunder Arrows are there so Porom has something to do in her last dungeon instead of just sitting there, doing nothing, until someone needs to be healed.
I didn't think of that. I get it now. I didn't give her a bow (didn't occur to me).

Glad you more or less had fun with Project II, Chrysologus.
I had tons of fun! That's why I gave so much feedback. It's such a great hack, it's like how this game should have been.

Could you give him some basic black or white magic like Fire, Ice, Lit and Cure for him to use?
Dragoons can't cast spells!

Since we were going for a true to FF4j game, changing Zeromus 's power should be done. I can do it.
Yay!!! You're the best. Looking forward with eagerness to that! (That will also give me a chance to level Rydia up to get Meteo(r)! I guess the game makers really didn't want you to be casting Meteo(r)!) Are you going to change the White Dragon and/or Asura as well?

I actually just remembered that I was going to ask why the Dwarf shopkeeper vanishes later in the game. Is that deliberate? Did you have to remove him to make space or something, or is this a glitch?

Also, for Namingway (of course!), (shuriken)Ninja should be (shuriken)Fuma, yes?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:23:08 pm by Chrysologus »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2015, 05:21:14 pm »
I didn't think of that. I get it now. I didn't give her a bow (didn't occur to me).
I had tons of fun! That's why I gave so much feedback. It's such a great hack, it's like how this game should have been.
Dragoons can't cast spells!
Yay!!! You're the best. Looking forward with eagerness to the Zeromus change! That will also give me a chance to level Rydia up to get Meteo(r)! I guess the game makers really didn't want you to be casting Meteo(r)! (Are you going to change the White Dragon and/or Asura as well?)

I actually just remembered that I was going to ask why the Dwarf shopkeeper vanishes later in the game. Is that deliberate? Did you have to remove him to make space or something, or is this a glitch?

Also, for Namingway (of course!), (shuriken)Ninja should be (shuriken)Fuma, yes?

There's a reason they don't want the player casting Meteo... it has Awful charge time, Bahamut has 3, Meteo has 10. Meteo does deal 200 base damage which is Incredulous, and can deal 9999 to anything it touches with Rydia, but Bahamut already can do that without that extremely high charge time and he has only 60 base damage.

It's a shame, but no version of FFIV has ever made Meteo a viable choice over Bahamut as far as I've found.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
Well Kain has some unused casting animations. Perhaps this hack should use them for some basic spells.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 04, 2015, 06:07:29 pm »
Well Kain has some unused casting animations. Perhaps this hack should use them for some basic spells.

This hack only aims to put things as they were originally (and upgrading some things that needed updated like the Dummy'd commands!) therefore having Kain learn magic would not fit with the theme of this hack.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 04, 2015, 07:16:17 pm »
There's a reason they don't want the player casting Meteo... it has Awful charge time, Bahamut has 3, Meteo has 10.
Reduce cast time to 2? Might be interesting.  ;D

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »
The lady in the Baron item shop has an extra y at the end of her sentence. Perhaps you could add a new dialogue with this y like "You know it's better to feel safe than sorry."
Fixed. You're playing Namingway Edition, I see. When I started advertising Namingway as a feature, I was worried no one would play Vanilla anymore. I really, really hate all the abbreviations in Namingway, to be honest, and I recommend vanilla Project II above all...

Also the "Ow!" used when you talk to a fireplace doesn't sound natural. Can you change it to " YOUCH! HOT HOT HOT!"

Also Kain has the Willpower and Spirit stats. Could you give him some basic black or white magic like Fire, Ice, Lit and Cure for him to use?
No and no. Sorry. There's not enough room to write, "YEOWCH! Hot, hot, hot!", and giving Kain magic would be out of the scope of this mod.

And whatever happened to the stripping dancer at Baron?
She's been gone in FFII US. You're about 24 years too late, I'm afraid! :P I'm pretty sure the code for her events is gone and can't easily be restored.

It's an unintended bug, I gather. The second shopkeep was removed from FFII US since he only sold dummied status-healing items, so I had to actually remove an NPC and make him into the new shopkeep.

I have to ask, though--when did you notice his disappearance? If it was after you can freely travel between the Overworld and Underworld, that's fine, since you can go any number of places to get the status heals after that. If it was before, we have a problem.

Edit - His presence seems to be deactivated after going to the Moon, so there's no problem.

Fuma Shuriken has been fixed already; not sure how it got reverted to Ninja Star.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:37:37 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2015, 08:03:26 pm »
When I started advertising Namingway as a feature, I was worried no one would play Vanilla anymore. I really, really hate all the abbreviations in Namingway, to be honest, and I recommend vanilla Project II above all...
The way I see it, it depends on whether you're looking at this from an SNES/classic gaming point of view or a Final Fantasy point of view. From the classic gaming point of view, abbreviations are unnecessary and strange. From the Final Fantasy point of view, the short, different names are inconsistent and obscure the game.

His presence seems to be deactivated after going to the Moon, so there's no problem.
He must have taken a vacation. If only there were a way to change one of the other Dwarves dialogue to comment about his absence! That would be funny.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2015, 11:28:21 pm »
Fixed. You're playing Namingway Edition, I see. When I started advertising Namingway as a feature, I was worried no one would play Vanilla anymore. I really, really hate all the abbreviations in Namingway, to be honest, and I recommend vanilla Project II above all...

While Namingway was my idea and my contribution to the project, at the end of the day this is, as it always was, your mod. It's still your work.
Your work on the script and features. The excellent title screen. The incorporation of chillyfeez's features, etc.
That's why Namingway is distributed WITH Project II. People have the option of both. I'm just a contributer.

