News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 215733 times)

Digitsie

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »
Just a quick correction to the most recent post, but it looks like you do need to keep the header on for the patched rom if adding users options update.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »
This project exploded like a whirlwind, great job everybody

I'm pleased to see some quality romhacking going on with FFIV and V these days. It's a bit more difficult to work with them than VI, which is (I guess) why people tend to gravitate towards it.

Cheers!  :beer:
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »
She'll never admit it (or probably even acknowledge it might be true), but it all comes back to pinkpuff for FFIV.
Research on IV really exploded over on slick once she developed FF4kster.
Now that all of the routine hacking can be done easily, efficiently and reliably, those of us who are interested in really complicated and/or large-scale stuff can devote more time and energy to that.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
She'll never admit it (or probably even acknowledge it might be true), but it all comes back to pinkpuff for FFIV.
Research on IV really exploded over on slick once she developed FF4kster.
Now that all of the routine hacking can be done easily, efficiently and reliably, those of us who are interested in really complicated and/or large-scale stuff can devote more time and energy to that.

Without a doubt Chillyfeez, before PinkPuff made FF4kster we were using old and generally broken editors (except for JCE's but that didn't have enough features).However with each update there has been added more and more malleability. As Chillyfeez says without FF4kster we likely wouldn't bother, due to the tediousness of jumping back and forth through several editors and doing a good too many things by hex.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2014, 10:13:38 pm »
Wow, that was fast! Amazing. Can't wait to try it out.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2014, 09:19:39 am »
Enjoy, Chrysologus. :) It was made with people like you in mind, who want FFIV's original battle difficulty!
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2015, 06:05:06 pm »
I was eagerly anticipating playing Final Fantasy II for the very first time with this patch, but I seem to have run into a roadblock; no matter what ROM I try, I can't get this patch to work! I've tried the rev 1 ROM from my No- Intro set, as well as numerous Final Fantasy II (U) [!] (v1.1) ROMs from around the web, but to no avail.

If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction as to where a compatible ROM is hosted, it would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance if this violates any terms of this website; any help at all would be appreciated, please feel free to post either here of PM me any link/file.

As a quick aside, I plan to play this hack on a SDSNES flash cart on real hardware. Is this patch compatible with copiers?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »
We cannot tell you where to find a ROM, The_Atomik_Punk!. I apologize for the inconvenience. However, I must ask: are you using a headered ROM? If not, that might be the root of your problems. Also, are you hard-patching or soft-patching?

I don't know if Project II is compatible with copiers, either. I want to say it is, but it might end up being more trouble than it's worth to test. I have no means of testing this, either.

Thank you for your interest in the Project. :)

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2015, 07:28:57 pm »
This looks pretty cool and I'll probably play through it at some point, but I do have one suggestion after looking at the screenshots. When you include the name of the character who is talking, put a space between the colon and the dialogue. It looks better and makes the text easier to read.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2015, 08:18:39 pm »
We cannot tell you where to find a ROM, The_Atomik_Punk!. I apologize for the inconvenience. However, I must ask: are you using a headered ROM? If not, that might be the root of your problems. Also, are you hard-patching or soft-patching?

I don't know if Project II is compatible with copiers, either. I want to say it is, but it might end up being more trouble than it's worth to test. I have no means of testing this, either.

Thank you for your interest in the Project. :)

I can appreciate that, but could someone at least point me in the right direction? As I said, I've tried over 8 ROMs, so clearly something is not working; this is also definitely not my first time patching a ROM either, so I'm not doing something completely boned-headed.

I'm using Lunar IPS to patch the ROM. That's something I've never understood- what's a header, and how do you check if your ROM has one?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2015, 08:33:28 pm »
If your ROM registers as 1025 KB, then it has a header.
If it is 1024, then it does not.
If it does have a header, removing it is simple. Just download SNESTool, and use the "delete header" function.
My guess is that that's the problem.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2015, 08:38:50 pm »
If your ROM registers as 1025 KB, then it has a header.
If it is 1024, then it does not.
If it does have a header, removing it is simple. Just download SNESTool, and use the "delete header" function.
My guess is that that's the problem.

Hey man, thanks for the pointers, that completely fixed my ROM! Thanks again vivify93, If you'll excuse me now, I'm off to experience Final Fantasy II for the first time, with your patch all fired up!

EDIT: For the record vivify93, I tested this patch on the SD2SNES flashcart on a real SNES (RGB modded SNES Mini), and it works great. You might want to advertise this hack as copier compatible, that's certainly an awesome feature.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2015, 12:45:49 am »
Hey man, thanks for the pointers, that completely fixed my ROM! Thanks again vivify93, If you'll excuse me now, I'm off to experience Final Fantasy II for the first time, with your patch all fired up!

EDIT: For the record vivify93, I tested this patch on the SD2SNES flashcart on a real SNES (RGB modded SNES Mini), and it works great. You might want to advertise this hack as copier compatible, that's certainly an awesome feature.

:/ Damn. That is fortunate.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2015, 03:50:21 am »
Did you need to add a header or remove one? I'm curious, since Project II requires a header...

For the record vivify93, I tested this patch on the SD2SNES flashcart on a real SNES (RGB modded SNES Mini), and it works great. You might want to advertise this hack as copier compatible, that's certainly an awesome feature.
Awesome! I think that I might add that in. :)

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2015, 12:17:55 pm »
Did you need to add a header or remove one? I'm curious, since Project II requires a header...
Awesome! I think that I might add that in. :)

Turns out that I had to add in a header to my header-less ROM- now I know!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »
Also curious, are you using the original or have you added the Namingway Edition?

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »
Also curious, are you using the original or have you added the Namingway Edition?
As recommended by vivify93 in the patch readme, I did not add in the Namingway Edition patch- this is my very first time playing Final Fantasy II/IV, after all.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:32 am »
What's an SNES flashcart?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2015, 11:43:22 am »
You can load a ROM onto it and plug it into an actual console to play.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2015, 10:53:41 pm »
Hey guys, I'm really enjoying my first ever play-through of Final Fantasy IV. I have a question about the option for battle style in the the custom section of the menu with this patch. What option is recommended by you guys; wait, or active (I think it defaults to wait)? I honestly can't notice the difference; the characters ATG percentages still fill up at varying rates as observed by hitting Select. Does it modify whether enemies can act concurrently to you, as opposed to "waiting" for all of your party to act first? I suppose my question is, what was the default battle style of the vanilla game, and which style do you recommend to a first time Final Fantasy IV player. For context, this may be my first time playing this game, but I am not new to JRPGS, nor do I suck at them.