News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214316 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2015, 08:24:16 pm »
Well... we didn't, kind of. So, from now on, Namingway is just going to be its own patch to apply to an unmodified FFII US v1.1 ROM.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2015, 08:55:21 pm »
Basically Namingway still is an added option, its easier just to to only have to apply one patch. So, moving foward upon the next release of Project II, you still download the whole package. Namingway Edition is still included but you only have to apply that patch to a clean FFII US 1.1 headered ROM. Since vivify93 and I both want this project to be as complete as possible, we both can still work on it without hiccups.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2015, 09:59:53 pm »
So you two will provide separate patches, and basically tell each other what you changed and HOPE you don't muck each other up this way.

Makes sense.

Good luck with that. ;)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2015, 11:11:43 pm »
Speaking of Namingway Edition, I find it a bit strange that some of the weapons and armor (i.e., those with short names) end with "Helm" or "Shld" or "Claw," but the rest don't. Why include the "Helm," etc., even if the name happens to be short? It seems inconsistent to me.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2015, 12:20:32 am »
Depends upon the item, and spacing constraints of course. Some were kept the same from the original US translation, which is consistent with Square names.  However, I am inclined to alter this. Claws make sense to have the name claw at the end of them even though it doesn't fit with Thunder and Fairy Claws. Some weapons are different in the end of their names, like Icebrand. However, I'm looking back over the weapons and armor again before the next release. Let me know of any that stick out.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:58 am »
I wish someone had said something to me. Adding in the equipment type wherever possible was a thing Project II did since its initial release; it wasn't something done by Rodimus Primal, so it's not his fault. That aside, this is the third time I've heard people say they dislike it, so of course I can edit the ones that stick out in Vanilla, like DarkHelm and DarkShld and LitArrow.

Edit 1 - OK, here's how it's going down! Basically, if a piece of equipment was part of a set (IronShld, DarkHelm, IceArmor) and the rest of the set, or the majority of the rest of the set, didn't have enough room to spell out its type, (e.g. Cecil's arsenal at the start: {sword}Dark, {shield}DarkShld, {helm}DarkHelm, {armor}Dark, {glove}Dark) its extra word is gone. (Now his arsenal is {sword}Dark, {shield}Dark, {helm}Dark, {armor}Dark, {glove}Dark)

Furthermore, if only one piece of the entire family of equipment has its type added, none of them have it. (e.g. {arrow}IceArrow, {spear}IceLance)

However, if it's pretty clearly not part of a larger set ({ring}RubyRing, {claw}Fire Claw, {robe}BardRobe) or if it doesn't have very many entries in the first place and it has the room, ({axe}Hand Axe, {axe}Ogreslay, {axe}Rune Axe, {axe}Poison, {axe}DwarfAxe) it has its type added.

Does this sound like a good compromise?

Edit 2 - Here is the new archive. (I checked it for ROMs this time, I promise! ;)) It will soon also be submitted to RHDN's database.

Quick list of notable changes:
  • Namingway Edition is now a separate patch to be applied to an unmodified FFII US v1.1 ROM with a header.
  • Vanilla Project II has received an update to many of its enemy names, mostly taking the more interesting names in Namingway that would fit comfortably in the eight-letter limit.
  • Vanilla Project II has also seen a slight update to its equipment names. In addition to what was mentioned previously, here's what's new off the top of my head: Energy Staff is now Aura Staff, most Fire-equipment are now Flame-equipment, LitArrow is now Thunder Arrow, and Hades Shield is now Demon Shield.

As always, apply the new version to an unmodified FFII US v1.1 ROM with a header. :) Thank you all so much for your input; please enjoy Rodimus Primal's and my work!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:46:10 pm by vivify93 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2015, 05:47:58 pm »
Cool beans. I'm not sure I understand what's different about how to patch now, though. Do I have to apply them in a specific order?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:55:21 pm by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2015, 06:07:37 pm »
I'm looking at the Namingway readme to see what changed... did you include the name changes for Vanilla II in this?

Also, just apply one or the other, Chrysologus. The Vanilla, or the Namingway. Don't apply both. Order doesn't matter because you don't want to apply both. Just one.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2015, 06:11:24 pm »
Oh, I understand now. That is convenient.

Man, the Magnes Cave is hard now! A party of 3 Ogres is brutal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:19:36 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:45 pm »
I'm looking at the Namingway readme to see what changed... did you include the name changes for Vanilla II in this?
Vanilla II as in plain FFII US? Rodimus Primal primarily listed the differences between Project II and Namingway, adding what it was in FFII US in between. I removed anything that was superfluous in this release, since a lot enemy and equipment names are the same now. I could whip up a quick list of what is now the same between Project II and Namingway, if you'd like?

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2015, 07:49:03 pm »
Hey vivify93, I'm really enjoying playing through the hack; I've currently received my final Air Ship, and am about to go to the Moon. I forgot to mention earlier one suggestion for the script that occurred to me as I was going through the game;
Spoiler:
when Yang chooses to sacrifice himself to save the others and destroy the Super Canon, his final parting line completely fell flat for me at that highly emotional moment. I believe his parting words are to the effect of, "I'm glad that I traveled with you." I would propose an alternative, "It was my honor to have fought at your side(s), or; "It was my privilege to be counted among your friends". As a huge fan of the character Yang, I feel that he deserves to go out with a noble flourish befitting his character, rather than like an inelegant fop (my opinion, of course!).

