News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?  (Read 42069 times)

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
Re: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2021, 02:46:02 pm »
Steel Empire is a great one: https://youtu.be/eyvSpDCnsKc it has a really unique "Steampunk" look for a shooter on the Genesis.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2021, 09:25:16 am »
^I think I said it earlier on in this thread, but the whole genre could be this discussion. Plus, unlike other consoles that are good at it, you didn't have to import most of the best ones.

Though for something of an import of the shoot 'em up genre to the NA region(now has an official release in a 4 game pack for the developer), unlike what some think, Zero Wing has a lot more to offer than a memetastic intro.

This one's out of my personal range, but since I mentioned a Buck Rogers game, the Genesis has a port of the SSI Goldbox PC RPG Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I've never seen it get a worse grade than C, usually much higher when I do see reviews of it. Sequel remains PC exclusive to my knowledge.

Ironically the SSI Goldbox series were mostly D&D games. That said, some swear by the D&D game here as well, Warriors of the Eternal Sun.

If you can't find enough to do with JRPG's, you might be pleasantly surprised by the WRPGs. If you even care about this type of gaming to begin with.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2021, 02:22:25 pm »
Whip Rush is a pretty fun shooter with a satisfying challenge level. I recommend it.

I also enjoyed Curse. Despite the substandard frame rate I found it a pleasure to play, and I like the soundtrack a lot.

The first Smurfs platformer is pretty fun. (The second one stinks, sadly.)

Here's a list of what's been recommended so far:

Obscure (or "obscure") games recommended by someone:

16 Ton
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Arcus Odyssey
Arrow Flash
Battle Mania / Trouble Shooter
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Beyond Oasis
Biohazard Battle
Blades of Vengeance
Bubba 'n Stix
Cannon Fodder
Chiki Chiki Boys
Columns III
Comix Zone
CrossFire/Super Airwolf
Crue Ball
Crusader of Centy
Curse
Cyborg Justice
Dahna: Megami Tanjou
Devilish/Bad Omen
Dinosaurs for Hire
Donald in Maui Mallard
Dragon Ball Z: L'Appel du Destin
Dragon's Fury/Devil Crash MD
Dune II
Dyna Brothers 2
Dynamite Headdy
El Viento
Elemental Master
Elf Wor/Revenge of Fu Manchu/Super Magican/Ling Huan Dao Shi
Eliminate Down
Eternal Champions
Exile
Fatal Labyrinth
Fengshen Yingjiechuan
Fire Shark
Flicky
Flink
Gaiares
Gain Ground
Garfield: Caught in the Act
General Chaos
Gleylancer
Golden Axe III
Goofy's Hysterical History Tour
Granada
Gunstar Heroes
Haunting Starring Polterguy
Herzog Zwei
High School Soccer Kunio Kun
Home Alone
Honoo no Toukyuuji Dodge Danpei
The Hybrid Front
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Jewel Master
Jim Power
Kid Chameleon
King Colossus
King's Bounty
Landstalker
Langrisser II
Light Crusader
Lord Monarch
Lotus & Lotus II
Magical Taruruuto-kun
Mamono Hunter Yohko
Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter
McDonald's Treasure Land
Micro Machines
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Micro Machines: Turbo Tournament '96
Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Monster World IV
Moving Adventure Psy-O-Blade
M.U.S.H.A.
Mystic Defender
Onslaught
Panorama Cotton
Phantom 2040
Pier Solar
Pirates! Gold
Pulstar
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Robocop vs. The Terminator
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2 & 3
Rolo to the Rescue
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Scooby-Doo Mystery
Sensible Soccer
Shadow Dancer
Shadowrun
Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan / Water Margin
Skitchin'
The Smurfs
Sol-Deace
Sparkster
Star Cruiser
Starflight
Steel Empire
Super Fantasy Zone
Super Hydlide
Sword of Vermilion
Taz-Mania
Tinhead
Todd's Adventures in Slime World
Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics
Trampoline Terror
Twinkle Tale
Ultimate Qix/Volfied
Undeadline
Valis
Wani Wani World
Wardner
Warrior of Rome II
Weaponlord
Whip Rush
Wings of Wor/Gynoug
Wiz 'n Liz
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Worms
Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen
Zero Wing
Zoom

Games that have been mentioned, but not recommended per se:

After Burner II
Buck Rogers
Burning Force
D&D: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Dragon Slayer series (e.g. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes)
Dyna Brothers
Galaxy Force II
Mulan (bootleg)
Ninja Burai Densetsu
Quad Challenge
Rings of Power
S.S. Lucifer: Man Overboard!
Sangokushi Retsuden: Ransei no Eiyuutachi
Sorcerian
Space Harrier II
Super Thunder Blade
Surging Aura

Games that have been recommended, but can't reasonably be called "obscure":

(Disney's) Aladdin
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Phantasy Star III
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi III
Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle I, II, III
Thunder Force II, III, IV
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 04:32:14 pm by goldenband »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2021, 02:42:50 pm »
Oh I can recommend Wiz 'n Liz. Dune II I wouldn't call obscure, but it is good. Just a bit dated if you're used to C&C and later RTSs.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2021, 02:53:07 pm »
Oh I can recommend Wiz 'n Liz. Dune II I wouldn't call obscure, but it is good. Just a bit dated if you're used to C&C and later RTSs.
Wiz 'n Liz actually got double-listed, thanks for catching that!

