News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy ROM hack glitch- Need Help  (Read 2178 times)

Murex

• View Profile
Final Fantasy ROM hack glitch- Need Help
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:38:35 am »

How do I fix this-

(it sometimes also happens when I hit start in grasslands, and its on the character selection screen)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy ROM hack glitch- Need Help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:40 am »
Apparently the palette is corrupted and the tileset is corrupted too.
The program is doing dummy writes to VRAM when it's not supposed to. Without knowing what you did or what you tried to change, it's impossible to help you more.

Murex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:37 pm »

Not really a fix, but I cut out some stuff from the game with decent results.

I changed all the grasslands backgrounds to forest, and that seemed to work. It's not optimal, but I'll have to manage without that background. The Titan's Tunnel area kept showing random tiles throughout that area too, and I think that's gone now, but I had to trim it down to a narrow tunnel to get the kb to 0. Also had to put the ROD in Titan's Tunnel and cut out the old man's place. It's good enough I suppose.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »
It may not be a great fix, however, as you don't know if a larger problem might be looming in the background. Do you keep any backups of your project? You could try going back a few until you know when that problem began.

Murex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »

I keep backups, but this problem occurred at a time when my last backup was extremely inferior due to all the changes I made. Go figure.

I hope this isn't still a problem for me, even though I see the tiles in the background screen when I pause the game in some cities. The worst chunk of the problem is gone after I changed all grasslands backgrounds to forest. The grasslands graphic kept getting distorted, and I kept fixing it before realizing that I should just not use it.

Solution? Not quite, but I consider my hack saved from the abyss.  :happy: