News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214409 times)

TheZunar123

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:36 pm »
Eh, "Hot dang!" doesn't sound appropriate for this situation.

I rather like the sound of "Hell's blazes!" myself. Besides, hell isn't really a swear word anymore, particularly in this context. However it is your patch, so I respect your decision. I'm not quite sure if "bells" really fits Cid's character, I would go for something more like "Blazin' bolts" or something considering he's an engineer.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2015, 09:25:45 pm »
How about something like "Gaia's grits!"
The reference to Gaia suggests irreverence to a deity that is highly unlikely to offend any players (so like "god damn," but not really enything anybody would consider a curse), plus you've got the alliteration, and... Grits are just funny.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:06 pm »
"DAG BURN IT!" ?

You know, if they stole from Star Trek and Star Wars back then, can't you steal from Firefly or Farscape and do things like 'Gorram!' or 'Frell!'?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:20 pm »
The way I was raised, crap is s swear! How about "Hot dang!"
I've heard about that, actually. I heard someone tell their kid "piss" and "Hell" (As in the place) aren't swears, but "crap" is.

M What about V and VI Advance? Those good and not dumbed down?
FFVI Advance is dumbed down, but I rather like its translation. There are patches to make it almost like the SNES game, but it's still off due to the bad gradients, insignificant music bugs, and bad sound effects.

FFV Advance is better than the original in all ways, and the Custom Classes mod makes it even better.

I rather like the sound of "Hell's blazes!" myself. Besides, hell isn't really a swear word anymore, particularly in this context. However it is your patch, so I respect your decision. I'm not quite sure if "bells" really fits Cid's character, I would go for something more like "Blazin' bolts" or something considering he's an engineer.
I think I'll go with "Blazin' bolts." It does fit better--sounds like something out of one of those Disney auto-vehicle movies like Trucks or Planes--and it's avoiding swears.

Any thoughts and/or objections to "Blazin bolts, they're still on our tail!"?

You know, if they stole from Star Trek and Star Wars back then, can't you steal from Firefly or Farscape and do things like 'Gorram!' or 'Frell!'
God, no. I don't need to insert more memes into this; the four or five I have in are more than enough...
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:35 am »
Hmm, yes, that does remind me that I raised an eyebrow at "Why so serious?"

Since I'm about to move on to FF V, I may as well ask now: which should I play? Playstation version, SNES fan translation (including recent fix-up), or Advance? I'm thinking SNES fan translation at the moment, but could be persuaded. How is the Playstation translation?

Oh, and I definitely prefer "Blazin' bolts" to "Crap in a hat"!

Edit: What is pray's % chance of success now? I would support lowering it, especially since it casts Cura now instead of Cure.

For the Namingway Edition, I'm wondering if LilithKis would be better than the current LilthKiss...? This dredges up the whole debate again about abbreviations. What if it was just Kiss or just Lilith? I never got a response about doing just Phoenix instead of FenixDwn. Maybe that was considered crazy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:52:26 am by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:47 am »
Why so serious? kinda bugs me mostly because I keep thinking about what happened to Ledger afterwards.

Ich, ah well.

Come to think of it, why -isn't- FenixDwn something like PhxDown ? I mean, Phx is a perfectly fine abbreviation of Phoenix, to start with.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2015, 05:15:52 am »
Not much time since I gotta go to work, so I'll make this quick.

Re: LilithKis, FenixDwn - That's something you gotta defer to Rodimus Primal for. I personally would be against making it PhxDwn. Whatever he decides on, though, I'll just send him the updated Namingway package so he can do it.

Re: Pray - Its chance of success is now 70%. You gotta think, though, even at LV 99 with max Will, it only heals about 200-400 HP. Not all that useful... I mean, sure, a little more broken now that you can skip turns, but if someone wants to spend 10 minutes of a battle healing with Pray when quicker options are available, they can be my guest.

Re: PSone FF ports - Don't play FFIV, FFV, or FFVI on PSone. They're fraught with unnecessarily long load times. The translation of FFV is atrocious, almost as bad as FFII US, and FFIV PSone's translation is inaccurate and weird. If you're going to play FFV next, first and foremost, I recommend FFV Advance with the Custom Classes mod first. A close second would be FFV SNES with The Legend of the Crystals text clean-up mod applied.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 29, 2015, 09:24:05 am »
Thanks for the advice! For this time, I'm going to do the fan translation with the clean-up you mentioned. I played the Playstation version when it first came out and I remember the long load times and was unimpressed with the story (but I don't know to what extent that was because of bad translating). I may come back and try the GBA version later. At the rate I'm going I'll be to VI pretty soon, too, and definitely plan to play Rodimus Primal's version of that.

I would prefer Phx.Down (or PhnxDown), but I'm still suggesting just Phoenix!

Definitely would support taking it down to 65%. It's a nice number--works twice as often as it fails!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2015, 09:47:13 am »
Spooniest was going to clean up the Legend of the Crystal clean-up some more too, so keeping notes on what you'd suggest changing/looking at would be good!

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2015, 09:55:17 am »
Oh, I definitely will, then!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:01 am »
Hmm, yes, that does remind me that I raised an eyebrow at "Why so serious?"