As for "obscure" I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to all but the most extreme cases. But series like Thunder Force, Phantasy Star, and Streets of Rage are so famously identified with the Genesis that only the likes of Sonic are more visible -- if you've heard of the Genesis, you've probably heard of those games, as they're total "Genesis starter pack" material -- while Castlevania and Mega Man are too high-profile as a series.

At least Golden Axe III was Sega Channel-only in the US, while Shadow Dancer is relatively overlooked compared to the other two. Similarly, Aladdin and Castle of Illusion are too famous, whereas Quackshot is a tier below in visibility (at least in the US, maybe not Japan). Of course this is all for fun anyway...

BTW Ninja Burai Densetsu is one game that got mentioned without a recommendation that looks really interesting to me. Can't tell if it's actually any good, though, without a translation patch.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2021, 03:23:30 pm »
Might and Magic 2 and King's Bounty are games that I enjoy.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2021, 04:58:51 pm »
I'll second King's Bounty, an ambitious game for the MD and still pretty unique too. Don't let the crude audiovisuals keep you from trying it.

Wiz 'n Liz actually got double-listed, thanks for catching that!

As for "obscure" I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to all but the most extreme cases. But series like Thunder Force, Phantasy Star, and Streets of Rage are so famously identified with the Genesis that only the likes of Sonic are more visible -- if you've heard of the Genesis, you've probably heard of those games, as they're total "Genesis starter pack" material -- while Castlevania and Mega Man are too high-profile as a series.

At least Golden Axe III was Sega Channel-only in the US, while Shadow Dancer is relatively overlooked compared to the other two. Similarly, Aladdin and Castle of Illusion are too famous, whereas Quackshot is a tier below in visibility (at least in the US, maybe not Japan). Of course this is all for fun anyway...

BTW Ninja Burai Densetsu is one game that got mentioned without a recommendation that looks really interesting to me. Can't tell if it's actually any good, though, without a translation patch.

That's rather cool to see for Thunder Force too, since I don't think it used to be the case. Well, shoot 'em ups are still pretty niche in general but that series has a bigger following now than back in the day I feel like.

I agree with the rest. Ninja Burai Densetsu I haven't really played but I did like the music, which is kinda similar to the OST for Rent a Hero.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2021, 09:29:33 am »
Some would say Curse was the worst game on the console, but at least it's playable, unlike some other actual terrible games on the console.

I'd say Thunder Force and Wily Wars count as obscure.

Problem is we'd be here all day defining, redefining, and re-redefining the word obscure. It's rough because where else are you going to discuss these older games, but on the internet? However, no matter how many message boards, Youtube videos, etc., games getting better known on the internet, by the tens of thousands at best, aren't suddenly mainstream known.

I'd position Gunstar Heroes as obscure still, no matter how many top 10 Genesis game lists it makes. For a relatively mainstream series, I'd even suggest Metroid was fairly obscure. Seems like it holds onto the same barely over 1 million fans in an ever growing industry reaching billions(even if most of that is mobile gaming nowadays). No matter what it has for a fandom, Mother/Earthbound is definitely obscure. Most RPGs/RPG series are, including Chrono. Final Fantasy probably would be if it weren't for the few cases of heavily advertised millions sellers. (Hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on Nintendo here, just some observations).

I don't want to rush anyone working on these, if there are any, but the games I'd love to see English translations for on this console:

Surging Aura - I know it's being worked on by Red Comet, if you can read French or Russian, you can already have a go at it. PSIV being a favorite, I want to see how they utilize it's engine with this one. Plus there aren't a whole hell of a lot of Arabic fantasy adventure/RPG's, though I can name 3 off the top of my head for this console alone(Beyond Oasis, Exile, and Monster World IV).

Sorcerian - The gameplay itself looks simple, but other aspects seem like they could be fairly complex. There's exclusive missions in this version as I understand it too.

