News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?  (Read 43461 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:52 pm »
There was a game...I don't remember the title. It was a left-to-right scrolling shooter with a winged humanoid as the main, and it featured a weapon that looked like it shot teardrops in multiple directions?

Left-to-right scroller, angel being, power-up drops from enemies...on the Sega Genesis...? I don't remember what it's called.

The music was nice.
Yamero~~!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2013, 06:02:04 pm »
Horizontal winged human shooter...
Wings of Wor/Gynoug?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2013, 01:06:22 pm »
Hai. :3
Yamero~~!

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
Edit: Meh, formerly some console wars junk that doesn't really matter in the longrun anyway.

As for the topic:
I gotta reiterate on Skitchin'. Just a lot of fun, if you can get into it(that's the key part of all of gaming, really).

I've tried all sorts of games in the meantime, but 5 pages in, and I don't feel like looking to see if someone else has already listed something I could mention.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:09:17 am by FallenAngel2387 »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2013, 04:52:19 am »
This was mentioned once, very briefly, so I thought I'd bring it up again.

I just discovered Scooby Doo Mystery, and holy crap it's actually really cool! It's a point-and-click, feels very SCUMMy. LOOKS very SCUMMy, even! The writing is decent and the puzzles are decently difficult but not too too hard. It seems to be fairly short but it has two entirely different scenarios. I'm moderately impressed by this.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2013, 08:32:47 am »
It really was the best use of that license, and I'm not a fan of the genre. As such, I could never vouch for the quality of that one. I think a Lupin game would also probably work really well as a graphic adventure, maybe with heist planning involved somehow as well..

Edit: Come to think of it, I think the Beavis and Butthead game was kind of a graphic adventure too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:10:09 am by FallenAngel2387 »

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2021, 05:17:33 am »
Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics, which seems to be a sort of adaptation or continuation of the infamous Tom and Jerry film (which was one of the only pieces of T&J material where the titular duo actually spoke instead of making grunts, screams, and laughs).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2021, 10:44:10 am »
Wani Wani World.  It's a sort of port of Berlin Wall that was only in Japan made by Kaneko, a single-screen platformer.  It's colorful to the point of looking like some homebrews do these days, and it's just a shame that we didn't get this localized for whatever reason.

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2021, 10:52:33 am »
Castlevania Bloodlines

Mega Man The Wily Wars

Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2021, 10:57:50 am »
Lord Monarch (JP-only) - a real-time strategy game, probably the best version out of the bunch; adds a really fun campaign which is the highlight here, as the other versions don't have it. Very unique gameplay, too, since you don't control your units directly (except for the leader), just give general orders. Kinda similar to Dyna Brothers 1 and 2 (also JP-only) where you have to lead your units - dinosaurs - to aliens, and kill them to clear the map (or fulfill other requirements).

Star Cruiser (again, JP-only) - a blend of an FPS, adventure game and flight simulator, all in one package. It is sorta slow and clunky, but the fact that a polygon 3D game like that exists on the Genesis/is playable is nothing short of incredible. Amazing OST, too. This is a port of an earlier PC88 game; there are many changes, such as new characters, plot elements etc.

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (by Treasure) - fun little platformer, starring Ronald McDonald. Nice colours/playability, not sure whether this one's particularly well-known.

There are definitely way more than that, I might add some later. :)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2021, 09:58:25 am »
8 years... Can't believe what I said at one point about not having patience for challenging action games. Spent the better part of these 8 years doing just that, specifically on this console.

I've come to realize a lot too. First, the internet is effectively 1% of any given group. The gamers that look back, that spend time on the internet, are more likely to be the ones that enjoy narratives in their gaming. The ones that enjoyed sports or arcade-like action are more likely to just move forward with their hobby without looking back. So that's why most of the "retro"(the actual meaning of the word is something new fashioned in the style of something old, it wasn't meant to be an alternative to terms like classic, vintage, or even oldschool) side of the internet looks to favor Nintendo/Sony. The Genesis may have actually outsold the SNES in North America. Whatever the truth of the units sales are on the whole, it was a close race, that needed DKC to push the SNES as far as it got. The point I'm trying to make is that the Genesis was just as popular here as it was in Europe, but the conversations on the internet will be dominated by RPG fans, and which console was better known for that?

