News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI brought to iOS and Android  (Read 6649 times)

eefara

• View Profile

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI brought to iOS and Android
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:54:38 pm »
Nice. I wonder what they have planned for FFVII. If its 2D, I'm all in. So then that way theres "some" change instead of just some touch version. But if thats the case, I will still buy it just to support my favorite company. However, SE is desperate for money right now and I'm afraid they might rush so quickly that the game is just as bugged as their first game(FF1). That'll be fun playing some buggy FFVII game. Would be really nice if they bugged Defense all together. That will be interesting. Seeing how much damage it really does. I think Defense changing things around too much. However, in FFVII, low level games, defense is mandatory to even survive 1 turn.

Another thing, they seem like they're just going to port every FF game to the iOS and expect to see some money after words. Idk how that all works to be honest. Like I don't know why they're desperate other than the fact that they might go bankrupted but I don't understand why that would happen. Is it because that company keeps the employees finances up?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
I would have thought that with FFVI they would have the GBA source to work from.

For FFVII, I'd expect they would at least reuse the 3D engine from FFIII; even then they'd still have way too much work to do, I think.  If they were starting from scratch they might as well go for the full HD remake.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:32 pm »
They'll just use the recent PC version's code and adapt that.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:00:59 am »
I don't remember the full story off the top of my head, but I don't think it'll be that simple. Back in 1998, a team at Square Soft, Inc (note: the NA branch) ported FF7 to PC. But now? The recent PC version, I've heard, is just the old version with a driver to modify the code. No recompilation involved.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:26:04 am by Vehek »

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:26:03 am »
That makes no sense whatsoever. A driver is a piece of software designed to interface with hardware. While it can modify other software, how and why in the hell would Square ship a game with a driver to modify that?

I highly doubt it.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:02:47 am »
Well, a "driver" is really just what the people at the Qhimm forums call it. I'm looking this up. There was some ability in the FF7 PC executable to load an external dll for the rendering engine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:09:43 am by Vehek »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:54:11 am »
Although I cannot say in regards to its use in FF7 hacking, the term “driver” is occasionally used in computing for programs that are not in any sense device drivers, such as a “database driver” or a “driver class”
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:34 am »
I'm afraid to even play this. It's a good thing I don't have an iOs device.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:17:13 pm »
I've never gotten on with Square's iOS ports. On-screen controls just feel way too clunky for me.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 04:16:30 pm »
Everything about the ios games feel clunky--the graphics, the UI, the movement, and somehow even the gameplay.

All my hopes of a beautiful FFIV-esque remake of V and VI are being dashed. At least one great surprise was that The After Years is being remade in that pretty style...

On the topic of Square and cashing in: the recent PC version of FFVII is essentially the same one released back in 98 or whenever. All the mods intended for that version are compatible, and it features the same issues and bugs (especially the "great" MIDI synths that was only recently fixed up) as the original PC port. The only large differences were a small hackish resolution change, and implementation of those achievements/cloud saves and stuff like that.

Beyond that, Square got away with republishing an old game for fresh profit :police:

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 04:24:21 pm »
One set of remakes I really liked were the PSP versions of 1 and 2. If they gave 6 the same HD treatment and added iOS 7's controller support, I'd be tempted to pick it up.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 06:26:52 pm »
One set of remakes I really liked were the PSP versions of 1 and 2.

Don't forget the FFIV PSP remake.  :)

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:02 pm »
...And the king

H'ray!

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 08:41:50 am »
As someone who has played through a lot of SquareEnix games in iOS, I can say that I have actually enjoyed what I've played (Though some of the graphic work in FFV was awful).  I had great experiences with FFIV and FF:Dimensions... 

To me it seems that whenever S-E (or other Japanese companies these days) announces a semi-decent game for iOS/Android, people automatically start crapping all over it... I'll admit that there are some PURE GARBAGE games put out on iOS (All the Bravest), but they aren't all bad, and a lot of the newer "expensive" titles are really quite good.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this remake is going to look like :)

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 09:13:42 am »
As someone who has played through a lot of SquareEnix games in iOS, I can say that I have actually enjoyed what I've played (Though some of the graphic work in FFV was awful).  I had great experiences with FFIV and FF:Dimensions... 

To me it seems that whenever S-E (or other Japanese companies these days) announces a semi-decent game for iOS/Android, people automatically start crapping all over it... I'll admit that there are some PURE GARBAGE games put out on iOS (All the Bravest), but they aren't all bad, and a lot of the newer "expensive" titles are really quite good.

FF4 was on the DS at first, same with FF3. Dunno if that should count or not.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 09:56:18 am »

I haven't played FF: Dimensions, but I thought one of the biggest complaints was that the graphics looked too much like the PC RPG Makers (shameful for several reasons). :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »
On the topic of Square and cashing in: the recent PC version of FFVII is essentially the same one released back in 98 or whenever. All the mods intended for that version are compatible, and it features the same issues and bugs (especially the "great" MIDI synths that was only recently fixed up) as the original PC port. The only large differences were a small hackish resolution change, and implementation of those achievements/cloud saves and stuff like that.
MIDI?  I thought the whole soundtrack was supplied in OGG format.  And they botched the conversion, which is why other people have made replacements.

I suppose if they do by some miracle get the PC version running on Android, it's going to be exactly that: the PC version running on Android, with no remarkable fixes or improvements.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:09:46 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 01:09:56 pm »

You know, if people were going around slagging my games all the time, saying "this is garbage, that's garbage" etc.

I might release one that I thought was just garbage to show them what garbage looks like

And FFV is adorable, the chaddich will be silent

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 10:38:20 pm »
FF4 was on the DS at first, same with FF3. Dunno if that should count or not.

ALL the other FF games and DQ games that SE is planning to bring to iOS were on other systems first...  I don't really see what you're getting at...

@KingMike:  I don't have a problem with RPGMaker style graphics...  I believe most complaints come from younger gamers who never lived through the glory days of the SNES.

I'm not trying to start any fights here; I'm just tired of seeing ANY iOS news from a big Japanese company get crapped all over by almost everyone in any news comments section...  Which begs the question: Why am I even reading the comments sections!?  Everyone knows not to do that! ;)