News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214362 times)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:34 pm »
No, that's fine, I'm just trying to be helpful.

Whoops, I meant Fell Turtle.

Speaking of bad abbreviations, Soldress is not so great. What if it was just Soldier (-ess is an old fashioned diminutive, anyway)? Granted, there is already a plot-device enemy named Soldier, but it's not like there would be any chance of confusing them. The enemy is clearly recognizable as female, so the -ess suffix adds nothing.

Also, there was another monster earlier: Hell Pin (based on Hell Needle from the GBA translation, but is a pin really a needle?). Its name in the DS version has been altered to Needlehog. Are GBA names being given preference?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:23 pm »
I had her as Amazon before, and I could make her so again. I don't want any enemy names to be the same, though.

Thanks for pointing out Hell Pin and Hell Turtle. They are now Needlhog and FellTurtl. I'll send the new patch over to Rodimus.

While I'm here, here's a quick list of what is now the same between Vanilla Project II and Namingway Edition. The rightmost name is now the name shared between versions.

Code: [Select]
INVENTORY

FFII US        PII v2.05      PII v2.07 / NE v1.02
-------        ---------      --------------------
Lunar Staff    Energy Staff   Aura Staff
Fire Blade     <- same        Flame Saber
Lit Arrow      LitArrow       Thunder Arrow
Black Shield   Hades Shield   Demon Shield
Fire Shield    FireShld       Flame Shield
Fire Armor     <- same        Flame Mail
Dummy          Star Veil      LightVeil
Dummy          Moon Veil      LunarVeil

FOES

FFII US        PII v2.05      PII v2.07 / NE v1.02
-------        ---------      --------------------
Larva          <- same        Insectus
SandMoth       <- same        Eyewing
EvilShel       Mollusk        Vile Shell
Mad Toad       <- same        Toadgre
Weeper         <- same        Leshy
RocLarva       BigLarva       Chrysalis
Imp Cap.       Dark Imp       Domovoi
Slime          <- same        Bavarois
Officer        <- same        General
Raven          <- same        Zu
Fighter        <- same        Marine
General        <- same        Captain
Skull          <- same        Skuldier
VampGirl       Vampira        Succubus
Panther        <- same        CaitSith
FangShel       FangShell      DoomShell
Screamer       <- same        Marilith
Ghost          <- same        EvilDream
HugeCell       Huge Cell      Mors
BlackCat       <- same        Coeurl
Talantla       Taranta        Alraune
Centpede       <- same        Tunneler
Crawler        <- same        Hornworm
ToadLady       <- same        BogWitch
DarkTree       <- same        Mammon
MoonCell       Moon Cell      LunarCell
Calbrena       <- same        Calbrina
EvilWall       Evil Wall      DemonWall
Brena          <- same        Brina
Ghast          <- same        Skulnant

The two exceptions:
1. The VampLady, who is Vampress in Namingway Edition and Vampira in Vanilla Project II.
2. The FlameMan, who is FireKngt in Namingway Edition and Ares in Project II.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2015, 04:18:04 pm »
The dwarven king should probably say "have already been taken" or "have been taken already" instead of "have been already taken."

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2015, 04:31:45 pm »
Fixed; thank you. :)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »
That was the problem with the abbreviations, they always seemed one letter two short for their own good. :/

I used Soldress for Soldieress because the letter i was the only letter that seemed appropriate to abbreviate with. Would you have preffered Soldieres? This is the current name in the GBA/DS/PSP versions.

Sometimes the names I chose were the GBA or the PSP depending on space constraints and how well the abbreviations had to go. Like vivify93 said about Thndr, which is why I didn't use it or Lit and chose Bolt. I had to bend on FenixDwn too because I almost went with PhnixDn, but that was really bad.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:00:56 pm by Rodimus Primal »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2015, 04:53:40 pm »
Hey vivify93, I had one more suggestion that I forgot to mention previously. I love Cid; not only is he funny as heck, he's also pretty darn handy with a mallet in a pinch! Cid is listed as a "Chief" in the status window; I would suggest that he should be called an "Engineer".