2nd: The Genesis library is always going to be obscure, because, as the consoles name suggests, it was a fresh start for the company. Think about the NES. How many people had the same exact game library? Very few right? However as it's library got more and more well known toward the end, people knew what IPs they wanted on the sequel console, thus everyone wanted the Castlevanias, Mega Mans, Marios, Zeldas, etc. The Genesis didn't followup a successful console, so we're back to square one, like the NES. This person has games A, B, and C, and that person has games X, Y, and Z. Even most 3rd parties didn't franchise their IP's from the Genesis, let alone what Sega didn't followup on with the Saturn, whereas Nintendo and their 3rd parties kept the same IP's going for generations, starting with following up on what they started with on the NES.

Now, for one hell of an obscure Genesis game, which did get a Sega Ages port to the Switch, I offer Herzog Zwei. One of the secretly most important games of all time. Japan tried to get this genre off the ground multiple times, but often the PC's they tried with weren't powerful enough, and the games came across as turn based. When Technosoft chose the Genesis to put this game on, and a producer at Sega chose for this to be one of the games that got localized, the Real Time Strategy genre as we know it would be born from there. This game inspired the creation of Dune II and Command and Conquer. The former got a port, the latter had a cancelled port(I believe a beta rom exists), and it comes full circle that the origins of this genre are effectively on the Genesis.

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2021, 11:13:16 am »
The Genesis may have actually outsold the SNES in North America. Whatever the truth of the units sales are on the whole, it was a close race, that needed DKC to push the SNES as far as it got. The point I'm trying to make is that the Genesis was just as popular here as it was in Europe, but the conversations on the internet will be dominated by RPG fans, and which console was better known for that?

Yeah, it almost certainly was a very close race in the West. I guess here in Europe Scandinavian countries and Germany favoured SNES, but most of other European countries did not. I personally have fond memories of both Master System and MD, but Sony was by far the biggest fish in town starting from PS1 era. Even so, Mega Drive had a fairly simple pick-up-and-play library of games, so it's only natural that it was popular, especially if you liked action titles.

2nd: The Genesis library is always going to be obscure, because, as the consoles name suggests, it was a fresh start for the company. Think about the NES. How many people had the same exact game library? Very few right? However as it's library got more and more well known toward the end, people knew what IPs they wanted on the sequel console, thus everyone wanted the Castlevanias, Mega Mans, Marios, Zeldas, etc. The Genesis didn't followup a successful console, so we're back to square one, like the NES. This person has games A, B, and C, and that person has games X, Y, and Z. Even most 3rd parties didn't franchise their IP's from the Genesis, let alone what Sega didn't followup on with the Saturn, whereas Nintendo and their 3rd parties kept the same IP's going for generations, starting with following up on what they started with on the NES.

That's the thing, here in Europe it was followed by a fairly successful console; SMS was pretty popular where I lived, so many people bought the Mega Drive and later on its successors. The thing is that Sony just blew everyone out of the water with PS1, so maybe that's why we don't hear about Sega's consoles as much nowadays... but they're still fondly remember in Europe, even though we mostly have a PC-gaming tradition, I would say. Also, until Saturn - not that many JP exclusives of note, so if you're a collector you can perhaps play way more games than on SNES right off the bat. The quality, of course, is another matter, but there was a lot of that on the console as well.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2021, 12:53:53 pm »
It's true to an extent here in Europe as well but they did follow up Alex kidd and Wonder Boy, as well as Shinobi which had a more console-ized port on SMS. For some reason Alex Kidd ended up kinda bad, and the WB games didn't sell, I mean I didn't even know about Monster World 3-4 back then even though I loved WB3 so it might've been a lack of marketing. Super Fantasy Zone aka FZ3 (the one called that is a pac-man style spinoff) came a bit late and wasn't marketed either afaik, I played it on SMS but not on MD, but it was a nice game. Psycho Fox became Decap Attack; you'd have to play it to know they were related and the latter didn't have the running focus of the former, with that spot being overtaken by Sonic instead.
Sequels to Zillion and Kenseiden would've been nice, as well as a remake or sequel to Golden Axe Warrior. Maybe Alien Syndrome as well. Asterix (Sega) was handed over to Core and those sequels were only OK on MD.

