News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214312 times)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2015, 10:30:30 am »
Fusoya says "He sired her kin." Kin means relatives, so that doesn't make sense. I'd suggest changing it to son.

One of the moon crystals says: "Zemus set up a paling from within." What is a "paling"?

Another Namingway suggestion: for Odin's attack, Zantetsu.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2015, 10:39:05 am »
Might have meant to do 'children'. Sons instead?

I think a paling is a fence. Hnh. Is that really what was meant in context?

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 01, 2015, 10:48:43 am »
Kin doesn't refer to descendants, though. Plus, Fusoya obviously doesn't want to tell him that he's Golbez's brother, so it should be singular.

Ah! I've never heard that word before. Maybe "seal" or "wall" would work better in context.

So Fusoya's Regen ability is super good now. You just always have him use it, so that you'll be nearly invincible. I think it should be considerably weakened.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2015, 11:01:07 am »
If you wanted to use a biblical term... 'he knew his wife, and she conceived.' Which actually sounds kinda right if you wanted to be circumspect.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »
Two monster name suggestions: Instead of Levithan, how about Leviathn? This way it's the correct number of syllables. And for Mantcore, how about Manticor? Same reason. The pronunciation of both abbreviations is exactly as spelled. On the other hand, perhaps the current spellings look closer to the original words, even if they don't sound closer.
That was the point, to make them look closer to the actual word, not sound closer. I don't like how Leviathn and Manticor look. The point was to "fool" players into thinking that the names are spelled out fully. Personally, if I hadn't made the mod, I would've thought they had their full names because the "a" of Leviathan and the "i" of Manticore are in the middle of the word.

Fusoya says "He sired her kin." Kin means relatives, so that doesn't make sense. I'd suggest changing it to son.

One of the moon crystals says: "Zemus set up a paling from within." What is a "paling"?

Another Namingway suggestion: for Odin's attack, Zantetsu.
Oh. Whoops. I tried too hard to be smart and it backfired. >.> Sorry! I'll go with something akin to what Digitsie said.

I rather like Zantetsu. If my rudimentary knowledge of Japanese is correct at all, Zantetsu would mean "Iron-cutting" with the "Sword" part left off.

Regarding "paling"--you've never played FFXII or FFXIII then, if you've never heard that word. It means "fence," as stated in this topic earlier, but it's used to describe magical walls in more recent FF translations.

So Fusoya's Regen ability is super good now. You just always have him use it, so that you'll be nearly invincible. I think it should be considerably weakened.
I can make it 150, but you have to think, you have Fusoya on your team for a very short time. I can take it down to 150 HP restored per Regen phase, perhaps, for a full usage of Regen leading to a 1,500 HP restoration? (This would be versus 250 HP per turn for a 2,500 HP restoration, for those of you who haven't yet used Regen.)

By the way, Chrysologus, now that you're so far in the game, are you still using Rosa's Pray ability very often?

The next patch should be out when you finish your play-through, Chrysologus. I was initially going to wait until The_Atomik_Punk! finished his also, but since he said real life is--understandably!--taking priority, v2.07 will probably take the go-ahead without his input.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:08:04 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2015, 02:40:19 pm »
That's probably a good call with the names. My way would make them look funny.

I think 150 HP would be better. That way it'd often be better to have him cast a spell instead. My absolute preference would be to have it do what it does in the DS version. I realize he's not with the party very long.

Yes, I still use Pray often, but not always. It's healing over 200 HP so it's still good. It's failed more than it used to (just luck), but I'd still favor dropping it by five percent. Doesn't make much difference.

You don't have much room to work with in that text, so you may consider just swapping in son for kin. It sounds good as worded to me, as with all the dialogue.

I was looking at the read me and saw you changed the cost of Thunder Claws. I think they are supposed to be more expensive because of their power in the Waterway, where most enemies are weak against thunder.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2015, 03:21:13 pm »
That doesn't really explain the cost of Ice Claws, though. I think I should have enough room to write down something akin to what Digitsie suggested; most of Fusoya's text is in an area that can be edited to a larger extent.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:42:33 pm by vivify93 »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2015, 03:22:42 pm »
'He begat of her' then?

