News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy I & II (Unofficial Update #2) Patching problems  (Read 1889 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Final Fantasy I & II (Unofficial Update #2) Patching problems
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:21:45 am »
Hey, I have a basic problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I want to patch the Final Fantasy 1 & 2 cart to get the ultimate ROM, which I plan to repro on a real Final Fantasy 1 & 2 Famicom donor cart.

I'm having trouble with the final step of the process, the update #2.

From what I understand, the process is to take the Final Fantasy 1 & 2(J).nes rom and then patch the NeoDemiforce Translation of 1 & 2 (where 1 crashes if you talk to anyone and both share the same save file) and then patch over top that with the Unofficial Update #1. Finally, you patch over the Unofficial Update #2 with Unofficial Update #2.

Except that whenever I do that, the file goes from 512KB to 256KB and Final Fantasy II crashes upon bootup. Am I doing something wrong, or is the Unofficial Update #2 broken in some way?

Here's the links:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1595/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1607/

Grond

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy I & II (Unofficial Update #2) Patching problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »
I made the 1st unofficial update (#1595), but not the 2nd one, so I can't vouch for that one working correctly. But it seemed extremely buggy when I tested it just now (garbled gfx & such).

On the other hand, I can't vouch for (any of) my own patch(es) working correctly on real hardware (GFF's animated title screen messes up on Nintendulator, which is reputed to be accurate, and I have no idea why), so you might want to test on a PowerPak first (or get someone else to do it for you if you don't have one).