News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 169928 times)

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #520 on: February 19, 2015, 01:52:43 pm »
That could work too. Thanks, Cavery210. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 19, 2015, 04:36:00 pm »
Hey, Vivify93.
So, I don't know if you're going to be happy or exhausted to hear this, but I figured out how to widen all of the necessary menu windows enough to accommodate 8 letter class names.

The way I see it, you need to widen:
-Item Target window (When choosing on whom to use an item)
-Magic Target window
-Caster's Stats window (when choosing a spell to use)

So, to do so, you're going to increase the value of each of the following by 1 (so if it normally reads "0E" you would change it to "0F")
(as usual, ROM with header)
Item Target Window: 00DB50
Magic Target Window: 00DB81
Caster's Stats Window (oddly enough, the game uses five values, depending on which slot the caster is in, so increase all of them by 1):
00DB69
00DB6D
00DB71
00DB75
00DB79

Also of interest, when the status screen is open, the 8-letter class name will run right into "Lv." representing the character's level. The easy fix for that is to change it to say "L.99" instead of "Lv.99" The message will still come across clearly, and it allows an extra space between class name and level.
To do that, jump to 00DC2A and change it from "4D 71" to "FF 4D"

That should seal up all of the holes left in making class names 8 letters.
Obviously all of the previous instructions must be followed as well.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 19, 2015, 04:49:38 pm »
If you guys want to expand item names, you'd have to shuffle the items page to be in one column.

Spells I'd say the same thing but two columns.. except it doesn't seem that the magic menu supports scrolling so that's kind of a problem.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 19, 2015, 04:54:37 pm »
If you guys want to expand item names, you'd have to shuffle the items page to be in one column.

Spells I'd say the same thing but two columns.. except it doesn't seem that the magic menu supports scrolling so that's kind of a problem.

Now that I really look at the amount of space the game supplies for spells, there is more than enough on a visual basis for 8 character spell names... Outside of battle. Inside of battle the spell screens are smaller. Even 7 is pushing the limit as far as those are concerned.

Two columns is exactly what FFVI did and I never liked that, it felt so hackish...  Square didn't really get this right for the US until FFVIII since even VII was still struggling with space to fill in spells. I guess there would be no other way around it. Also FFIV does support menu scrolling... inside of battle. Haha! So many random caveats...

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:00 pm »
Two columns is exactly what FFVI did and I never liked that, it felt so hackish...  Square didn't really get this right for the US until FFVIII since even VII was still struggling with space to fill in spells. I guess there would be no other way around it. Also FFIV does support menu scrolling... inside of battle. Haha! So many random caveats...

I thought it was pretty cool. Notice that RPGONE's patch and FF5 PS1 did the same thing.

February 19, 2015, 05:47:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yes, I did; and I would love to, but it's kind of pointless since Demiforce's translation is pretty accurate and to-the-point. Furthermore, there are no good editors for FFII other than the extremely buggy Jade.

Yeah well, Neo Demiforce has some of the same problems as J2e's FF4 patch. And someone can always make a new FFII editor.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: February 19, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
The only reference in FFII I can recall is a callback to FFI...? I mean, he crunched the script down and neutered Guy's speech impediment, but other than that it strikes me as fairly accurate. Keep in mind, J2e's FFIV problem is that they made garbage up out of thin air, shoved in blatant, unhidden references, and then shit FFII US' script into the gaps they couldn't fill in. Demi's FFII didn't have a translation to "steal" off of, since Shadow of Palakia hadn't been dumped yet. I will concede that he may've made things up though.

Hey, Vivify93.
So, I don't know if you're going to be happy or exhausted to hear this, but I figured out how to widen all of the necessary menu windows enough to accommodate 8 letter class names.
Definitely exhausted. I had hoped there'd be a way to avoid resizing menus. As it stands, I really only think Cecil's name needs anything, and I'm thinking of solving it by making a squish-tile set so I can write out D.Knight as opposed to DKnight.

