News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?  (Read 46130 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer
Alisia Dragoon
Alien Soldier
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Bubba 'n Stix
Columns III
Devil's Crush
Elemental Master
Eliminate Down
Fire Shark
Gaiares
General Chaos
High School Soccer Kunio Kun
Honoo no Toukyuuji Dodge Danpei
King Colossus
Langrisser II
Monster World IV
Panorama Cotton
Ranger X
Rolling Thunder 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Twinkle Tale
Wiz 'n Liz
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

MCD:
Android Assault
Keio Flying Squadron
Lords of Thunder
Mickey Mania
Misadventures of Flink, The
Popful Mail
Robo Aleste
Silpheed
Sol-Feace
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »
LOL that game is more gorgeous than its Saturn sequel, speaking about the sequel, does it live up?

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:29 pm »
Alright, noted on the Dragon Crystal front.

For the record, Devil's Crash got a U.S./Europe release as Dragon's Fury. It also got a U.S./Europe only sequel called Dragon's Revenge.

Golden Axe III - While the series is well known, this one never left Japan, and kind of take it's own direction.

Cyborg Justice - Mileage may vary on this one. The controls are awkwardly complex, but if you're willing to get used to them, there's a fun, but challenging, beat 'em up in there, about ripping the parts off your opponents, and using them for yourself. Admittedly, Capcom arcade game Armored Warriors did it better, but used giant mechs.

Goofy's Hysterical History Tour - Has a grappling hook thing going on, almost like Bionic commando. Haven't played much of it, but what I have seemed pretty good.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 12:33:10 am »
Goofy's Hysterical History Tour - Has a grappling hook thing going on, almost like Bionic commando. Haven't played much of it, but what I have seemed pretty good.

I had that game when I was young.  It was pretty fun.  It was one of those games that opened up more the higher the difficulty was.  I think you also had to have the highest difficulty to get the real ending.  I remember it being hard and dying a lot.

Yeah, Sword of Vermillion was good.  I'm just glad it came with a game guide.

I'd like to add Phantom 2040.  I know it was also on the snes, but I played it on the Genesis and thought it was an awesome game.  It was one of the first nonlinear action games I played and the first game I played where your actions directly affected the plot.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 03:10:48 am »
UI hate CJ and Goofy's History Bullshit so much

I rented the former a bunch pof times and never figured out the controls, and the latter I owned and barely got through three levels of.

Fuck those games for life, lol.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

EarlJ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 03:11:51 am »
Fengshen Yingjiechuan

It's an unlicensed Chinese SRPG. Like Shining Force without the little cutscenes when you attack, and like Shining Force it's relatively easy to play if you don't understand the language.

There are some spikes in difficulty, sometimes due to small maps where enemies have powerful area-of-effect magic, sometimes because hard-hitting enemies continually respawn.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 04:54:11 am »
Golden Axe III - While the series is well known, this one never left Japan, and kind of take it's own direction.

The US did get Golden Axe III. It was a Sega Channel exclusive.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 08:27:56 am »
From what I played of Rolo to the rescue, it was great. Also, the Jim Power prototype is pretty good. It is way better than the SNES version, mostly cause it has better music. There's also the Elf Wor/Revenge of Manchu pirate. I can't make it past the 1st stage but it is fun while it lasts. Seems to be a ZAMN clone.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 09:53:23 am »
The US did get Golden Axe III. It was a Sega Channel exclusive.

I wonder if that's why the cart annoyingly locks out only the American region. :P
At first I thought the Game Genie codes out there weren't working, so I debugged my own code (BT7T-CR9E, 013BE4:670C).
Then I realized the GG enable switch was in the "off" position.
Thing is, my code added a disco filter to the game only seen on real hardware (US model 2) and not Regen (Kega Fusion didn't even accept the Game Genie code). I can only imagine maybe it was passing the region check, but possibly making the game think the console was PAL?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:10 pm »
Well, it's hard to keep track of when you filter in something like Sega Channel. Were people able to keep anything they played? For that matter, how were it's exclusives, and Satellaview altogether, dumped?

Not my area, but I imagine there are a lot of shoot 'em ups that could be mentioned here, if they haven't already been.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 01:07:25 pm »
From what I heard, it was only downloaded to RAM in the modem cart, so it was gone as soon as the power was turned off.

And since nobody came up with a way to dump that, nope, those ROMs are gone.
Though supposedly there are dumps of the Nintendo Channel NDS data (similar idea, the Nintendo Channel on Wii could have used Wi-Fi to transfer game programs (game demos) to an original DS/Lite that are only present while the console is on. Those demos were of course only available for a limited time. And Nintendo doesn't do that anymore know that they have the eShop, where they can allow user to download limited-boot (typically 30 times, it seems) demos.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »
Back to the topic at hand, while not necesarily obscure, I really liked The Adventurs of Batman and Robinb, specifically because of the fast pace and Jespers Kyd soundtrack
_-|-_

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:42 pm »
shadowrun
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »
Ah, agreed on that, shadowrun is a consolized wrpgs and works rather well
_-|-_

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:32 am »
I'm just glad these threads aren't starting that stupid argument between the consoles yet again.

16 Ton was a cool platformer. You had to kill all the enemies by dropping a 16 ton weight on them. Kind of like Bubble Bobble in a way, but not on single screen, and I believe there was blood when something got crushed.

Dahna: Megami Tanjou - Halfway between Golden Axe and a platformer. I guess in that regard it would make it closer to classic Castlevania or Legendary Axe.

Ultimate Qix - Qix with the ability to fight back. I think it appears on the PC Enigne as Volfied.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 01:51:34 pm »
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 10:51:08 pm »
Speaking of Bubble Bobble, Wani Wani World is a decent JP only game in the same vein which is also 2-player. Kinda slow paced though, at least initially.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:38 am »
Ultimate Qix - Qix with the ability to fight back. I think it appears on the PC Enigne as Volfied.
Volfied has many ports; it was actually an arcade game first.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

sashadarko

• View Profile
    • Sasha Darko's Official Website
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:43 am »
Dyna Brothers 2.

Most people never heard about it since it's a rare Japanese exclusive, but it's an amazing and very unique strategy game. Very cute as well. Still don't know any similar games.

Phantom 2040, Dinosaurs for Hire, Scooby Doo, Shadowrun are also my favourites and it's not a full list.
There's A LOT of super hit obscure games which most people didn't play.
Sacred Line: Genesis / Sacred Line Zero:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16780.0.html

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 10:11:41 am »
Seeing a mention of Elemental Master, Similar top down view run 'n guns would be Arcus Odyssey(which has some RPG elements as I understand it), and well, the other 2 I can think of are translations:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1103/ and  http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1223/

I think I'm going to spend some more time with Genesis games. Feels like it's library is way too underrated/unknown for some reason.

Edit: Actually, Arcus Odyssey is more of a top down isometric adventure, with mid range attacks, but still something of an arcade styled game.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:34:19 pm by FallenAngel2387 »