Dyna Brothers/2 - Not much of a strategy person myself, but these 2 look like they could be fun.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2021, 10:37:11 am »
I'd say that an obscure game is one that: a) came out only in one region and very few people elsewhere know about it (especially JP-exclusives, due to the greatest language barrier); b) is known mostly by a small group of enthusiasts, because the sales were low (even if there's a lot of info about it in English otherwise); c) was popular for a brief while, but is barely known by anyone today.

Judging by such criteria, most of the Mother series is not obscure IMO; Mother 3 was one of the most popular fan-translations ever, and many people have played/remember Earthbound. Only the first game is rather obscure, I'd say. As for the ones you listed - JP-exclusives are by default obscure in most cases, unless they're from some big franchise (early Final Fantasy games or Super Robot Wars, for example). Surging Aura for instance I'd probably classify as obscure, even though it is probably the most expected fan-translation (IMO it's also not that great of a game either, judging by the French version, but it had some good moments from what I recall).

Either way, if we take all that into the account, there's also Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden, that one's an original story in YYH universe (a mixture of a VN/fighting game of sorts). Could be interesting for the fans of the series once it's fan-translated. Also, The Hybrid Front - a turn-based strategy game, written by an actual novelist, Masahiro Noda (a popular sci-fi writer over there at the time). There are also some Dragon Slayer ports, but I don't know much about them. Overall, I think goldenband's list is pretty comprehensive.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2021, 11:16:33 am »
Kind of exactly what I was talking about. Mother 3 has over 26,000 downloads, any given Earthbound/Mother forum has about 30,000 registered users. You interact with the series' fans on the internet, possibly everywhere you go on gaming forums on the internet, and that gives off the illusion that it's this massively popular series. The games, however, never reach so much as half a million sales. It's not exactly a series you can walk away from the internet, find gamers, and have a discussion with, unless you get really lucky and it's one of the 30,000 that would have registered for one of those forums.

That's the trick of trying to define obscure, because if all you know of gamers is who you can talk to about older games on the internet, you don't really know which games are truly well known among gamers, unless they've always had a certain amount of popularity(like Mario, Sonic, Pokemon, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Streets Fighter, DooM, etc.).

Using EA as an example, I've brought up Skitchin' a million times, it truly is one of my favorites. People really know what the Road Rash series is, but not this particular spin off/cousin of the series on inline skates. People know what the Strike games are(Desert, Jungle, Urban, and there's a couple on the 32-bit consoles), but no one knows what Blades of Vengeance or Haunting starring Polterguy are. They get more and more conversation on the internet/exposure through Youtube videos, but gamers are not likely to ever know what those games are on a much larger scale.

Which is fine, leaves more for us to discover :P.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2021, 12:00:58 pm »
Just to be clear, my working definition of "obscure" was meant to avoid defining "obscure", by classifying only the most well-known games as non-obscure. For everything else, it depends, as always. ;D

Added the most recent named games, and also threw in Moving Adventure Psy-O-Blade, a visual novel/adventure with very minor action elements. Certainly worth a playthrough.

I can't recommend it or not -- can only say it exists -- but on music alone, Sega's non-Koei Three Kingdoms strategy game, Sangokushi Retsuden: Ransei no Eiyuutachi, is very intriguing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBKAsyVqBA

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2021, 12:59:21 pm »
Kind of exactly what I was talking about. Mother 3 has over 26,000 downloads, any given Earthbound/Mother forum has about 30,000 registered users. You interact with the series' fans on the internet, possibly everywhere you go on gaming forums on the internet, and that gives off the illusion that it's this massively popular series. The games, however, never reach so much as half a million sales. It's not exactly a series you can walk away from the internet, find gamers, and have a discussion with, unless you get really lucky and it's one of the 30,000 that would have registered for one of those forums.

Ah, I believe it only has this many downloads here; Mato (or was it someone else from the team?) mentioned somewhere that the actual number a couple weeks after the release had been way higher, more than 100k in fact, but I am not 100% sure about the exact statistics. (found it -> https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132284/you_say_tomato_a_pro_on_.php, and that was in 2008). Whatever the case may be, I guess you're right - if you count the games under 500k sales as obscure then that's the vast majority of all games. I'd also classify Japanese PC games as obscure by that token as well, mostly because they usually have adult elements/the sales mostly weren't spectacular, either.

One more game I remembered, in the meantime - Magical Taruruuto-kun by none other than Game Freak, of Pokemon fame. A pretty fun, albeit short/simple platformer with very little text (there's a script translation somewhere online).

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2021, 04:02:57 pm »
Most of gaming is going to be obscure by nature. It's a massive hobby, a lot is going to fly under the radar, and it'd be impossible to not miss out on a lot. Which would be the point of a thread like this :P

Game Freak also has Pulseman, which is pretty cool platformer. I believe that's one of M.I.J.E.T.s translations. I'd definitely give that a recommendation.