News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214292 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #340 on: January 30, 2015, 11:52:44 am »
Awesome thinking outside of the box, Pink puff. I think I'm going to do that.
No, the Tail icon was removed in favor of a space that is usable in between item names. If you notice in the ROM while you're hex editing, you'll see weird things like {Rod}Ice{Tail}Rod. If you change the tail icon to a space in hex, the rod will display in-game as {Rod}Ice. There's a lot of free room to put in an hourglass icon, though.

I do support making extra icons, though I wouldn't necessarily put them in vanilla Project II. I thought all the extra icons in J2e's translation made the item list look cute, but rather cluttered in a way.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 30, 2015, 11:55:04 am »
If there's five free spaces they could probably be used to write out Cyclone.  :D

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 30, 2015, 11:55:28 am »
I'd still like to avoid the usage of squish tiles, Chrysologus. :)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 30, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »
Wait, why not just use Squall? It's only five characters with the double el digraph! No abbreviation or "squishiness" necessary.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 30, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »
A squall involves water as well, not just air, so I wouldn't.

Plus, no Final Fantasy 8 references!

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 30, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »
From the first definition given in the Oxford English Dictionary for "squall": "A sudden and violent gust, a blast or short sharp storm, of wind." No reference to water. Also, I've never played FF VIII, so there's no intended reference!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:55 pm »
Dictionary.com has:

A sudden, violent gust of wind, often accompanied by rain, snow, or sleet.

I remember this because I was looking up nautical stuff for Final Fantasy V and that was one of those.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:18 pm »
OED > Dictionary.com  ;)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:51 pm »
If there is available space to make icons, then I will make stuff work. Obviously they don't need to be added to Vanilla Project II, but I've got some ideas a brewing.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 30, 2015, 03:52:20 pm »
Isn't the proper name for a certain axe Ogrekiller? In Namingway it's Ogreslay. How about Ogrekillr?

Edit: Another Namingway suggestion: Bolt arrow could be Light arrow instead, ala FF III DS.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:08:47 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 30, 2015, 04:11:12 pm »
Bolt Arrow is going to become Thunder Arrow in the next update, actually. :) In both patches!

Edit - And it's up to Rodimus if he wants to make the Ogreslay into the Ogrekillr with one of the digraphs, of course. I'm not against it.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 31, 2015, 12:21:50 am »
Okay, before I go screwing something up in YY-CHR and a HEX editor, I'm looking at the font right now and there is a large chunk of blank space in between the ll diagraph and the ' symbol. There is also blank space visible between the the , symbol and a v. Does anyone know if they are ACTUALLY blank space and not DTE pointers?! I don't want to mess up making an icon.

Thunder Arrow it IS. As for Ogrekillr, yes indeed.

January 31, 2015, 12:37:08 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
No, the Tail icon was removed in favor of a space that is usable in between item names. If you notice in the ROM while you're hex editing, you'll see weird things like {Rod}Ice{Tail}Rod. If you change the tail icon to a space in hex, the rod will display in-game as {Rod}Ice. There's a lot of free room to put in an hourglass icon, though.

I do support making extra icons, though I wouldn't necessarily put them in vanilla Project II. I thought all the extra icons in J2e's translation made the item list look cute, but rather cluttered in a way.

Okay so 7F on the text table is no longer the tail but is now your spacing icon for items. And 8A, 8B, 8C, and 8D you added for the diagraphs. So the space in-between that and the ' is free space for icons?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:37:08 am by Rodimus Primal »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 31, 2015, 03:24:29 am »
The digraphs are actually read as dialogue in the DTE, (I remember il is "e ", so Vile Shell reads as "Ve e Sheth" or something similar in Windhex32.) but for menu-related strings they read as their special tiles. So if you have any blank space at all in the font block, it's free for item symbols to add in.

Edit - il, li, and ll should be 8A, 8B, and 8C. 8D should be free. If my knowledge of the ROM is right, 8D to BF should be free, then CA to EF, and F0 and F6. That should be ample space for all the icons you need. :)

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 31, 2015, 10:46:25 am »
Wait. What happens to the Tail itself? Does it no longer get used, or did the icon get replaced with something else?

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:33 am »

Just so you know, there is already a space usable within item names: Character 0x15. The original game uses it to get names like "_FireBomb". In future versions of FF4kster I plan to include it in the font.cfg file, mapped to the # on the keyboard. For now you can easily open up the font.cfg file and just add a line that says "# 15" to get this behaviour.
Let's dance!

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 31, 2015, 03:48:50 pm »
There's some kind of typo when Golbez speaks right after Kain steals the Dark Crystal (loved that movie!). Golbez says: "The way to the Moon will open you!" Not sure what that's supposed to be. Is 'you' supposed to be 'now', maybe?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 31, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »
Wait. What happens to the Tail itself? Does it no longer get used, or did the icon get replaced with something else?
It got replaced with a space before, Digitsie. It's hard to explain, but next update should see the return of the tail icon.

Just so you know, there is already a space usable within item names: Character 0x15. The original game uses it to get names like "_FireBomb". In future versions of FF4kster I plan to include it in the font.cfg file, mapped to the # on the keyboard. For now you can easily open up the font.cfg file and just add a line that says "# 15" to get this behaviour.
Thanks, Pinkpuff! :) I'll do that next update, then, right before I upload the stuff. Wonder if I should give the tails back their icons, then...

There's some kind of typo when Golbez speaks right after Kain steals the Dark Crystal (loved that movie!). Golbez says: "The way to the Moon will open you!" Not sure what that's supposed to be. Is 'you' supposed to be 'now', maybe?
That's an artifact of Namingway Edition. For the record, Rodimus Primal, the message in question is #342 in Bank 1.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 31, 2015, 09:17:48 pm »
Fixed along with a slew of other things to Namingway Edition. Don't know what caused that.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2015, 09:34:55 pm »
Two monster name suggestions: Instead of Levithan, how about Leviathn? This way it's the correct number of syllables. And for Mantcore, how about Manticor? Same reason. The pronunciation of both abbreviations is exactly as spelled. On the other hand, perhaps the current spellings look closer to the original words, even if they don't sound closer.

When will we see the next update?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2015, 12:15:46 am »
I've already uploaded my updates to Namingway Edition to vivify, so once he's ready to do so. Unless there are more glaring issues. You'll see what I did with some of those character names.