News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 216360 times)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2014, 03:14:17 pm »
Ah, that makes sense, then, about not following the DS for pray or cry. I was just checking to see if you changed Recall when you said that you didn't!

There already is a posted patch for restoring the original spell learning rates. In fact, I was thinking of applying it to my version, though I can't be 100% sure it is compatible with your patch, although I'm guessing it is (?). But, yes, you could incorporate it potentially, at least as an option. By the way, where can I get version 2.02?!

EDIT: I checked some of the monsters with FF4kster, and I would say the differences are significant. For example, CPU has 30,000 HP in the original (per guides.gamercorner.net/ffiv), but only 20,000 in the U.S. version! The monsters also drop less GP/Gil. It looks like it would be easy, if a tad tedious, to make a patch to restore them to the harder originals, so maybe I'll do that....

Re: Final Fantasy II
I'm not sure which experience bug you mean. I know a stat doesn't level up right when a spell is cast against the whole party. A serious bug is how Guy is targeted far too often. Dispel also didn't work, just like in the original. Ripper doesn't work right. Sap doesn't work on enemies over 256 MP. At level 8 Aura doesn't grant its bonus, same with Barrier. I'm forgetting a few minor ones. The title screen has been fixed, thankfully. The targeting and Ultima bugs are the most serious.

I doubt this is a bug, but the light armor could benefit from a different icon, like the cuirass one from Final Fantasy Restored. The diamond armor and cuirass have the same name! I made a hack to do that but never published it. Some item names are bizarre, especially Valium. There are about a half dozen typos, too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:45:41 pm by Chrysologus »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »
Well he just submitted 2.02, waiting for it to be approved.

Me, now I have to wait for 2.03 so I can now stop staring at 'bed rest'. :D

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2014, 12:46:46 am »
Hmm, I guess I could make a patch for the original enemy stats and spell learning rates. Not sure if I'd wanna revert the commands, and maps are still out. I will probably do the stats and spells, though.

How did you compare stats exactly, Chrysologus? Did you just open a plain Japanese Final Fantasy IV ROM and Project II and compare the two monster stats? If I can easily do that, I'll probably do so.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
Ah, well, if you're gonna do it, I suppose I shouldn't bother doing it myself (not that it would be hard)!

I opened up Project II to see the SNES stats. FF4kster wouldn't open the Japanese version. However, my past usage of guides.gamercorner.net leads me to believe that the stats provided there are accurate. His analyses of the functions, stats, bugs, and everything of the first three FF games on the NES certainly makes it appear that he is a reliable source of information. The only oddity was that he listed Zeromus's HP at 130,000 instead of 65,000. I believe he may have done that because Zeromus heals himself one time during the battle (my memory is fuzzy but that's what I gathered from another source).

Another option would be to check the official guide for the Playstation port. I feel confident it would have the correct stats. Regrettably, I sold my copy of the guide a year ago!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »
I think I just might do that. I could use the FFIV Advance bestiary or the FF Wiki. I might even be able to combine this with Rodimus Primal's addendum. (Maybe even ask him if he'd add the addendum to my hack as another "feelie?")

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2014, 05:50:43 pm »
I thought FFIV Advance used the easier version in terms of monsters (?). The Wikia appeared to agree with the stats given on the gamercorner guide, although it's worth noting that it gives the same stats for the SNES version, wrongly.

EDIT: Downloading a PDF scan of the Playstation official strategy guide is very easy, I've discovered.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:48:48 pm by Chrysologus »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2014, 10:41:37 pm »
That's what I get for basing my info. on the wiki... thanks for the correction Chrysologus! I'll be sure to look through the strategy guide for now on in regards to these things.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »
I'm glad to have helped, especially if it leads to a patch to restore the original difficulty! I already think this is an amazing hack, and that would really be the icing on the cake (for me). I realize some people prefer the easier difficulty because they don't like "grinding."

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2014, 01:51:10 am »
FFIV doesn't allow for DTE in many places, presumably in order to avoid names that run too long for the spaces where they will be displayed.

Yup just learned that the hard way. However I did notice some monsters were longer than 8 characters long so DTE has to fit in somewhere. So what letters worked and what HEX editor works? As it stands I'm just trying to come up with a viable solution to naming the 4 elemenatal fiends as close to the originals as possble.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2014, 10:13:24 am »
It looks like v2.02 is up. I never got an email notification about it, though, which is weird.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:31 am »
The BradyGames guide for FFIV is rather interesting, they're flat out wrong in some parts, but in others they are right on the mark. What surprised me most as an FFIV geek was their use of the Settei Shiryuu Shuu, they translated the sections for the character descriptions.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2014, 04:52:47 pm »
I know it repeats the old claim that cry helps you run and that Dark Matter reduces damage from Black Hole, but since both those do literally nothing, it's understandable that they erred. I'm not aware of any other mistakes, though it doesn't give Zeromus's HP for some reason.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
Ah, they were a bit lazy with who gets what spells. They seemed to be under the assumption that Tellah relearns all spells. He never learns Flare, Quake, and Holy though.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2014, 05:55:31 pm »
Interesting that cry was misunderstood. I wonder what it says about cry in the Japanese instructional manual. With so many fans out there who have translated these games, I'm surprised no one bothered to buy one and read it. The Final Fantasy Wikia claims that cry was supposed to cast confuse on the enemies. Who knows where that information came from, though? In the DS version it halves the enemy's defense. I'm curious: why did you decide to go with magic defense instead? Speaking of the DS verison, they improved Rosa's pray ability both in intensity and by having it restore both HP and MP, and they changed Fusoya's ability to restore MP instead of HP, and made recall able to cast much more powerful spells, so those are other possibilities.

Well, with Cry, from what I saw in the PSP Final Fantasy IV Collection (which came out post-DS, I think), it did confuse all enemies at once. It's really quite useful in -swarms- of beasts attacking you with millions of spells, especially since the PSP Final Fantasy IV seemed to have brought things back to the original Japanese difficulty rather than the easier modes.

I would note, btw, that I hated GRINDING my way through the Sealed Caverns. Especially in the Interlude and the After Years versions. It was brutal, BRUTAL.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2014, 09:42:07 pm »
Ah, they were a bit lazy with who gets what spells. They seemed to be under the assumption that Tellah relearns all spells. He never learns Flare, Quake, and Holy though.
You forgot Death/Fatal.
(and in FF2 of course the three dummied spells: Dispel, Safe/Protect/Armor and Shell)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2014, 11:26:04 pm »
Am I the only one who's met with a black screen upon patching with the newest version?  Or is this just something on my side?

Pretty sure I'm using the correct version and everything, the last version worked fine with it (a clean ROM for both, of course).

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2014, 11:50:44 pm »
It must have a header when patching, and use a clean ROM version 1.1 of FFIIUS.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2014, 12:12:48 am »
I checked; I forgot to add a header like I did last time.  Oops. :P

Thanks for that reminder, now it works perfect.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2014, 11:27:50 am »
Yep, and the patch size is much smaller now, because the ROM stays headered after patching.

Whenever Rodimus Primal finishes his more classic FFIV edition of Project II, I'll start on the enemy stats and original spell acquisition rates, then 2.03 will be released! No rush though, Rodimus. :) I'm in no rush.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
I'm done updating the names of items, spells and monsters in game, but in text stuff is being changed too. Very minor phrases are slightly re-worded to fit the longer character names of Barbariccia and Scarmiglione. I finished Bank 1 and I'm moving onto Bank 2. Joy.