News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 214342 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2015, 12:32:17 am »
Active means that even if you are scrolling through menus in mid battle, the monsters can still take their turns and attack. Also their own ATB will fill during this time. If you have it on Wait, its like their turn and their ATB goes on pause until you select an item or spell or choose a monster to attack. It's helpful to the newbie to RPGs who has a difficult time adjusting to the menus.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:00 am »
More specifically, "Wait" mode pauses the enemy ATB only WHILE the player has an item or spell menu open. Active does not pause at all.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2015, 02:34:57 am »
But just FYI, The_Atomik_Punk!, whereas the Japanese version gave the player the choice, it was eliminated from the original US version. The US SNES version (the basis of Project II) could only be played in Wait mode.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »
Thank you all for the insight, I'm perfectly clear on the difference now!

But just FYI, The_Atomik_Punk!, whereas the Japanese version gave the player the choice, it was eliminated from the original US version. The US SNES version (the basis of Project II) could only be played in Wait mode.

So... do you recommend that I keep it at Wait, or is it a matter of personal preference? I'm leaning towards Wait myself, as it gives me some time to consider all of the options/spells, particularly when I acquire a new character for the very first time, and want to think about what to select in combat.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2015, 01:23:56 pm »
It's a matter of preference, really.
In the Final Fantasy games in which the option comes standard, the default option is Wait.
A lot of people find the game to be too easy in general, and Active mode does add an extra element of challenge.
Personally, I'm a pretty big Final Fantasy fanatic, but I tend to opt for Wait mode.
I don't think the choice really has any serious implications on your overall game experience.

Latest Demo

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »
It's a matter of preference, really.
In the Final Fantasy games in which the option comes standard, the default option is Wait.
A lot of people find the game to be too easy in general, and Active mode does add an extra element of challenge.
Personally, I'm a pretty big Final Fantasy fanatic, but I tend to opt for Wait mode.
I don't think the choice really has any serious implications on your overall game experience.

Thanks for the insight, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't dramatically alter the experience in any significant way; Wait mode it is!

January 08, 2015, 08:32:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have a question for the translators and makers of this awesome patch. I just got to Fabul, and added Yang to my party. This guy seems absolutely Boss, right up my alley- only there's one small problem. He's listed as a "Black Belt" for his profession, yet from what I gather, he was originally called a Monk in the US Final Fantasy II.

Now, I'm aware of the black belt class from the original N.A Final Fantasy, but to me, this re-translation for Yang is not fitting in tone or context at all. His character, both physically and emotionally, is clearly modeled after that of a Chinese Shaolin Monk, a monastic order originating in mainland China. Practitioners of Kung Fu, particularly of the Shaolin monastic order, don't adhere to the martial conventions of Japanese Karate (which are completely disparate), where the title of Black Belt would be more apt.

I must say, as someone who studies various martial disciplines, this incongruity is quite glaring to me. If this character was named Yoshi, and trained in a Dojo with other karateka (practitioners of Karate) in a Gi, and cut his Shaolin braid, I'd be cool. As he's represented in the game, Yang is clearly based on an ethnically Chinese Shaolin Monk practicing Kung Fu, not a Japanese Karateka practicing Karate.

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the translators decision to change "Monk" to "Black Belt". I apologize if this seems like nit picking; I'm genuinely interested in making this suggestion as an effort to potentially improve this phenomenal patch however slightly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:17:48 pm by The_Atomik_Punk! »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:29 pm »
That's a very astute observation Atomik Punk! Yes, while not mentioned in the SNES version Fabul is a monastic kingdom and Yang's proper class is "High Monk" as he's the leader of the Monk's in Fabul and yes, he is an Awesome character. Probably better than Cecil in several ways when it comes to fighting.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2015, 01:00:01 am »
Well, if you've studied martial arts, then you're gonna love this... In general, the Final Fantasy series tends to play pretty fast and loose with martial arts terms. In the original US translation, Yang's class is "Karate," and while that may have been changed several times in various official translations, I believe he is nonetheless regularly referred to as a "karate master of Fabul" in dialogue.
His equipment serves to further blur the lines... Bandanna, headband, black belt, karate, kenpo gi.
I don't study martial arts at all, so it doesn't really bother me, because what do I know?

But, hey, if you like that, wait til you get Prince Edge, the "Ninja."

Latest Demo

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2015, 01:25:08 am »
Most later translations call Yang a monk, for what it's worth.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2015, 01:46:00 am »
I'd forgotten that. I thought Namingway would've caught this.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2015, 06:31:07 am »
I believe that I changed it in the Namingway Edition but I know The_Atomic_Punk is playing it without. Also Namingway Edition is slightly more difficult as the values for HP with monsters matches the Japanese FF4.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2015, 07:46:32 am »
Maybe Yang is a Karateka (a job from Final Fantasy III)? The DS version translates that as "Black Belt."