Thanks so much for letting me know, though. :)

Edit 1 - v2.08 is up, cementing the separation of Project II: Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IV: Namingway Edition.

Edit 2 - It's come to my attention that there are still traces of Namingway Edition and v3.00 in the readme, but I assure you those are just anomalies in the text. My excuse is that this release was somewhat rushed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:41:36 am by vivify93 »

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 21, 2015, 08:00:54 am »
The Dark Knight who left the Black Sword in Fabul was named Leon. Can you add that in Project II? This info comes from the FF4 Settei Shiryou Hen. Also the Octomamm is a mutant, not a monster. Kain's father was assassinated, Rosa's dad was a Dragoon, the Monks of Fabul train at Mt. Hobs once per month, Cid has let Cecil ride prototype airships since he was a boy, Edge's fiery temper comes from King Eblan pampering him, Tellah left Mysidia due to him unleashing a powerful spell (probably Nuke, White or Meteo) that killed many mages, Titan is a decedent of the Titans in Greek Mythology, Palom and Porom's parents made them study under the Elder due to their powerful magic,
Also a good censored name for monk is Master. FF1 used that as the name for the class changed Black Belt. Also Tellah's class is supposed to be Wise Man.
http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ff4comp.htm link to translation of book.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 21, 2015, 08:04:18 am »
The Dark Knight who left the Black Sword in Fabul was named Leon. Can you add that in Project II? This info comes from the FF4 Settei Shiryou Hen. Also the Octomamm is a mutant, not a monster. Kain's father was assassinated, Rosa's dad was a Dragoon, the Monks of Fabul train at Mt. Hobs once per month, Cid has let Cecil ride prototype airships since he was a boy, Edge's fiery temper comes from King Eblan pampering him, Tellah left Mysidia due to him unleashing a powerful spell (probably Nuke, White or Meteo) that killed many mages, Titan is a decedent of the Titans in Greek Mythology, Palom and Porom's parents made them study under the Elder due to their powerful magic,
Also a good censored name for monk is Master. FF1 used that as the name for the class changed Black Belt. Also Tellah's class is supposed to be Wise Man.
http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ff4comp.htm link to translation of book.

There is not enough room in the ROM.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:33:17 am by Spooniest »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:05 am »
Just a heads up, the readme @ http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1659/ says v3.0 under Changelog, but patch is v2.08.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 21, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
Rosa's dad was a Dragoon,
This one actually was added in. Take Rosa to her mother Joanna after the Tower of Zot and before the Underworld.

The rest are basically extra fluff that don't need to go in. I could try to reword one of Tellah's lines to add in that the Octomamm is a mutant, but the rest are pretty much just extra fluff. I'd like to add some of these things in, but there's just not enough space.

Just a heads up, the readme @ http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1659/ says v3.0 under Changelog, but patch is v2.08.
Yes sir, and I made note of this already. :)

Edit 2 - It's come to my attention that there are still traces of Namingway Edition and v3.00 in the readme, but I assure you those are just anomalies in the text. My excuse is that this release was somewhat rushed.

I think I might resubmit it, since v2.08 might be the last update for a few months.

Edit - I resubmitted v2.08 for the readme corrections. The Status Glossary of the supplements has also received a very minor update, swapping a fraction for a percentage in one instance, and giving a number to how many HP you lose per step while under poison. :) That's about it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:43:17 am by vivify93 »

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 21, 2015, 06:25:01 pm »
Also a great game that needs Vivication is Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy. Has a lot of the same problems FF2us had.
Please find other old games that need the Project II treatment!  FF6, Castlevania 2 or Secret of Mana don't count since those games have a Project II like patches.
For example: Zelda II, Pokemon Red And Blue (text felt a bit dry), Metal Gear NES, Zelda I, Faxanadu, Ninja Gaiden, Zero Wing, River City Ransom, Street Fighter II, any SNK game, Contra III, Goonies II, Secret of the Stars, any Harvest Moon game, FF Tactics and more...

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 21, 2015, 07:07:00 pm »
Let's not overload Vivify, now. Out of that list the only one of note is Final Fantasy Adventure, I could totally be down with a Vivification of that, however I'm not too knowledgeable about GB hacking and how different it is from SNES hacking. Everything else is just kinda eh, most of them don't really have enough text to warrant a new patch or don't have any good tools to hack them AFAIK.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:43 pm »
And he has not played my version of Final Fantasy 6.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 21, 2015, 09:45:26 pm »
Secret of the Stars is a Terrible game! And this is coming from someone who not only played through the entire thing, but also watched another do so. Don't get me wrong, it has a really neat premise (two parties, a shadow party following after the main heroes), but that premise is basically thrown aside as soon as the game really starts, and the grinding Oy the grinding!

Your requests are a bit strange all in all though.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 21, 2015, 10:27:20 pm »
FF Tactics has a patch like this that inserts War of the Lions' translation. You can probably find it on FF Hacktics. Zelda 1 was done on GBA as an official release. Zero Wing has had a patch for some time now, I think it's on Zophar?

I'm saying no to the rest of those since I have never played and never want to play them. (Including Pokemon. I never got the appeal of Pokemon.) I did touch FF Adventure for a tiny playthrough though, and my lord, the AI is stupid in that game. It was terrible. I never want to play it again.

Edit - v2.08's correction has been approved. :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:48:50 pm by vivify93 »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 21, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »
I play FF Adventure sometimes when I get really bored, it has a charm to it. Never got very far though. Tiny bit off-topic here, but there was a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure on the GBA called Sword of Mana, I'd recommend looking it up. It's not just a remake though, it almost feels like a whole new game but with tiny references here and there.

If I had to offer a suggestion for a game that needs a Vivification, I would personally ask for Lufia. It's fine for the most part, but there's just a lot of little detail things that could use fixing, for example the spell names. There is a de-censor patch, but I'm not sure what to make of it. It sounds like it fixes some things but makes others worse.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 22, 2015, 12:46:10 am »
I did one for Lufia 1, actually, but it uses D-boy's hack as a base since he did the booze uncensoring and changed one of Gades' lines to make more sense. I think I tried to contact him but to no avail

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 22, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »
Did you know that the Exit can be used in towns? I found this out by experimenting with the Gunslinger code.

February 22, 2015, 06:19:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also I'd like an optional patch with Dispel instead of Curse. I'd make it buffed so Dispel's not Wall-able so that situations where you'd wanna use it, (Baigan, Sandy, CPU, EvilMask, Wyvern, Asura) would make them a lot easier.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:19:19 pm by Cavery210 »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 22, 2015, 07:26:07 pm »
Did you know that the Exit can be used in towns? I found this out by experimenting with the Gunslinger code.

February 22, 2015, 06:19:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also I'd like an optional patch with Dispel instead of Curse. I'd make it buffed so Dispel's not Wall-able so that situations where you'd wanna use it, (Baigan, Sandy, CPU, EvilMask, Wyvern, Asura) would make them a lot easier.

Dispel at its core is a glitched routine and can softlock the game when Dispel is used on a Stopped character, because the game removes the Timer from Stop, but doesn't remove the Stop status, causing issues. This is fixed by using Black Hole's routine though.

Also not sure how it helps with Asura... since Protect and Shell aren't statuses that are removed by Dispel in the first place. They're not statuses at all in fact.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:08 pm »
@Chillyfeez

Hey, have you thought about making a routine to check for whether the direction pad is being held, whether or not the character is in motion, when calculation the condition of 2x walking speed?

Because the problem seems to be that the game doesn't know when you've let go of the B button when you are still pressing a direction. Let go of the direction pad, and the option of holding or releasing the B button is offered.

Can it be changed to check for both at the same time? Like, if you release B while in motion, your speed should slow on the next step you take.

This would bring it in line with FF Chronicles and FFIV Advance in terms of functionality, I think.

I know. It sounds complicated to me too.