News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 215682 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2015, 06:48:36 pm »
I do think the fan translation of FFIIIj isn't that bad. Just needs a B Button dash, as does II.

Now, an item I've been tinkering in my mind is the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Hourglass items.  Currently in Project II, they are Stoptrap, SilvrTrap, and GoldTrap respectively. They were dummy items on the SNES, and Hrglass1, Hrglass2, and Hrglass3 on the PSX. Should we leave them be or update their names somehow? Also, Gale is a spell that I've been going back and forth whether to leave it be. It's Weak on the SNES, Wind on the PSX, and Tornd on the J2E translation.  Thoughts?

I've decided on Phx.Down and LilitKiss for the next update.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2015, 07:00:18 pm »
There's no real way to write out Hourglass without it being stuffed down to a bad abbreviation due to the eight-letter limit. I remember you had it as Hgls before, and that just... no.

Gale's another I can't think of a good one for. There's no way to write Tornado comfortably in five letters. If you guys find alternatives that I'm OK with, by all means, though. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:35 pm »
Ah right, I noticed that you were having trouble thinking of a game-long use for Pray, why not use Absorb or Vitalize, which heals 1/3 of Current HP or 1/10 of Max HP?

That way it would be continually balanced without being too overpowered.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2015, 07:29:09 pm »
Hmm. I like the idea! 1/3 of user's Current HP would make it a precursor to White Wind. That's Absorb, right? It'd give incentive to keep Rosa's health up.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2015, 07:56:13 pm »
Hmm. I like the idea! 1/3 of user's Current HP would make it a precursor to White Wind. That's Absorb, right? It'd give incentive to keep Rosa's health up.

Indeed, that's Absorb... but I think I might have misspoken. It recover's every character's HP By 1/3 of Their HP. So while Rosa might recover 500 Yang could be recovering 1000 if he has 4000 HP Max and is down to 3000 for instance.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2015, 08:15:19 pm »
My earlier suggestion of Tnado was shot down. Wind is better than Gale.

Timer, Timer 2, Timer 3? Cu Timer, Ag Timer, Au Timer? Could do Stop or Clock instead of Timer for either system.

Which reminds me of the "seeds." Could do Ag Apple and Au Apple? Atomic symbols are well known and international.

Re: Pray: That would be way too powerful, imho. I don't think it should scale. I think the ability was intended for the first part of the game. It's fun having it cast Cura, though so it's actually worth using. I support lowering its accuracy to its original level, our closer anyway.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »
I'd go with BHrglass, SHrglass, GHrGlass

I'n not sure you want to start using AgApple and AuApple if you already used BHrGlass, SHrGlass, or GHrglass, anyway...

Twistr workable?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2015, 08:42:27 pm »
Not without sacrificing the Spell icon before the name. It ends up being {Black Magic}Twist. Wind doesn't sound TOO bad (and was used in the PSX version), even though a gale IS a very strong wind. The lettered Hrglass items are a compromise, but the elemental table is confusing. However, there is SilvApple and GldApple if we go that far.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »
I like Gale better. Wind just doesn't have the same power as a 'gale'.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:32 pm »
SilvApple GldApple sound great.

I don't think vivify would appreciate BHrGlass, given his distaste for unsightly abbreviations. How about BrnzStop, SilvrStop, GoldStop? Clear and consistent.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »
True but the game does use them in places quite frequently. Hrglass is already an abbreviation used in PSX, and G.Needle already is used for Gold Needle. I can go either way, between BrnzStop or BHrglass. Gale still bugs me, as does Wind.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2015, 09:20:11 pm »
Gust, Blast, Storm, Furor, Blow, Burst? Torn. with a period?

'Nado?  ;D

The real solution is obvious. Someone has to hack the game to redraw the menu to support 8-character spell names.

Edit: Back to the script. The dwarf king, after the party's failure, says "It's a matter of time before he succeeds." Seems like it should be "It's only a matter of time before he succeeds." That will shift the spacing of the words, but it looks like it'll be fine because the 4th line should have room for the word crystal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:25:58 pm by Chrysologus »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2015, 11:00:57 pm »
I don't strictly think "only" is necessary there, to be honest. The sentence may sound odd to those not used to that dialect, but it makes sense as a whole.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2015, 11:06:22 pm »
Well it depends on the tone you want. If you want to sound ominous, 'only' is a good word to put in there.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2015, 12:58:16 am »
Just looked up some usgae on the idiom, "a matter of time." It's normally used with only or just.

"It's only a matter of time..."
"It's just a matter of time..."
"It's a matter of time.."

The third does seem strange but it CAN be used that way. In the FFII US they used "It's just a matter of time.." I personally think that line works best for the scene.

As for the item names, I'm still leaning toward BHrGlass, SHrGlass, and GHrGlass unless someone comes up with a better solution. As for the Tornado spell...I'll settle for Gale but I'm trying to see how some acronyms can work. Squall, Tempest, Funnel, Whirlwind, Windstorm, Cyclone. They all look strange abbreviated.

Something I noticed about the J2E translation (which is still terrible BTW) is that they either expanded this or just that the Japanese has the lettering for it. The Job Classes allow for longer names. Hence Rydia is a Summoner where as we cannot seem to expand the job title, unless there is a way to do so.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:11:09 am by Rodimus Primal »

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
You could make an hourglass icon... replace the tail icon maybe? So:

(T)Rat -> RatTail
(T)Pink -> PinkTail

Then you could have:

(H)Gold
(H)Silver
(H)Bronze
Let's dance!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:46 am »
Awesome thinking outside of the box, Pink puff. I think I'm going to do that.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:29 am »
You could make an hourglass icon... replace the tail icon maybe? So:

(T)Rat -> RatTail
(T)Pink -> PinkTail

Then you could have:

(H)Gold
(H)Silver
(H)Bronze

I was somewhat under the impression that when the Japanese script was removed the English version had a lot of icons were simply left blank? As I recall some of JCE3000GT's older FFIV Hacks used that space to give custom icons to a lot of things.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:37 am »
I don't know about icons, but eliminating the two Japanese kana alphabets would have freed up 100 characters.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 30, 2015, 11:42:29 am »
Making an hourglass icon is a great idea. You could also, while you're at it, if there's space, make a "down" icon for Phoenix. FF Restored has a needle icon for Gold Needle, but that's probably not needed.