Cid is an absolute master tinkerer; this guy consistently makes some absolutely astonishing things (have you seen what he can jerry-rig in a jiffy? :o). My understanding is that Cid is the Chief Engineer of Baron. I think we need to make a distinction between a rank, and a class. Yang can be seen as the Chief (or Head) Monk of Fabul, Cecil can be seen as the Captain of the Red Wings. We can therefore say that while their ranks are respectively Chief and Captain, their classes are Monk and Dark Knight. Cid is an Engineer; it's what he does. For these reasons, I submit that Cid should be listed as an Engineer in the Status screen.

Secondly, and less significantly, I still feel that "It was my privilege to have been counted your comrade" is the better choice of the two. I believe that the change from "a" to "my" makes the statement far more personal, and thus more meaningful. I see Yang as not simply stating that it was one among many privileges in his life ("a"), but rather the deepest honor of his life. This to me seems like an appropriate final parting statement for the disciplined, and dutiful martial artist to utter before he makes the ultimate sacrifice.

On a side note, I won't be able to spend any time playing Project II for a couple of weeks, although I believe I am quite close to the end (just arrived at the Moon). I'll be sure to hit you up with any other ideas that come to mind when I complete my play-through.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:38 pm »
Rodimus Primal, did you consider just Phoenix? In some of these cases I thought a shortened form might be better. Similarly, it had occurred to me that something like Mindflay could just be Flayer. Still following the modern names, but a different way to abbreviate.

The Atomic Punk, he is listed as "Enginer" (Engineer) in the Namingway edition.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:57 pm »
Hey vivify93, I had one more suggestion that I forgot to mention previously. I love Cid; not only is he funny as heck, he's also pretty darn handy with a mallet in a pinch! Cid is listed as a "Chief" in the status window; I would suggest that he should be called an "Engineer".
We're only allowed seven letters for job titles, otherwise Cecil would be a D.Knight instead of a DKnight, Cid would be an Engineer instead of a Chief, Rosa would be a W.Wizard instead of a Wh.Wiz., and Rydia would be a Summoner instead of a Caller.

Secondly, and less significantly, I still feel that "It was my privilege to have been counted your comrade" is the better choice of the two. I believe that the change from "a" to "my" makes the statement far more personal, and thus more meaningful. I see Yang as not simply stating that it was one among many privileges in his life ("a"), but rather the deepest honor of his life. This to me seems like an appropriate final parting statement for the disciplined, and dutiful martial artist to utter before he makes the ultimate sacrifice.
I would reword it as "There was no greater honor than to be counted your comrade"? I feel like "It was my privilege" doesn't sound like something someone would actually say. Of course, this all depends on if it fits.

On a side note, I won't be able to spend any time playing Project II for a couple of weeks, although I believe I am quite close to the end (just arrived at the Moon). I'll be sure to hit you up with any other ideas that come to mind when I complete my play-through.
Awesome, thanks!

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2015, 11:29:44 pm »
Using either the "il" or "ll" digraph, Killer could be KillerBow. That would be in conformity with the standard you gave in an earlier post for weapons/armor names, if I recall correctly.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:24 am »
Man, you have a really good eye for this, Chrysologus. Thanks, I'll put that in the next build to send over to Rodimus Primal.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2015, 02:41:52 pm »
I'm blessed with an attention to detail when it comes to words.

By the way, I think your translation is really, really well done. It reads great even though you only have a tiny bit of space to put the words in. I do have one suggestion, though (which I give only because I love it so much): "Crap in a hat." That . . . is odd. Is that a real expression? Even if it is, I'm not sure it fits into the overall script.

Edit: One of the guards of the Eblan cave saves "defeated so easy...", which should probably be "defeated so easily...".

