News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: OpenPandora  (Read 3388 times)

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
OpenPandora
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »
I don't think many people have this, but does anyone here? I'm wondering if it's worth getting, if it lives up to what's advertised.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
Re: OpenPandora
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:17:17 pm »
For that kinda money? Hell no. That hardware was outdated years ago.

It's a great device but it needs the price halved before it's worth it.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:49:05 pm »
But what are alternatives? Nothing that small could claim to run the stuff it claims, and with a built in gamepad. I guess waiting for better ARM netbooks (or whatever you want to call them), but today?

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:26:41 am »
I remember hearing about this device a few years ago, I hadn't realised that it actually got off the ground. And ho-lee-shit is it expensive. Who in the blue flying fuck is going to cough up that much dough for a hand held console? I mean, sure, it's an all in one emulation device, but still. I think I will be just fine with my "customised" psp, despite it's limitations.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:11:15 am »
But what are alternatives? Nothing that small could claim to run the stuff it claims, and with a built in gamepad. I guess waiting for better ARM netbooks (or whatever you want to call them), but today?

I would've suggested dingoo in a heartbeat, but it does not have as many nice features the pandora has. PSP's have also been a pretty popular choice for many people. I haven't followed the scene for years, so I don't know any new handheld that has similar capabilities.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:09:41 pm »
I'd always remembered back in high school i wanted to buy that cuz of it's awesome features & being able to run MS-Dosbox 90's games in near perfect emulation & was able to run Neko Project 2 aka PC-98 games in also perfect emulation! :) but now since i got a PSVita & soon an original Xbox from a friend (which i'm still waiting for) which too runs every popular emulators in flawless fps & emulation in general. So now i guess i have no use for it (plus it can also run Sonic Robo Blast 2 as well) ;D

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:31 pm »
It doesn't have to be too expensive
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:32:30 pm »
All the stuff mentioned is basically emulation on jailbroken stuff. This is supposed to be no-nonsense, simple emulation, and with an OS to run other applications. As the open pandora sites says, 'completely open, no jailbreak bullshit'. I think if it had video output to more than old TVs, I might consider coughing up that much, since it's a tiny laptop with 10 hr. battery (if the claims are true). But because it's not, then it does seem painful to pay that much for that thing. I guess it depends how much you want to pay to remove all the hassle of old game emulation on a handheld. But then you buy it and it turns out to be hype and it actually sucks. No way to test this before buying.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:07:50 am »
There is also the option nowadays to use an Android smartphone + a controller attachment (there are a few on the market by now). That just sets you back 50$ or so, assuming you have a smartphone anyway. Those also don't have to be jailbroken or any other hassles.

The Pandora looked extremely interesting when it was released, but it missed its window of opportunity.

I played 5 minutes with a Dingoo before, it has such a tiny screen. On a smartphone you easily get 5-6 times the screenspace.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:19:52 am »
we are in a horrible and deadly danger