However since they did get Konami, Capcom, Sunsoft, Tecmo and Taito on board there could've been more sequels for NES games like Bionic Commando, Bubble Bobble, Goonies 2, Metal Gear 2, 1943, Little Nemo, Willow, Ufouria, Rygar, Solomon's Key 1 or 2, etc.
Toki got a port/remix of sorts but it wasn't as good for some reason, and the Double Dragon sequels were not ported well either. Blaster Master 2 was a pretty bad outsourced sequel and so was Strider 2. Batman: Return of the Joker got a poor outsourced port. Flintstones had a pretty good version on MD, a standalone game, and so did Tiny Toons. Ninja Gaiden almost got a beat 'em up sequel on MD but it wasn't finished.
Little Samson and Power Blade 2 could've been remade perhaps. Gremlins 2 was late enough (1990) to get remade or get a unique game for MD too. Rastan 3 could've been ported probably. Would've also loved to see a sequel to Golvellius for MD.

Saturn era is where Sega pretty much stopped caring for their legacy I think, with no proper Sonic, Toejam & Earl, Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, Vectorman, Ecco or Phantasy Star sequels. It did lead to some great new games like Panzer Dragoon 1-2+Saga and Nights, but then they didn't follow those up on DC, I guess since the Saturn failed outside of Japan.

Edit: I got Tecmo and Technos confused, but other companies ported or remade some technos games for MD such as Nintendo World Cup and the aforementioned Double Dragons.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:12:44 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2021, 04:01:23 pm »
Sequels to Zillion and Kenseiden would've been nice, as well as a remake or sequel to Golden Axe Warrior. Maybe Alien Syndrome as well. Asterix (Sega) was handed over to Core and those sequels were only OK on MD.

There was a sequel to Zillion, buuuut it was completely unremarkable (and on the Master System at that; The Tri Formation, look it up if you haven't seen it). Nobody remembers it for a reason, let's just put it this way. I also agree about the giants of the industry at the time, there probably should've been more sequels to their own properties + even more original properties like Rocket Knight at least, in terms of quality. That could've done even more for the console.

Some other "kinda" obscure games I like:
my top 3 RPGs - Starflight, Pirates! Gold and Shadowrun. Those are definitely my fav RPGs on the system, pretty much no contest. Whether they are obscure is another thing, since the first two are rather well-known PC games, but I feel like they're sorta underappreciated on the Genesis. I also enjoyed Panorama Cotton, it being a shmup with great visuals and Undead Line - because there are very few "walking" shmups on the platform, plus it has a rocking soundtrack...

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2021, 07:58:22 am »
Yeah I've played Tri Formation, should've mentioned that but like you said it's pretty unremarkable and also not a Metroid/Impossible Mission-style game like the first and which I wanted more of.

Those 3 RPGs are all pretty cool and very ambitious Open World-like games for the time. I guess Pirates Gold is the most well known out of those. Love Panorama Cotton!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2021, 10:09:37 am »
Well, the Master System certainly did better there than anywhere not named Brazil, but it didn't get European gamers away from the PC's like the Mega Drive did, so it would still be the first Sega console for many over there as well.

Zillion has an anime if you're interested(you'd have to watch most of it dubbed though), Opa Opa from the Fantasy Zone series is fairly well featured in it too.

Super Fantasy Zone! It's on the mini, but we never got a cartridge release in NA.

My favorite obscure game that you guys got that we didn't(in cartridge form) is easily Alien Soldier. Fantastic game.

For the record, Panorama Cotton, Space Harrier II, After Burner II, Super Thunder Blade, Galaxy Force 2, and Burning Force, all on/ported to the Genesis/Mega Drive, are rail shooters. Genre doesn't magically start with Star Fox(though Cotton is newer).

Pirates! is also a favorite. I see it as an open world adventure, more than roleplaying.