Edit 2: I've also started to wonder if Pray works too often now. I have Rosa use it most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:29:17 pm by Chrysologus »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »
"Crap in a hat" is definitely an expression, but it's pretty contemporary.
I don't know who says it, but IMHO it would probably be out of place for anyone except Cid, I think (maybe Edge).

It's not a huge offense, and I am generally amused when people say it... but considering the goal with PII in part is to present a translation truer in spirit to the original than that of j2e, then it's probably best to avoid language that could be perceived as anachronistic.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »
- Re: Pray - Cure2 stops being so useful later in the game, though. Do you think I should lower it to a 65% chance, maybe?

Edit 1 - Maybe you've just gotten really lucky, because Pray is still failing a lot of the time for me.

- Re: "Beaten so easy" - I fixed the Eblanese guard in Vanilla / Namingway.

- Re: Cid - I don't really wanna change Cid's "Crap in a hat! They're still on our tail!" unless someone has another suggestion for a humorous yet appropriate (And E-rated.) replacement.

Edit 2 - And guys, this isn't a "translation." I can read "Sailor Moon", "Luna", "a", "ru", "no," and "n", and I'm not sure which writing system(s) I know how to read them in. I did no translating. I rewrote Kaoru Moriyama's script to be more readable whilst stealing bits and pieces from other translations. I also used Tomato's Legends of Localization as a guide when I wrote many of my lines.

This is just a rewritten script, sadly. If I knew Japanese, I would've translated sooo many things by now...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:18:41 pm by vivify93 »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2015, 06:12:28 pm »
'Screw a nut! They're on our tail!'?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:10 pm »
In the literary sense, this is absolutely a translation.

Half the people out there who have published a translation of Dante's Inferno don't speak a word of Italian. That's an exaggeration, but my point is, when the general idea of the source material is so well known, what is commonly called a "translation" becomes more of a semantic interpretation.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2015, 07:24:39 pm »
In the manga scanlations world, what vivify is doing is more of a 'rewrite' of a translation than a literal translation.

I'm not terribly bothered by it - he's doing more of a 'localization'.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:22 pm »
I almost changed my post after the fact to remove the word "translation," but I figured it didn't matter much. I realize that it's a re-writing based on the existing scripts. In this case, that seems to be more than sufficient. In fact, if I recall correctly, the person who did the text for Final Fantasy Restored also did not know Japanese, but instead based it on existing translations.

The original has "Shucks!", the GBA version "Damn!" and the DS "Uh-oh!". Frankly, "Damn!" seems very good to me, and as a very mild curse word it seems to fit with his character. It doesn't seem any more vulgar to me than "crap." In fact, personally I've always thought "crap" was more vulgar because it's scatological, whereas damn is theological.

Speaking of the GBA version, I've never played it. Does anyone know whether it decreases the difficulty the way that I & II did for the GBA? I couldn't stand the GBA version of I & II because they were absurdly easy.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2015, 08:38:59 pm »
I agree that "Damn!" would fit Cid's character. Or, if you want to be a little creative, how about "Hell's blazes!"
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2015, 09:05:23 pm »
No swears allowed, sorry. This is a family-friendly mod! Plus, I think simply "Damn!" is really, really boring. I do think Zunar is onto something with "Blaze" though. "Blazin' b-"... something. Blazin' bells? "Blazin' bells, they're still on our tail!"

I rather like it. Not as catchy as "Crap in a hat!" but I think it works. Any thoughts?

Speaking of the GBA version, I've never played it. Does anyone know whether it decreases the difficulty the way that I & II did for the GBA? I couldn't stand the GBA version of I & II because they were absurdly easy.
The difficulty? Exactly the same as the original. But FFIV Advance has slowdown in its animations and terrible sound effects.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2015, 09:18:01 pm »
The way I was raised, crap is s swear! How about "Hot dang!" I don't know.

I assume by original you mean the harder Japanese original. According to the Wiki, they made a second Japanese version to fix the bugs, which is the basis of the European version. Anyone tried that?

M What about V and VI Advance? Those good and not dumbed down?