News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GUIDE: Remove Fan Translator Intros / Splash Screens from ROMs  (Read 4238 times)

wade010

• View Profile
GUIDE: Remove Fan Translator Intros / Splash Screens from ROMs
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:25:00 am »
Moderation Edit: RHDN does not condone the modification of existing patches.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:59:07 pm by DarkSol »

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: GUIDE: Remove Fan Translator Intros / Splash Screens from ROMs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 02:01:03 am »
Well, I'm not really a fan of obnoxious, long, unskippable intros, but otherwise I'm not really a fan of the idea of removing the credits for the fan-translators this way (sometimes it's even a notice against rom reproductions). It's not that respectful to the translators. For instance, I don't see a particular reason for removing Nintendo's logo from PAL Terranigma, or Atlus/Xseed's logos on games they aren't involved with in any way besides translation work.

But I'll let you know bypassing the intro the way you did has been anticipated, either by the developers themselves or amongside the fan-translation scene itself.
So, provided their measures go beyond a simple hack by JMP / JSR RTS to the intro routine (which is quite often), well...
I can now recall at least three examples off my head where the game, well... doesn't take it lightly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jkxumvnpNQ

wade010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:43:39 am »
Well I wouldn't remove Nintendo's logo from PAL Terranigma, or Atlus/Xseed's logos from games they weren't involved with either because those where official releases, when it comes to fan translations though its different, the intent of a fan translation is usually to give the community access to a game that was not otherwise available to a western audience or to improve on sub par translations, the goal of which, I figured, was to keep the experience as close as possible to the original, adding an intro to the game with art work that wasn't produced by the artists is changing the intended experience, this is a bad thing.

Translator credits should be applied as minimalistically as possible, a line of text on the main menu, include yourself in the closing credits, there is no need to deface someone else's intellectual property with your own spin on the ark work in the form of intros, respect the original work don't spray paint all over it.

Death to intros.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:59:01 am by wade010 »

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:13 am »
when it comes to fan translations though its different, the intent of a fan translation is usually to give the community access to a game that was not otherwise available to a western audience or to improve on sub par translations
And the intent of an official localization is to make money. Does this somehow justify an intro more?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 05:00:17 am »
I find discussions about "respecting" fan translation work when the work itself doesn't "respect" the IP rights of the creator to be amusing at best.
Most splash screens/trainers are annoying or downright obnoxious. I agree they should be minimalist if added to the beginning of the game or should be after the credits. And people shouldn't moan about things being done to their work without permission when the work itself is done without permission. Credit is fine and good, but there is a point where the pot is just calling the kettle black.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 05:36:29 am »
A clearly visible graphical mark that you are playing an official fan translation isn't just a nice thing to have, it is damn nearly required. Because otherwise scammers will sell reproductions to unsuspecting people as real products. There are only two reasons to obsess over this topic like you do. a) You are one of those scammers who want to sell repros. b) a compulsive disorder that makes you go nuts over completely irrelevant shit like this.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

wade010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:26:09 am »
a) I do not sell SNES carts.
b) You opinions on this matter are quite toxic, it's a somewhat delicate matter, you are not required to understand.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:32:10 am by wade010 »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 07:31:27 am »
I find discussions about "respecting" fan translation work when the work itself doesn't "respect" the IP rights of the creator to be amusing at best.
Most splash screens/trainers are annoying or downright obnoxious. I agree they should be minimalist if added to the beginning of the game or should be after the credits. And people shouldn't moan about things being done to their work without permission when the work itself is done without permission. Credit is fine and good, but there is a point where the pot is just calling the kettle black.

Well then, playing the unaltered Japanese version (not even the localized version) would be the only way to remain faithful to the original and respect its creator IP. But then people should seek the Japanese versions instead of an unfaithful fan-translation patch.

If they are not satisfied with the work done and the vision of the fan-translators that worked hard on it for free (ie translation choices, fonts, intros) they should start a whole new translation project instead of removing the credits for the translators.
I fail to see what makes the fan-translator not being worthy of being credited wherever he wants in HIS patch, while the official translation companies are, with 5-second unskippable logo intros no less on top of the original intros (so much for being "faithful to the original")? It's highly odd...

The scam concern is very real, they did after all sell the translation for Mother 3 even with the disclaimer intro screen inside.
Pre-patched roms have been around the net for a long time and reproduced as some community members saw first hand with their projects. It goes without saying the readme isn't distributed along the rom. They may as well sell them with the intros truncated.

What makes the practice of removing intros makes the one doing it any different from Chinese bootleggers who would remove company names and sell it as an unrelated product (case in point, as something that could be sold as an "unreleased official localization")?

And it's not like the Documents section didn't have the answer already: the very document that details how to add the intro gives how to figure out the starting address. The specific nature of the question and the way this thread was created raises a lot of questions...

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:30 am »
Well then, playing the unaltered Japanese version (not even the localized version) would be the only way to remain faithful to the original and respect its creator IP.
A clearly visible graphical mark that you are playing an official fan translation isn't just a nice thing to have, it is damn nearly required. Because otherwise scammers will sell reproductions to unsuspecting people as real products. There are only two reasons to obsess over this topic like you do. a) You are one of those scammers who want to sell repros.
Quoted for truth.

I seriously doubt this guy is not selling repros. And don't try to play the "you don't understand me" card, it won't work.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 09:12:31 am »
Good thing I found a way to embed my extra splashes and code not just at boot, but as a fundamental part of the games I've worked on. And yeah, if you don't want your splash screens removed there are seriously a ton of ways to make the game need them. That trick with Mother 3 is only one of the countless possibilities of protection for your work.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 12:15:15 pm »
I don't see the big deal.  I think it's a requirement nowadays considering there are so many thieves out there that WILL take credit for your work and actually go to the lengths and try to sell it.  It's more of a matter to show you did your work as a README or op/ed credit just aren't enough anymore.

I'm not really fully 'against' something like this but I think it's a bit harsh for the people who put months of work.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'