News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Technical Term for a Table

Started by Malias, October 08, 2013, 03:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malias

If you were to describe a table in a general way, what would you call it?  You could just call it a Thingy table, but that only distinguishes it from other types of tables and doesn't tell you what it is.  I'd call it a custom character encoding table, but it supports more than just individual characters.  Depending on how you want to define it, a table also allows for some light scripting.  So, what do you call a table then?
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Bregalad

henke37

FAST6191

I agree table in ROM hacking and table in programming are not necessarily the same thing so you might cause some confusion if you used the terms without good context or explanation in some other sites. "Given this file uses a custom character encoding/mapping, and some of those values are reserved/used by the parser as a type of scripting I will have to make a table with the decoding values on it" should say it all (give or take an extra word to explain your table-- left hand side = hex value, right hand side = UTF8 encoding/equivalent) to anybody likely able to help you with your problem though, I have to wonder for how much longer that will be as custom encodings are not so much a thing, general encodings are increasingly being replaced with unicode and not all programmers are taught it as extensively as it once was (usually in favour of unicode http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html ).

Character filter is what Hex Workshop uses.
Character conversion table is what XVI32 uses, it also says load/save/clear table in its buttons.
Character translation is what Tiny Hexer uses
Charset is what HxD uses.
Character encoding list/table
Character encoding map (windows has a tool called Character Map after all).
Script is part of windows when you go to select a font, though I would probably discourage use of this if you want to avoid confusion between the item you are decoding/a subset of it and the encoding format.
Codepage is what a lot of windows users/programmers may know the term as, though it is not a windows exclusive term like some (IBM coined it I believe and I think Oracle and some other big business software people use it).
Following on from that where table making/figuring out the encoding would probably be the sort of terms used in ROM hacking circles the term sniffing seems to come up in more general circles. That said it might be determined more from soft/predefined concepts and the idea of a relative search does not feature highly in this sort of thing (more opening marker bytes, determining new line/line break markers, common encoding tells like shiftJIS tending to start with an 8, 9, E or F and such*)

In most of those cases the idea of scripting commands is probably not entirely alien either; see most of the below 20h ASCII table, aka the control codes, though how many go beyond line breaks/line feed and the windows/mac/unix variations these days I am not sure about.

*mojibake being a slang term in Japan and among those that use Japanese for when someone has the wrong encoding.

A lot of this varies between programming languages, operating systems, countries, fields within computing and more so it looks like you are going to have to provide context.

Malias

Interesting, I didn't know how many names it went under.  The reason I ask is because I am programming a utility that would use them in a general way and I didn't want to use the generic name of "table" for obvious reasons.  I couldn't think of a name that encapsulated what they are, but this helped clarify things a bit, thanks. 
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Gemini

I'd go for "lookup table for custom codepage" or just "custom text encoding".
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.