I feel that either of these lines would capture and convey the sense of both duty, martial discipline, and higher morals that a character like Yang embodies for me.  Now, having said that, I have no idea as to how the original Japanese line translates, and the current script could be completely accurate for all I know. I'd appreciate your consideration and opinion, vivify93.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:36 pm »
How does "It was a privilege to have been able to be counted your comrade." sound?

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2015, 09:41:19 pm »
The smallest suggestion for Namingway: The "f" in MindFlay should be lowercase, since "Mindflayer" (rather than "Mind Flayer") is the current spelling.

And kudos on changing Aspir to Osmos!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:59:58 pm by Chrysologus »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2015, 09:50:15 pm »
How does "It was a privilege to have been able to be counted your comrade." sound?
That would work for me; I would suggest a slight alteration if I may- " It was my privilege to have been able to be counted your comrade." I think those changes would make for a more powerful statement, as well as somewhat less cumbersome sentence. Either way, I think any proposed revision would be an improvement to the current line of dialogue; I defer to your judgement, vivify93.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:45 am »
And kudos on changing Aspir to Osmos!
That was Rodimus Primal, you should thank him. I don't like it as Osmos since it's another abbreviation, and I'm the one who made it Aspir. I don't know if they didn't do their homework or what, but the Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation called a character's ability "Aspir" something instead of Osmose something, so that's where I got it from.

I'm sure Rodimus will answer your Mindflayer suggestion soon. If nothing else, I can do it real quick and send it his way.

Edit 1 - Actually, I'll just message Rodimus that I'm making these changes and send him the new patch...

That would work for me; I would suggest a slight alteration if I may- " It was my privilege to have been able to be counted your comrade." I think those changes would make for a more powerful statement, as well as somewhat less cumbersome sentence.
I think "It was my privilege" is a bit more cumbersome and awkward to say as opposed to "It was a privilege." The whole sentence, as I suggested it, is wordy though. I think I may go with "It was a privilege to have been counted your comrade."

Also, if I can't fit it in, I may not do it anyway.

Edit 1 - It fits in Namingway. Let's see about Vanilla.

Edit 2 - It fits in Vanilla! Woo-hoo!

Edit 3 - v2.06 is up on RHDN. 2.07 will not go up until Chrysologus and The_Atomik_Punk! have finished their play-throughs and given me their final feedback. :) Especially since v2.07 currently consists of two minor changes.

Edit 4 - I am now aware of a discrepancy between the names of the enemies General and Captain. These discrepancies have been fixed and will be in v2.07.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:04:15 am by vivify93 »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:31 pm »
Vanilla II as in plain FFII US? Rodimus Primal primarily listed the differences between Project II and Namingway, adding what it was in FFII US in between. I removed anything that was superfluous in this release, since a lot enemy and equipment names are the same now. I could whip up a quick list of what is now the same between Project II and Namingway, if you'd like?

Nah, Project II.

The differences for Project II and Namingway doesn't seem to have changed all that much so... yeah.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:24 pm »
Indeed, my Namingway suggestion was intended for Rodimus Primal, as are the following. (Should I be instead contacting him directly?)

It seems to me that the philosophy of Project II is to not use abbreviations (makes sense). The philosophy of Namingway is to conform to the contemporary usage found in the DS/mobile version via abbreviations, yes? The recent change from Aspir to Osmos (Osmose) reflects this. I think this makes sense, and to that end I have some more suggestions. Feel free to reject any or all of them, of course! My feelings won't be hurt. :)

Cure2 > Cura
Cure3 > Curga (Curaga)
Fire2 > Fira
Fire3 > Firga (Firaga)
Ice > Blizzd (using the digraph) (Blizzard)
Ice 2 > Blizra (using the digraph) (Blizzara)
Ice 3 > Blizga (using the digraph) (Blizzaga)
Bolt > Thndr (Thunder)
Bolt2 > Thdra (Thundara)
Bolt3 > Thdga (Thundaga)
Venom > Poisn (Poison)
Charm > Conf. (Confuse)
Mute > Silenc (using the digraph) (Silence)
Exit > Tele. (Teleport)
Wall > Refl. (Reflect)
Safe > Prot. (Protect)
Gale > Tnado (Tornado)

Whatcha think?

Also, is there also a goal here to undo what appears to be name censorship? I notice you have HellTurtl (Hell Turtle, ala the GBA version and the Japanese) instead of the DS's Fell Turtle. (Edited to correct mis-remembered name.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:04:00 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2015, 02:30:10 pm »
No. I'm sorry that I'm about to be blunt here, but those abbreviations are all terrible. Thndr doesn't even have a vowel in it. That's going too far; I'm vetoing it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:36:55 pm by vivify93 »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »
More terrible than Bserk?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:35 pm »
More terrible than Bserk?
Yes. More terrible than Bserk. Say Bserk out loud: Buh-serk. Sounds close to Ber-serk. Thndr sounds like "thind-rr", like a child is trying to say "thinned" and then growl at you. Furthermore, Bserk has a precedent in FFIII US.

Edit - If you want, I can give you FFII US' table file and direct you to my hex editor of choice if you ant to do it for your version of Namingway Edition, Chrysologus.

Also, I just looked, and I can't find a HellBeast / FellBeast in the game's data? What are you talking about, if you don't mind me asking? The only beast I can find is Icebeast.