I don't know if I have what it takes to get through something like Starflight(or Rings of Power, which is a flat out open world RPG).

If I played Shadowrun correctly the first time I beat it, the beginning is too much of a slow burn for me to return to. Story is great, what little it has, when you're ready for it, but that slow beginning is rough to get through.

Ninja Gaiden not getting any true 16-bit sequels was one of the biggest shames of the 16-bit generation. I'd almost suspect some wanted the SNES for that particular followup, just to get a compilation instead.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2021, 12:33:43 pm »
Thanks, I have checked out that anime once and it's pretty neat if you're into stuff like Robotech, Cobra and Starzinger.

Yes Alien Soldier is great. I believe it was pretty obscure here too, perhaps not releasing in certain countries at all. I never saw it back then personally though by 1995 I was playing SNES more, as well as PC DOS and Windows games. The Amiga was pretty big here (Sweden) up until around Doom 1, but also Nintendo's consoles; I'd say the MD was only really popular for 3-4 years here but that's just my personal experience. Pretty much no one had a Saturn and only some the DC.

Not sure if there were any real stand out examples of non-US games that were also really popular. Dragon Ball Z might've been a hit in France. Wily Wars and Super Fantasy Zone I also didn't know about at the time. The below are good but they're multiplat games (besides MM '96):
Cannon Fodder
Donald in Maui Mallard
Flink
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Micro Machines: Turbo Tournament '96
Worms
Dragon Ball Z: L'Appel du Destin
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

One example of a game seemingly more popular in the EU (and in Russia) but which is not exclusive there is Dune II. Maybe also Wiz 'n Liz.

Indeed, Sega were sort of the kings of that genre in the arcades at least, and the Panzer Dragoon games were great too.

A similar game to Starflight but perhaps more accessible is Star Control 2, I'll recommend the fan remake of that one for PC since it's also free. It's really a tweaked port of the 3DO version back to PC.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:49:34 pm by PresidentLeever »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2021, 08:38:25 am »
There was this early rail shooter in '83, that got ported to the 2600 the same year, Buck Rogers. Funny thing is, I think Sega was involved with that one too.

Speaking of '83, back to Technosoft, they made a PC game(not sure which exact Japanese PC) that would be the start of a shoot 'em up series, before the starting title of any other shoot 'em up series, which would be Thunder Force. The odd numbered stages in Thunder Force II were what the original game was like the entire time, but then the even numbered stages are what the series would adapt. Turns out, as not as popular as the MD was in Japan, it was letters from the MD owners about TFII, that let the developers know how appreciated the game was. Thunder Force III, to my knowledge is the only time this ever happened, got a port to the arcade, as Thunder Force AC, then to the rival console as Thunder Spirits. Meaning the MD/Genesis game would have had to have been that damn good. Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force(as we got it here) has one of, if not the most, metal track in a cartridge console, if you can make it to the 8th stage. Not familiar with V as that moves onto the 32-bit consoles, and Technosoft were defunct by VI, which was handled by Sega for the PS2, and not the best received entry in the series.

At this point, we're probably mentioning stuff that was already mentioned within the first 3 pages here, hard not to.

Someone mentioned series people should associate with the console, and forgot to mention Shinobi. That said, I'm not sure how well known Shadow Dancer is. Plays like the original arcade game, but with the dog mechanic(hold the button down until the dog is ready, and it grabs onto and distracts the enemy, gets especially useful when there are multiple gun using enemies).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2021, 10:44:00 am »
There was this early rail shooter in '83, that got ported to the 2600 the same year, Buck Rogers. Funny thing is, I think Sega was involved with that one too.
Yes, that was ported to a wide variety of pre-NES machines; I fondly recall the Coleco ADAM version.  There's a whole bunch of videos contrasting them all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Xrc2PZwG0
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2021, 01:01:28 pm »
TFV has a totally metal OST as well, when it's not using jazz fusion. One of my fave shooter series (up until 5 anyway, haven't actually played 6 yet).

Shadow Dancer is solid too (and also has some good music, particularly the credits ballad), though I prefer having a lifebar. Luckily for me there is a "2 HP" hack for it.