News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Questions Thread  (Read 4325 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Questions Thread
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:22:30 am »
I hate to start new threads for a single question.

Now, for the first question:

I've been working on a couple of 8x8 fonts lately with an attempt to bulk up some of the RHDN resources. I'd like to know what characters aside from the 26 capital and lowercase letters, 10 numerical digits, and basic punctuation (, ' open and closed quotations ? / - ! &) do you find most helpful in a font? I was thinking some double letter tiles for narrow lowercase letters such as ll, il, and li, maybe...

What else?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:28:22 am by M_tee »

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • KAJITANI-EIZAN's Patch Site: Reimagination
Re: Open Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:34 am »
i would personally be of the opinion that you should just stick to ASCII 0x20 to 0x7F and call it a day. maybe also letters with diacritical marks for non-english translations or long japanese vowels. people can probably modify the font as needed if their requirements are different.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Open Questions Thread
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:28:01 am »
Was going to throw together a quick title screen for that MrRichard's Elnark hack. Then I encountered this situation with the tile graphics:

(May need to click for full view)

This is a comparison of FCEUX's PPU viewer and the tiles as seen in yychr. See the "ghosted" effects in yychr, especially noticeable in the alphabet. The bottom row is when I paste in a simple 4-tile TEST, making sure to use all three colors. Then on the left, in the PPU viewer, it actually takes up 5 tiles, and is jarbled, for lack of a better word.

What would cause this issue, and how would I work around it?

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Questions Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:17:13 pm »
Try hitting + or - 8 or 16 times.

freem

• ɯǝǝɹɟ
    • View Profile
    • AJWorld
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 04:07:20 pm »
As for the alphabets, it looks like they're using 1bpp mode, which you can switch to with that dropbox that currently has "2BPP (NES)" in it. Not sure about the title graphic since I'm not familiar with the game.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »
@M_tee: I'm also looking at that myself last night.  :P Good luck!

If you're gonna design the logo as what it look like, the letters for "Treasures" should look shiny like "Zaihou" & "Elnark" look jagged earth. In hex editor, the offset for the titlescreen is 19200. I bet the two parts of the logo have different palettes, you could make them the same palette.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:47 pm »
Try hitting + or - 8 or 16 times.

That seems to have handled it. I had to push it twice at first because the tiles were two pixels off alignment, but eight more times seems Completely corrected it. What exactly is happening that causes it to be displayed that way.

@Zink, thanks. I picked that up. I've about got my design finished and plan to put it in the rom tonight. I do plan to use both of the palettes, so I'll need to adjust the attributes to the title screen. Apparently, a dude named USC is working on one too. I plan to share mine in the title screen thread when I'm finished. It'd be nice to compare our different approaches to the design there.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:45:31 pm »
That seems to have handled it. I had to push it twice at first because the tiles were two pixels off alignment, but eight more times seems Completely corrected it. What exactly is happening that causes it to be displayed that way.

It's a 2BPP font 8x8. Each tile is thus represented by two 1BPP 8x8 tiles, each of which is 8 bytes. You just had the wrong start address. By moving 8 bytes in either direction, you've corrected the start address.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:28:15 pm »
Ah. That makes sense. Thanks again.