News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214370 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2015, 07:04:27 pm »
Keep us posted with any other things throughout your playthroughs so we can correct any glaring issues.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:54 pm »
Namingway: Finozomb? Shouldn't that be Dinozomb?

For consistency, I'd also recommend changing (clothing)White to (clothing)Wht.Robe.

This was odd: when I found the Red Fang in a chest, it just said "Found Red". The word Fang was missing (and I don't think there was a period at the end).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:35:36 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:36 pm »
Finozomb and Red have been fixed already. Wht.Robe / Blk.Robe may be Rodimus' call if he wants to call them as such in Namingway; Blk.Garb is DarkGear in Vanilla, as I tried to avoid abbreviations as much as possible!
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 02, 2015, 11:16:22 pm »
The spear that says "Woe to he" should say "Woe to him." The pronoun needs to be in the objective case because it's the object of the preposition.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:25 am »
Changed to "Woe unto him who seeks the Spear of Light!"

Thank you. :)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2015, 12:42:28 pm »
Wht. Robe and Blk. Robe works. I initially thought it might have been better not to but looking at it now, it makes sense.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:58 pm »
I'll just change them on my end, then, because I've made several changes to Namingway so far that'd need to get send over anyway.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 03, 2015, 08:02:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2015, 11:34:27 pm »
Here's a strange one: when I got to Zemus, the dialogue box where Cecil is supposed to shout the names of Fusoya and Golbez was completely blank. It didn't even say Cecil's name.

You really should have left Zemus saying "Silly!"  :P Or Edge saying, "I was to get him!" I didn't even realize how bad the translation was...

Also, can anyone explain to me why when I threw the Cleaver at Zeromus, it just said "Nothing happened" and did no damage?! Man, Zeromus is such a pushover! Was it always this way? Meteor didn't even hit any of my people when he cast it.

Translation suggestions:

"Buffs became invalid" seems awkwardly worded to me. How about just "Buffs removed" or "Buffs are removed"?

Fusoya's parting line. . . I'm a big Trekkie, but . . . . . . I'd change that.

Luca says "Cecil and others," which should probably be "Cecil and the others".

Rosa says "a while" instead of "awhile."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:19:21 am by Chrysologus »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 04, 2015, 12:29:14 am »
Here's a strange one: when I got to Zemus, the dialogue box where Cecil is supposed to shout the names of Fusoya and Golbez was completely blank. It didn't even say Cecil's name.

You really should have left Zemus saying "Silly!"  :P Or Edge saying, "I was to get him!" I didn't even realize how bad the translation was...

Also, can anyone explain to me why when I threw the Cleaver at Zeromus, it just said "Nothing happened" and did no damage?! Man, Zeromus is such a pushover! Was it always this way? Meteor didn't even hit any of my people when he cast it.

Translation suggestions:

"Buffs became invalid" seems awkwardly worded to me. How about just "Buffs removed" or "Buffs are removed"?

Meteor failing is a programmed aspect of the battle as its meant to show his strength ebbing away and only occurs when he has less than 10000 HP remaining. It's a neat idea....

I somewhat feel that Project II never went into his AI script and changed the Spell Power jumps back to their FFIV level and their still in their SNES FFII stage.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2015, 01:03:18 am »
Was Zeromus different in the Japanese version? The Gamer Corner guide for the PlayStation version has question marks for his stats, except for his HP being 130,000. Still, when I played the PlayStation version years ago, he seemed far harder.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2015, 01:08:38 am »
His AI may have been changed further for FFII US. All I did was restore the original stats, and yes, Grimoire LD--I did restore all foes' Magic Power. :)

Edit -

Peculiar. It's exclusive to Namingway. But, fixed. I had to reword some things slightly elsewhere, but Cecil shouting their names is there now. I also fixed an error with the chocobos exclusive to Namingway: "Giddyup, cocobo!"

Also, can anyone explain to me why when I threw the Cleaver at Zeromus, it just said "Nothing happened" and did no damage?!
Not a clue. That's happened to me, too. It's random, though; I assure you that you can hit Zeromus with the Cleaver.

I wanted to clearly write "Positive status effects have become invalid." But there wasn't enough room. I can change it to "Positive status removed."?

No way, man! I don't even watch Star Trek, but I thought it was a great fit there. It even sounds like something Fusoya might say.

Fixed in both patches.

Also fixed.

So, is that all then? Thanks for playing it to the end! :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:18:50 am by vivify93 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2015, 01:13:41 am »
Now I'm confused about his HP. A couple websites say it's only 65,000, but he restores it all once he gets low on HP though it doesn't show it on screen?

Big Bang did less than 2000 damage to everyone, which was easily healed by Rosa. Maybe I just sucked when I played before.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2015, 01:17:44 am »
That is peculiar. Is there any way we have of checking how much damage Big Bang does in FFIV's Japanese version compared to FFII US? Lik, its spell power or something.

Edit - And yes, that's Zeromus for you. He has a lot of HP and then it gets a refresh when it gets low.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 04, 2015, 07:03:02 am »
That is peculiar. Is there any way we have of checking how much damage Big Bang does in FFIV's Japanese version compared to FFII US? Lik, its spell power or something.

Edit - And yes, that's Zeromus for you. He has a lot of HP and then it gets a refresh when it gets low.

You might want to take a look at this Vivify93 and plan on putting those back into FFII.

http://rb.thundaga.com/data/ff2-4_atk_sequence_differences.txt

The section of interest here at the moment  is Zeromus' Spell Power being modified.

