News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 - Random Encounter Data?  (Read 2741 times)

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 - Random Encounter Data?
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »
Does anyone happen to know how the game (any version) stores random encounter data? Or alternatively, suggestions for how to look for it in the ROM?

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
Re: Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 - Random Encounter Data?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:32:43 am »
Unsure where but the game has a debug option where you can set the encounter to disable.

Normally this kind of random encounter uses a RAM value/s and counts from FF to 00... on 00 a fight appears.

Thanks

red

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:36:39 pm »
I managed to decode the game genie code to find how the game creates random battles, turns out it's as you described. Thanks!

I am also interested in modifying which monsters appear in which maps. For example, outside of the first castle you can fight slimes (00) or crows (01), but the game also seems to in some way store the quantity of those monsters which can appear in each monster group and also how many monster groups can appear. I have no idea how the game might store this information. Maybe it works similarly to other DQ games?

Thanks again, and if anyone can shed light on this issue I would appreciate it!

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:50:30 am »
Well, Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 has Random Encounter Data JUST like Pokemon Game Boy games.

FF to 00 are the Hexadecimal IDs. 00 is the encounter decimal in specific walk areas. If you walk onto the specific tile, a battle begins.

If you walk onto a tile with FF, no battle happens. This is because FF is the Hexadecimal for no battle.

The reason I have this theory is through the cheats for encounters in both games. If you know how to hack the encounter rates in the Pokemon Game Boy games then you can hack Dragon Quest/Warrior 3.
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:42:25 pm »
Yes,but what I want to hack is which monsters you find in which maps, and how many of each can appear in a random battle, not just how often you get into a random battle.