Or maybe he's a Supermonk (the upgraded job from FF)! Has anyone checked what the Japanese text says in FFIV? As a boss, he was called "Monk," wasn't he?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2015, 01:16:35 pm »
Yang was definitely intended to be a monk. I was trying to make it consistent with FFI changing the "Karate Man" (That's what they were called. ACHOOO!!!) to a Black Belt, but if it's enough of a problem, I could change the Kingdom of Fabul to be monks. And yeah, Namingway Edition changed the black belts to monks. Anyone have thoughts on this?

According to the Big Book of FFIV Lies by Ian Kelley, Yang was a High-Monk originally.

Edit - Chrysologus, Karateka were changed to Black Belts in FFIII Remake! Beyond that, there's not enough room for Karateka, unless you want to abbreviate it as Karteka or Karatka.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:24:29 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2015, 01:39:36 pm »

But, hey, if you like that, wait til you get Prince Edge, the "Ninja."

Edge the Ninja Prince, that sound awesome, albeit a little cliche at this point in JRPGS (though I have no doubt that Final Fantasy IV was probably the innovator originally). I'm foreseeing an exiled prince in hiding, who is still loyal to his kingdom, and dons a disguise (kind of a Shakesperean King Lear noble Kent sort of a fellow...). I'm looking forward to encountering this guy, I'm always down for some Ninjitsu action!

I believe that I changed it in the Namingway Edition but I know The_Atomic_Punk is playing it without. Also Namingway Edition is slightly more difficult as the values for HP with monsters matches the Japanese FF4.

Good looking out, Rodimus Primal. I checked the readme txt of the Namingway patch, and noticed the alteration to Monk. That to me is a very compelling reason to add your patch, but I'm not necessarily looking for a more difficult experience (although I'm finding it very easy at this point) for my first play-through; I'm really enjoying the relaxed pace of this game. I am however looking forward to your upcoming Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition hack, as I haven't played that game before either, and would definitely like to use your improvements for my first play-through.

Yang was definitely intended to be a monk. I was trying to make it consistent with FFI changing the "Karate Man" (That's what they were called. ACHOOO!!!) to a Black Belt, but if it's enough of a problem, I could change the Kingdom of Fabul to be monks. And yeah, Namingway Edition changed the black belts to monks. Anyone have thoughts on this?

According to the Big Book of FFIV Lies by Ian Kelley, Yang was a High-Monk originally.

Edit - Chrysologus, Karateka were changed to Black Belts in FFIII Remake! Beyond that, there's not enough room for Karateka, unless you want to abbreviate it as Karteka or Karatka.

For what it's worth vivify93, please add my support for calling Yang a Monk, as well as the order of Fabul being a monastic one. This to me for the outside contextual reasons I outlined earlier would be both a sound a beneficial revision to your hack.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2015, 02:25:38 pm »

Edge the Ninja Prince, that sound awesome, albeit a little cliche at this point in JRPGS (though I have no doubt that Final Fantasy IV was probably the innovator originally). I'm foreseeing an exiled prince in hiding, who is still loyal to his kingdom, and dons a disguise (kind of a Shakesperean King Lear noble Kent sort of a fellow...). I'm looking forward to encountering this guy, I'm always down for some Ninjitsu action!
Haha, no, that might be a reasonable interpretation of "Ninja."
Edge is a fun character to play with/as, but his version of "ninja" bastardizes the concept about as much as one could possibly imagine.
I won't spoil it anymore. You'll see what I mean soon enough.

Latest Demo

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2015, 03:39:40 pm »
Yang's class in FF4 was モンクそう
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2015, 03:49:25 pm »
Yang's class in FF4 was モンクそう

Cool, so for us Kanji-challenged Anglophones, could you fill us in on the meaning/translation as you interpret it?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2015, 04:34:23 pm »
Mo-n-ku (monk)
Are the katakana (the first three).
The latter two are hiragana, which signifies something actually in Japanese. I can read katakana, but I don't speak Japanese, but the beginning portion says as much as needs to be said.
 :D

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2015, 05:03:02 pm »
Good catch there Chillyfeez, some quick searching about seems to say that it is actually "chief".

[じゅうそう] chief priest (of a Buddhist temple)

[じょうとうへいそう] chief petty officer

So it looks as if it's "Monk Chief" which I can understand as being retranslated to High Monk then since it's a religious order.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:02 pm »
Good catch there Chillyfeez, some quick searching about seems to say that it is actually "chief".

[じゅうそう] chief priest (of a Buddhist temple)

[じょうとうへいそう] chief petty officer

So it looks as if it's "Monk Chief" which I can understand as being retranslated to High Monk then since it's a religious order.

That's pretty clear-cut to me; I'm all for Yang being a High Monk as opposed to a Black Belt- what are your thoughts vivify93?