6. Sequence 4C: Zeromus' attack sequence has four small changes. During this sequence, he resets his magic
power four times. In FF4j, these values are 0x27, 0x27, 0x31, and 0x27. This is changed to 0x1F, 0x20, 0x24, and 0x20 in FF2us.
7. Sequence 4D: Zeromus' reflex sequence also resets his magic power. In FF4j it uses the value of 0x15, in FF2us it's 0x0E.
8. Sequence 4E: Same sequence as #7.
9. Sequence 55: Similar to #6. Values of 0x27, 0x15, and 0x27 are changed to 0x1F, 0x0E, and 0x20.
10. Sequence 58: Similar to #6. Value of 0x28 is changed to 0x24.

So there you have it. To fix this all you would need to do is change the "Modify Spell Power By..." in his AI Scripts and that make Zeromus back into his FFIV slaughtering self rather than the watered down Big Bang.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:31 am »
Oh, you should totally make those changes and I'll try Zeromus again! Making the change to Asura and the White Dragon will also be nice (though I'll admit I never actually cast Asura)!

Edit: In the meantime, I'll just try to get the Adamant Armor, Glass Mask, and Giant's Gloves! I didn't even know the latter two existed until today. (Crap, apparently there's a ton of very rare weapon drops I didn't know about either!)

Wait, why in Namingway is it still called PinkPuff? Shouldn't it be Princess, Flan, FlanPrin, or Flan Pr.? I'd opt for either Flan or Flan Pr.

Another edit: What about changing Selene to Moonmaid? She's called Moonmaiden in the DS and PSP releases.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:06:12 pm by Chrysologus »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
Oh, you should totally make those changes and I'll try Zeromus again! Making the change to Asura and the White Dragon will also be nice (though I'll admit I never actually cast Asura)!

Edit: In the meantime, I'll just try to get the Adamant Armor, Glass Mask, and Giant's Gloves! I didn't even know the latter two existed until today. (Crap, apparently there's a ton of very rare weapon drops I didn't know about either!)

Wait, why in Namingway is it still called PinkPuff? Shouldn't it be Princess, Flan, FlanPrin, or Flan Pr.? I'd opt for either Flan or Flan Pr.

Another edit: What about changing Selene to Moonmaid? She's called Moonmaiden in the DS and PSP releases.

I imagine they're still called PinkPuff out of tribute to the maker of the program which is making all of this possible, who is called PinkPuff.

FFIV has a lot of ridiculously rare equipment that a player will Likely never see. 1 of 64 from a 25% chance in the first place is just too little of a chance in my opinion. Part of the reason why I changed the rare drop 1/32 in Combat Boost and it makes quite a difference.

To clarify the thing about Asura is that it makes the fight easier. Her healing herself actually makes things more difficult rather than her buffing herself with the Absolutely Worthless Protect.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2015, 01:25:17 pm »
I imagine they're still called PinkPuff out of tribute to the maker of the program which is making all of this possible, who is called PinkPuff.
Ah. I was unaware. Of course, even if it were changed in Namingway, it would remain PinkPuff in Project II.

FFIV has a lot of ridiculously rare equipment that a player will Likely never see. 1 of 64 from a 25% chance in the first place is just too little of a chance in my opinion.
Agreed. I was only joking about trying to get them. The Pink Tail is actually easier to get than the others because you find the PinkPuffs (Flan Princesses) in batches of five! An individual enemy, like a Blue Dragon, only has a 5% chance of dropping an item, right? It would be madness, then, to try to grind Blue Dragons for the Dragon Whisker! Hey--was the glitch whereby it's not actually strong against Dragons corrected in Project II???

To clarify the thing about Asura is that it makes the fight easier. Her healing herself actually makes things more difficult rather than her buffing herself with the Absolutely Worthless Protect.
I'd still opt changing it for Namingway, at least, so that it conforms to the Japanese original, although only if the summon version can also be changed--is that possible? Far more important, though, to make such Zeromus's Big Bang has its full strength!

February 04, 2015, 02:44:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I'm all done now (pending a rematch against a beefed-up Zeromus), so I'd like to thank vivify93, Rodimus Primal and everybody else whose work created this! I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

My final comments:

Why are Thunder arrows (and Crossbow) now for sale at Baron? You shouldn't be able to buy Thunder arrows till Troia. It makes the Waterway easier, and I don't see why it should be. I'd also still advocate for changing the claw prices back to their originals, though it's trivial. Nearly all the other changes to the game are based on things that were dummied out of the original release, so these changes seem arbitrary to me.

What if the (knife)Cleaver were called the (knife)Kitchen? The name in the modern versions is Kitchen Knife.

Now I'm off to play Spooniest's textual fix-up of FF V!  8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:45:52 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2015, 03:16:09 pm »
- The Crossbow and Thunder Arrows are there so Porom has something to do in her last dungeon instead of just sitting there, doing nothing, until someone needs to be healed. True, she could cry at them now, and... then what? Cry a couple times and then sit there. I guess Tellah could sap some MP from her, too, if needed...

- I honestly do really think it's trivial that the Thunder Claws are the same price as the other claws. They all literally do the same thing, but with a different element.

- I'm considering asking Rodimus Primal to make the AI changes...

- Kitchen Knife would be his call, too.

Glad you more or less had fun with Project II, Chrysologus.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2015, 04:12:36 pm »
Since we were going for a true to FF4j game, changing Zeromus 's power should be done. I can do it. I like the idea of Kitchen Knife better than Cleaver. So (Knife) Kitchen it will be.