Since I'm about to move on to FF V, I may as well ask now: which should I play? Playstation version, SNES fan translation (including recent fix-up), or Advance? I'm thinking SNES fan translation at the moment, but could be persuaded. How is the Playstation translation?

Oh, and I definitely prefer "Blazin' bolts" to "Crap in a hat"!

Edit: What is pray's % chance of success now? I would support lowering it, especially since it casts Cura now instead of Cure.

For the Namingway Edition, I'm wondering if LilithKis would be better than the current LilthKiss...? This dredges up the whole debate again about abbreviations. What if it was just Kiss or just Lilith? I never got a response about doing just Phoenix instead of FenixDwn. Maybe that was considered crazy.

FenixDwn really wasn't fully my decision specifically, but when you think about it is something you have to consider WHAT it is. It's the down feather of a Phoenix. It's an 8 character limit so we have to fit it in the confines of that. I mean we CAN do PhoenixD, PhnxDown, PhnixDwn, PhxDown or anything else we come up with. Personally, I don't MIND PhnxDown, but to the new player, they may wonder WHAT the item is. PhxDown works because the city of Phoenix uses that as an abbreviation as well. Just calling it a {POTION}Phoenix is stretching it, but what I think if everyone can chime in a little, I'll make a better informed decision on that. I'm leaning towards PhxDown.

As for LilthKiss/ LilithKis is a tough call too. If there was an "it" diagraph in FFIV it would be no problem. The missing S makes for a strange looking word for kiss. However, again, I'll let you guys chime in on it.

Either way, when you've finished your edits, vivify93, send me your update so I can work on Namingway.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2015, 10:19:18 am »
Just a suggestion, but 'Lilith' might be a mis-transllation here.

'lilim' or 'Lilin' are more 'children of Lilith, aren't they?

So it might make more sense here to have "LilimKiss' or 'LilinKiss'

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:07 am »
If you're doing Phx because it's recognizable as Phoenix, then I'd suggest you include a period: Phx.Down.

You could drop the "h" from Lilith since the Hebrew original can be transliterated without the "h": LilitKiss.

Speaking of abbreviations, FF III has "White" and "Black" written out in four characters each, which is handy because of the frequent use they get in the game. Is there any possibility of doing that? (I don't know where they found the space in FF III). Then Rosa could be WhiteWiz, and you could have BlackGarb, etc.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:33 am »
I almost forgot Lilith has its roots in Hebrew mythology. Much like Godzilla is a transliterated Gojira, I think I will do that with LilitKiss/ LilithKiss. FFIIIj has tiles for li, il, it, and ti. That's how they were able to do that. I was looking into finding their technique when I was working on FFII. FFIV doesn't have any more that il and li, probably because they are used for item icons and the like.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2015, 11:43:25 am »
Alrighty, if Rodimus has work to do, then I'll get on sending him the updated file. Crap in a hat is going to be Blazin' bolts for Cid's line, and... I think that's all we really decided on.

Rodimus - FFIII's translation fit LilithKiss in by removing the space that non-equipment items use to keep everything pretty and in line, but as I said, the spaces are staying to look better, redundant as they seem! :)

Chrysologus - Vetoing the White / Black squish-tiles. I try to avoid their usage wherever possible. il, li, and ll look fine because they don't lose any width. Anything else like ti, if, etc. look bad to me.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »
On the issue of Phoenix Downs...

Would this work?

Blazin bolts sounds like a fantastic replacement, honestly. I always thought the other was off-putting.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 29, 2015, 12:32:18 pm »
Looks good, though I have to admit, it looks odd seeing a Potion symbol there. If that, why not Revive in the first place?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2015, 12:42:56 pm »
Looks good, though I have to admit, it looks odd seeing a Potion symbol there. If that, why not Revive in the first place?

Hmm, actually it doesn't look good in game. I keep forgetting that the item (and spell) menu doesn't properly show symbols...

It's just a black box. Revive is what it is called in Combat Boost actually and that's what Vivify has had from the start.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »
I'm still leaning towards Phx.Down as a viable option for it. I agree the potion symbol doesn't look right next to the word Phoenix,considering the item.

This is for Namingway Edition of Project II.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2015, 02:04:53 pm »
FFIIIj has tiles for li, il, it, and ti. That's how they were able to do that.

That's not how they made "Black" fit into 4 spaces, nor "White" if memory serves (I thought there was only a ti digraph, not an it digraph.) They simply wrote out the word across 4 tiles with only one pixel space between each letter. Surely the fan translators added these digraphs to the game; they wouldn't have been in the Japanese original ROM.

Chrysologus - Vetoing the White / Black squish-tiles. I try to avoid their usage wherever possible. il, li, and ll look fine because they don't lose any width. Anything else like ti, if, etc. look bad to me

I agree that ti looks bad because it has to be cropped short. I didn't think, though, that any width was lost in the spelling out of "White" and "Black" in FF III. The letters are written per normal but with one pixel between each one, across 4 spaces. Is that not so? It is noticeable because Final Fantasy text is blocky, but no less noticeable than the ll, li, and il digraphs, which also have one pixel between the letters.

Speaking of FF III, who is going to take up the challenge of giving it a makeover? :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:15:54 pm by Chrysologus »