News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI brought to iOS and Android  (Read 6678 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI brought to iOS and Android
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 12:28:14 am »
The thing with RPG Maker graphics is that using the default RPG Maker graphics suggests amateurism to some gamers, due to well, being the default (and besides that Square should have their own actual 16-bit games to get inspiration from). Even moreso from a company that is known to take its graphics quality very seriously (to the point that I remember they once apologized for the graphics in their Wii games compared to the HD consoles).
(of if they actually were RPG Maker graphics, then that would be a legal issue, probably. I've heard there are stores in Japan that sell RPG Maker-made games on discs. So I don't know what the licensing is.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 04:47:07 am »
I really liked FF Dimensions, annoyingly I lost my save when restoring my device, for some reason Square didn't think to enable iCloud for it like some of their other games, so I haven't bothered to go through all the chapters again.

One thing I don't like - which a lot of larger game studios do on iOS - is they don't bother updating games for newer iOS platforms when features like iCloud sync for local data, or bigger screen resolutions, etc, come out. Considering how much they charge for their iOS games you'd think they'd devote a bit of those profits to maintaining their software.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:27 pm »
The thing with RPG Maker graphics is that using the default RPG Maker graphics suggests amateurism to some gamers, due to well, being the default (and besides that Square should have their own actual 16-bit games to get inspiration from). Even moreso from a company that is known to take its graphics quality very seriously (to the point that I remember they once apologized for the graphics in their Wii games compared to the HD consoles).
(of if they actually were RPG Maker graphics, then that would be a legal issue, probably. I've heard there are stores in Japan that sell RPG Maker-made games on discs. So I don't know what the licensing is.)

It wasn't just the shoddy quality of the graphics themselves--the way the game handled was really generic. For example, they took the maps from the GBA remake of IV, but then had new doors superimposed over the map, which was stark in quality. In fact, it looked like these doors weren't even part of the map, instead floating on a different layer.

Actually, all of the game had that floaty feeling reminiscent of cheap RPG makers, too. All the graphical elements seemed to slide over or under each other, and lacked the rigidity found in the NES and SNES FF games.

For me, that is what makes these recent games and remakes just feel cheap and uninspired. They somehow feel even cheaper than the 17th port of FFIV they originally were throwing out every other year.

But I can see how others might suggest this is the gamer associating this style and feeling with cheapness, just as many television viewers began associating smooth framerates with cheapness via the soap opera, which often used cheaper cameras that weren't deadlocked to that 24fps limit (or whatever it was).

I'd still love to give Dimensions a try, but I don't have any of those expensive phones to give them a try with. It'd be nice if an android emulator came around that supported booting the game...