News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214258 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2015, 08:19:09 pm »
I always interpreted it as "モンク僧", which is basically "monk-monk".

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2015, 09:01:38 pm »
That's pretty clear-cut to me; I'm all for Yang being a High Monk as opposed to a Black Belt- what are your thoughts vivify93?
He wouldn't be a High Monk, but a Hi-Monk if I went the route of adding his honorific--not enough room for the full word! Regardless, I'm tentatively saying "yes" to making him a Monk of some sort, and I'd like to give my reasoning.

1. Official release chronology of the main series (FFI, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFV in Anthology, etc.) had the Monk job as Black Belt, Karate Man, and then the term didn't show up again until FFV saw release. It was called Monk.

2. Release chronology including fan work (FFI, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFII, FFV, FFIII, FFVIII, etc.) calls the job a Monk in all fan translations.

I'd like a few more thoughts about this, though. Anyone have any objections or ideas or general thoughts about changing the Black Belts of Fabul to Monks in the vanilla Project II patch?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2015, 09:53:04 pm »
No objections here. Sounds great to me.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:59 pm »
Monk seems reasonable since "High Monk" won't fit. Plus, it recalls the jobs from FF and FF III, which is nice consistency.

I wouldn't say that they "changed" karateka to black belt, as much as that they translated the Japanese word into English as "black belt." The word karateka barely qualifies as an English word (although it is in the Oxford English Dictionary); very obscure. Since it means one who practices karate, "black belt" is a reasonable translation, given the context. It also honors the original Final Fantasy (for which it was obviously a change since they were avoiding the religious reference of a Buddhist monk).

It's interesting that in FF III the monk job is replaced by the superior karateka. What does that imply? At that point is the level of violence simply too high to be acceptable to a Buddhist monk?  :angel:

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2015, 11:07:04 pm »
He wouldn't be a High Monk, but a Hi-Monk if I went the route of adding his honorific--not enough room for the full word! Regardless, I'm tentatively saying "yes" to making him a Monk of some sort, and I'd like to give my reasoning.

1. Official release chronology of the main series (FFI, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFV in Anthology, etc.) had the Monk job as Black Belt, Karate Man, and then the term didn't show up again until FFV saw release. It was called Monk.

2. Release chronology including fan work (FFI, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFII, FFV, FFIII, FFVIII, etc.) calls the job a Monk in all fan translations.

I'd like a few more thoughts about this, though. Anyone have any objections or ideas or general thoughts about changing the Black Belts of Fabul to Monks in the vanilla Project II patch?

Sorry vivify93, I didn't mean to suggest that Yang be labelled as a High Monk in game, rather that High Monk would be contextually what I see his character as having as an honorific title, being the leader of the monastic order of Fabul. Monk would work perfectly for my sensibilities. As an aside, if this is hypothetically amended in the hack, would this update be save-compatible (with v 2.03)? In other words, should I put my play-through on hold (currently Cecil just became a Paladin) in anticipation of the update?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2015, 12:15:49 pm »
There's no reason why it shouldn't be compatible, The_Atomik_Punk!. I'll start working on this, then.

Edit - Just submitted it! It'll be up sooner or later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:03:35 pm by vivify93 »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »
There's no reason why it shouldn't be compatible, The_Atomik_Punk!. I'll start working on this, then.

Edit - Just submitted it! It'll be up sooner or later.

That's awesome man, much appreciated! Will the updated hack reflect the change by a different version number (that is to say, will it be listed as something other that v 2.03 on the download page), or will it be an updated into the existing v2.03? As soon as I have it patched up properly, I'll drop a line to confirm that it's save compatible.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »
Namingway Edition remains the same, yes?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »
Namingway Edition actually got an update to put in Yang's name variable in a line where it wasn't before. And the new version is v2.04. It's up!

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:56 pm »
Yep, v 2.04 working great with my existing save on real hardware- thanks again for considering my feedback, vivify93! I can now feel good about busting some heads with Yang, and the new addition of the latest version of chillyfeez’s FFIV: User Options patch to skip turns immediately is really handy as well!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2015, 05:52:29 pm »
You made it into the credits, too, since I consider this such a significant change!