On a side note, I'm really wondering where typos are coming from. It bothers me that there are any errors caused that I didn't do, and I don't think vivify did either.

Namingway Edition will have the modified Zeromus script. Thanks a bunch Grimiore LD and Deathlike2!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:17:43 am by Rodimus Primal »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 05, 2015, 12:24:27 am »
Namingway Edition will have the modified Zeromus script. Thanks a bunch Grimiore LD and Deathlike2!
When is it coming?! I can't hardly wait! Thank you!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2015, 12:34:40 am »
For what it's worth, Vivify93, I'm in your camp about abbreviations. I'm not quite as chapped by the alternative as you seem to be... But I also didn't put so much of my heart and soul into a project whose aim was to clean up and restore the experience of playing this game, so your stance is understandable.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2015, 01:33:36 am »
Thank you, chillyfeez; that's all I've been trying to get across all along. But nonetheless, Namingway Edition is done. v2.07 will be released soon, though submission to the RHDN database will wait until later.

Edit - Here it is! Sorry it took so long; ever since I had that accident with an earlier upload, I've been very meticulous about archiving my work. ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:48:24 am by vivify93 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:39 am »
Yay!!!  :crazy:

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »
In the Namingway edition, Ethers are called Tinct. Can you change it back to Ether?

Also, can you change SandRuby into SandPerl or Sand Gem?

February 05, 2015, 04:46:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And for the Namingway patch, the StopTrap and MagicMap could be changed to Silk Web and DwfBread.

February 05, 2015, 04:50:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And can you change Parry back into Defend
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:50:21 pm by Cavery210 »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2015, 05:58:14 pm »
If you downloaded the latest version from vivify's link above, did you make sure it was with an unmodified headered Final Fantasy II 1.1 ROM? Both Vanilla Project II and Project II Namingway Edition are complete patches that don't need to be applied one on top of the other.

It's already Ether in Namingway. StopTrap is {hourglass}Bronze.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2015, 06:13:51 pm »
In the Namingway edition, Ethers are called Tinct. Can you change it back to Ether?

Also, can you change SandRuby into SandPerl or Sand Gem?

And for the Namingway patch, the StopTrap and MagicMap could be changed to Silk Web and DwfBread.

And can you change Parry back into Defend
Parry can't be easily changed. In the strings for little battle dialogue, there's "NeedMPParyChnge", and the "Pary" string doubles its own r to spell Parry; meanwhile, Chnge takes Pary's a to spell Change. Similarly, the NedMP string Otherwise, I would've made Change into Row a long time ago. As it stands, trying to turn Chnge into Row in battle turns it into "Roaw."

Stop Traps are actually the Hourglasses. Silk Webs are as they are. :) Remember, Namingway is a separate patch, to be applied to a normal, unmodified FFII US v1.1 ROM with a header, just as Rodimus said.

Edit - And it would be Rodimus' call if he wanted to make SandRuby to Sand Pearl or Sand Gem.

I forgot to say, it was an interesting suggestion to add dialogue to that woman in Baron's item shop, Cavery210, and I'd like to do it--but there just plumb isn't enough room. :(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:22:43 pm by vivify93 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
Ah, Rydia is a summoner! Looks great. But what gives with "Summon" being squished into only 4 tiles on the magic menu? It looks weird and then there's an unused fifth tile after it! Shouldn't it be squished into 5 in exactly the same way as it appears on the battle menu?

I like the hourglass icon.

Edit: I also have an aesthetic suggestion for the squishy tiles in names. Could you add a single pixel on the left edge so that the first squishy letter doesn't touch the previous letter? (As it is, I would have to agree with Vivify93 that they are not worth it.) You'll have to trim a single pixel from a letter, but I don't think that would be a problem. For instance, the k in the squishy "ink" (Pink Puff), the "n" in "ing" (PowerRing), and the "n" in "ian" (Red Giant), the "n" in "ind" (MindBlast), and the "n" in "ino" (Dinozombi) could all lose their leftmost pixel. I think that would look much better.

Edit 2: Doesn't the FAQ claim that Flare will now punch through Reflect (Wall)? Cause it certainly does not!

Edit 3: Does anyone know why I just had Rydia cast Flare on a Behemoth and it didn't cast Maelstrom against us as a counter (instead it attacked as a counter)? Was that removed from the SNES version? (If so, can we add it back!) Edit 4: OK, it just used Maelstrom in response to Holy. Is it just a percentage chance or what?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:09:17 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2015, 09:49:14 pm »
Flare as in the Twincast spell Pyro. You need to remember Flare was called Nuke, and Pyro was called Flare in FFII US. I was using FFII US terminology to not confuse people with all my new jargon. If the normal spell Nuke pierced Wall, it'd ruin a lot of enemy AI.

There is no room to spell out the word Summon in the ROM, so the squish-tile compromise had to be made.

The rest of that is probably stuff to be directed at Rodimus Primal.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »
There is no room to spell out the word Summon in the ROM, so the squish-tile compromise had to be made.
How can that be, since it is squished into 5 character on the battle menu? Can't the version on the battle menu also be used for the spell menu? If it can't be for whatever reason, I'd advocate changing it back because the tiny "Summon" looks out of place.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2015, 10:54:56 pm »
It's the same problem I ran into with the FFIIj with the pointers. Ninja Magic comes RIGHT AFTER Call/Summon in the space where the battle menu names are. IF there was a way to change those pointers it could easily fit. But FFIIUS squeezed the word Call in between Black and Ninja. So Summon in the battle menu MUST be 4 characters. I can try to redraw it to make it fit better, but there isn't room for the extra character. Everywhere else, Summon fits.