News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Formation Soccer 94 Name Translation Help  (Read 2985 times)

Kashim

• View Profile
Super Formation Soccer 94 Name Translation Help
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:40:22 am »
Hi all!

I am really newbie in romhacking, hex editing and such things.
So here is this game, SFS 94. The good thing is the 80% of the game is in english. Only the names of the players are in japanese. I did a table about that, every player are referring to which REAL life player (it's a bit hard work because japanese pronunciation + unlicensed game). But I did it. Now I only would like to put these names into the game. Is this possible and if it is then how?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:55:01 am by Kashim »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Super Formation Soccer 94 Name Translation Help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Yes it is possible, anything is possible, and changing player names certainly is. The main problem you will have is fitting the real names into the tiny spaces allocated for them in Japanese.

For example, looking at the Ireland team and their player オルゴリッジ (Orugorijji, which I can only assume must be [John] Aldridge), you have 6 characters for that, and that appears to be the most you can fit. Of course, Aldridge is 8 characters, so it won't fit.

Unless you can do some assembly hacking, you're not going to fit more than 6 characters in each name slot, and there are going to be many more players with longer names than Aldridge.

So, in summary, it IS possible, but you'll either have to a) make concessions by cutting off the end of players' names, or b) do some serious hacking.

That's my view, anyway. :)

ps. I examined the file in Tile Molester and couldn't find the Japanese font anywhere. Lots of graphics for players etc but I couldn't spot any fonts. Not sure how I'm missing it.

Kashim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:43:37 pm »
Yeah I was looking for katakanas in the rom with any hexeditor I could imagine and couldnt fin them.
I know that too the translation should use the same amount of characters like the original, but it isnt a big problem, I could shorten them.

So the only question how could I find the names? :D

(anyway here is the table of the translated names: http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/dx8355)

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »

(anyway here is the table of the translated names: http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/dx8355)

No Portugal ?!  :o

Kashim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:54:11 am »
No Portugal ?!  :o

Only the teams who were qualified for WC 1994 and the teams who barely missed