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:18 pm »
You made it into the credits, too, since I consider this such a significant change!

Ah man, that's funny; I just checked the readme change-log- thanks for the credit!

kahlil88

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2015, 01:54:28 am »
Not that I have the proper equipment ATM, but will this game play on an actual SNES or are some of these patches and bugfixes to address problems with emulators?
Everything begins with Nu, and everything ends with Nu. This is the truth! This is my belief... at least for now.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2015, 02:53:57 am »
Not that I have the proper equipment ATM, but will this game play on an actual SNES or are some of these patches and bugfixes to address problems with emulators?

You'll be pleased to know my man that this patch is 100% compatible with real hardware. I'm currently playing through it on my RGB modded SNES Mini by using a SD2SNES flashcart, and it's kickin'!

As an aside vivify93, I think it would be great to mention on the hack's download page that it's copier compatible; that's an absolutely phenomenal feature of this hack for me. Besides individuals with flashcarts, I can see some distributors wanting to burn your hack onto real carts.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2015, 01:48:38 pm »
Please do not download v2.04; the Namingway Edition ZIP file contained within has an actual ROM file in it!!!

I am currently attempting to contact a moderator to get the current Project II's ZIP file status changed into either a temporary takedown until the new package, which I have uploaded, is processed, or to get the ROM-free package uploaded immediately.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation, and time. Have a lovely day.

Edit - I wouldn't be comfortable with people selling my work, The_Atomik_Punk!. For one thing, that's illegal; for another, I put a lot of work into this for no money, and I wouldn't see it as fair. I might advertise it as copier compatible, but I worry for the fact that people will by selling copies of Project II illegally.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2015, 05:59:31 pm »
Please do not download v2.04; the Namingway Edition ZIP file contained within has an actual ROM file in it!!!
Edit - I wouldn't be comfortable with people selling my work, The_Atomik_Punk!. For one thing, that's illegal; for another, I put a lot of work into this for no money, and I wouldn't see it as fair. I might advertise it as copier compatible, but I worry for the fact that people will by selling copies of Project II illegally.

I completely understand and agree with your perspective. I see now that my previous post was poorly worded; I meant to imply by my last statement that while it may be good to advertise that it works on flash carts, it may attract the attention of the repro scene. Sorry if that was unclear.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »
Oh, OK, I get it now; my apologies. :)

Edit - Well, I was just about to tell you that v2.04 is now offline, but it appears that the gracious and kind snarfblam has just approved the ROM-free package. Thanks so much to them!

New in this version: incorporates the latest of chillyfeez's FFIV User Options and changes the Black Belts of Fabul to be Monks.

Let's hope I don't screw up again, eh?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:51:24 pm by vivify93 »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2015, 02:28:16 pm »
Hey vivify93, I just played through the scene at Baron castle after defeating the Water Fiend (what a wimp!) where Cid shows up. When Porom is introducing the whole gang to Cid, he introduces Yang as a "Black Belt from Fabul." I don't know if you were going for a consistent narrative throughout, but I thought I'd mention that one instance that I just played through, in light of the latest v 2.04 change of Yang to Monk.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2015, 04:35:03 pm »
I searched the word "black" in a hex editor, since it's not affected by DTE, and nothing showed. I must not've searched it thoroughly. Thank you, The_Atomik_Punk!. I'll get on a v2.05...

Edit - Here is a quick v2.05 fix for that. Please let me know of any more inconsistencies. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:44:10 pm by vivify93 »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2015, 06:45:14 pm »
I searched the word "black" in a hex editor, since it's not affected by DTE, and nothing showed. I must not've searched it thoroughly. Thank you, The_Atomik_Punk!. I'll get on a v2.05...

Edit - Here is a quick v2.05 fix for that. Please let me know of any more inconsistencies. :)

Hey no worries man. I'll drop you a quick line as I play through your hack if anything glaring pops out at me. Thanks for the update patch!