I can't say I'm crazy about 'son' or 'kin' as used, and FuSoYa just seems old-fashioned enough to use something like that.

Given FuSoYa isn't with the party for long, I'd rather keep the regen as it is just because he's a Lunarian and Lunarian should be 'overpowered' for the time you have him anyway, making a point that, 'yes, Lunarians are powerful beings'.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »
"He begat of her a son" seems fine to me if you want him to sound like he's from the 17th-19th centuries.

I don't see why he "should" be overpowered. What he should be is what the game creators made him. That said, I think it's fun to make his ability something actually worth using sometimes. If it healed 150 (or even just 100) HP, it would definitely be worth using sometimes. My two cents, anyway.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »
If vivify has the room, I'd say 'He knew his wife, and she conceived' would probably better because then you can't quite pin him down on 'a son' or how many children she had.

And ehhh, considering that he's ancient, he really should at least be powerful enough to respect that's he's a Lunarian, so he should be distinct enough from the others.

I don't know, I never really liked using FuSoYa in general, so tended to regard him more as 'eh, that old fuddy duddy' than 'Okay, so he's a Lunarian'. Giving him something that emphasizes how powerful Lunarians are wouldn't be such a  bad thing, and would probably help grinding a bit more at that stage of the game.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2015, 03:38:46 pm »
In the DS version (I just checked), he actually does say that she had two children. The exact wording is: "She later bore him two children. One of them was you."

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:22 pm »
I want to keep Golbez / Theodor a surprise. I changed it to "Soon thereafter, she conceived." Sound good?

Edit 1 - And I decided that Regen (Or "Bless" as it will be known in Namingway as per the 3D remake's translation.) will heal 160 HP per round. It will kind of go hand-in-hand with Pray; it's not as good or quick as healing with Cure3 or Cure4, but it's free.

Edit 2 - Here's a snippet of the conversation at the infodump on the Moon.

Edge: Hey, did you guys make the Lunar Whale?

Fusoya: My brother Kluya made it to visit the Blue Planet. He taught your kind to build airships and founded the Serpent Road. There, he fell in love with a woman named Cecilia. Soon thereafter, she conceived. You are Kluya's son, Cecil.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »
I'd say 'shortly thereafter' instead of soon, but otherwise good.

*edit* I'd also probably suggested 'he created it' instead of 'he made it'.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:56:52 pm by Digitsie »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2015, 04:07:13 pm »
It's fine how it is. I appreciate your input though. I understand that it would sound more refined the way you suggested it, but space is still an issue here. I'm ROM hacking, not making my own game. :)

Edit 1 - I used byte 15 for my item name spaces and it displays like this in menus. I knew there was a reason I didn't use it...

Edit 2 - This means vanilla Project II will not have the tail icon returning. Namingway will still have it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:29:15 pm by vivify93 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »
Sounds perfect!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »
Sorry to be late on this one, but what about "he sired her progeny?"
That's both singular and plural, and doesn't sound (IMHO) as archaic as some of the other suggestions, or like it necessarily happened once.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2015, 05:05:41 pm »
This is probably specific to Namingway, but Cecil, when the Giant of Babil appears, says "What's 's that?!" The apostrophe and es are duplicated.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2015, 05:27:19 pm »
Sorry to be late on this one, but what about "he sired her progeny?"
That's both singular and plural, and doesn't sound (IMHO) as archaic as some of the other suggestions, or like it necessarily happened once.
I really like that, but yeah, the ship on this line has sailed, unfortunately. :(

This is probably specific to Namingway, but Cecil, when the Giant of Babil appears, says "What's 's that?!" The apostrophe and es are duplicated.
Yep, Namingway-specific.

Note to Rodimus Primal: This is Bank 3, message #5.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »
This has been fixed. I wonder if FF4kster caused the issue...

I've changed Iron Edge to Zantetsu.  :beer:

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2015, 08:07:55 pm »
I've changed Iron Edge to Zantetsu.  :beer:

Hooray!  :crazy:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:54:57 pm by Chrysologus »