News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?  (Read 43483 times)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 08:40:12 am »
If any of Treasure's were, Light Crusader would most likely be it. Aside from Alien Soldier for those of us in the U.S. region.

Actually, I do wonder how their games did in general. I know Dynamite Headdy got some good magazine coverage and stuff, but I don't know how well their games usually got noticed back then, as opposed to looking at them in hindsight now.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 01:57:09 pm »
Remember, even Gunstar Heroes didn't sell all that well.  It's not obscure anymore, but it was back in the day, I suppose.  Light Crusader definitely counts.  I actually played through the entirety of Treasure's Genesis catalog for some articles not too long ago.  McDonald's Treasure Land is pretty obscure, but it's not as good as its spiritual successor, Dynamite Headdy (seriously, I think they may be using the same engine), and by the same token, Yu Yu Hakusho is interesting as basically a proto-Guardian Heroes.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »
Arrow Flash. :) Killer soundtrack.
Yamero~~!

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 11:02:33 am »
I don't know if there really are 200 here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxizz-HfxJs

The quality wasn't all that great when I watched it, some may be SCD or 32X(or they could all be Genesis, I don't know), or unlicensed (as a Pikachu platformer later on proves this video contains some), but I'm curious about some of these.

Anyone know what the games at roughly 3:30(Platformer evidently about rescuing construction workers), 5:06(May just be a regular racing game, but looks similar to Mario Kart), 5:20(Very Zombies Ate my Neighbors style game with a chinese look to it, but possibly better than ZAMN came out for the Genesis), and 10:17(action platformer) are? I'd wager 1-3 of them may be unlicensed.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »
3.30 Sink or Swim if you are on the PC but it was "S.S. Lucifer: Man Overboard!" on the megadrive apparently. Will have to have a look at that one.
5.06 Quad Challenge/Megatrax perhaps.

10.17 = Mulan and yeah a bootleg/unlicensed.
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Mulan

I am very curious to find out what the other one is though.

Despite the megadrive/genesis being the thing that I had, that saw me get into this emulation/hacking thing (got to love genecyst) and being something I frequently go back to there seems to be a lot more I need to have a look at.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »
I don't know what it is but the ZAMN clone probably is a bootleg game as well.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2013, 02:57:33 pm »
^edit: Figured it out, Chinese bootleg, Super Magican.

Thanks for the other info, FAST6191. The Genesis has a lot that went overlooked, I just checked a few out now.

Flicky:
The blue bird you might have seen in Sonic. This is just oldschool arcade gameplay. You take Flicky, grab hold of yellow birds, and try to get them to the exit, while avoiding tigers. The tigers can also be fought off if you grab hold of an object, of which throwing takes priority over flying. The more birds you get to the exit at once, the more points you get. It's a single screen platformer, but the screen scrolls into itself, which gives the illusion of depth, which is a pretty cool effect.

Tinhead:
I saw it mentioned in the comments section of another Youtube video, so I thought I'd check it out. By Microprose of Europe(but still saw a U.S. release). This one's a platformer. A selects the angle of your projectile, B jumps, and C shoots the projectile. He has a battery count for life, which can be brought up to 5. The weapon also has a count that can go up to 5, I'm not sure how it affects anything, if it increases range, or attack power, or what. The battery thing is like Sonic with rings, in that as long as you have 1 power, you can take an extra hit, at full power 6 before you die, so he can get pretty durable. Passwords to resume your progress. The objective is to reach the portal at the end of the stage.

Onslaught:
It's really hard to peg this. An action game anyway, I just need a better understanding of the objectives. It almost feels like a single player capture the flag. You start off with a mace, and as you collect shields and scrolls, which happens frequently, your attacks change. You get projectiles or spells. Enemies keep coming at you, and it seems like, if you find their flag, and take it back halfway toward where you started, you move on. There are also these weird shoot 'em up sections where you're a hand that can move along the edge of the screen, but I haven't beaten one. Doesn't seem to matter if you do or not, or it makes you retry the stage before until you do, either way it's not a game over. It's pretty fun from what I can get out of it, but it needs to be understood better.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:06:33 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2013, 03:27:24 pm »
Never liked Flicky. First played it in 2001, hated it since.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »
I like it, but then I also like games of the 70's/early 80's as well.

Having tryed out the non-bootlegs mentioned before:

Quad Challenge - I wasn't impressed by it, but it didn't seem terrible either.

S.S. Lucifer: Man Overboard! - This, on the other hand, I liked a lot. It's like an early inspiration for Exit. For the record it's actually on the SNES, as Sink or Swim, as well.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:02:14 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2013, 08:21:37 pm »
Onslaught:
It's really hard to peg this. An action game anyway, I just need a better understanding of the objectives. It almost feels like a single player capture the flag. [...] It's pretty fun from what I can get out of it, but it needs to be understood better.

Don't get your hopes up. There's nothing to Onslaught, in the most literal sense; it's sort of pretty and appealing at first, but what you see in those first 15 minutes of play is basically the whole thing. It's a horribly shallow, repetitive game.

Most of the games that came to mind have already been mentioned, like Jewel Master, Super Hydlide, Chiki Chiki Boys, Light Crusader, King's Bounty, and especially Gain Ground which is in my top 5 games on the system. BTW the item drops in Jewel Master are definitely not random, they happen at specific points in the stage and are crucial to making progress.

OTOH I never understood what people saw in Sword of Vermilion or Exile. Sword of Vermilion has a pretty good soundtrack but empty, repetitive, buggy gameplay IMHO, and I hated Exile which seemed like a total fakejob to me. I leveled my character up to max in that game by taping down the turbo button and having him kill an endless stream of autospawning bats...while I watched tennis instead.  ;D

Goofy's Hysterical History Tour is a shame, the basic concept is excellent but the gameplay dynamics and stage design are very flawed. There are some strange decisions, like making Hard shorter than Normal mode for some reason. Absolute was such a weird publisher, with lots of good ideas but very shaky execution.

Speaking of publishers: despite my distaste for Exile, almost everything Renovation put out is worthwhile, and many of their games are excellent. In addition to the aforementioned Gain Ground, there's Granada, Sol-Deace/Sol-Feace, El Viento, Arrow Flash, and a bunch of others.

A few more recommendations: Trampoline Terror, Wardner, and -- for the very patient gamer -- Warrior of Rome II, a RTS game with some interesting twists.  Beware the first Warrior of Rome game, however, which is wretched.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »
Speaking of publishers: despite my distaste for Exile, almost everything Renovation put out is worthwhile, and many of their games are excellent. In addition to the aforementioned Gain Ground, there's Granada, Sol-Deace/Sol-Feace, El Viento, Arrow Flash, and a bunch of others.

I loved Renovation's games as well, particularly Valis. I'm not ashamed at all to say that that game made me cry like a baby (poor Reiko  :'(). I'm aware that there was a certain element of cheesecake to it, but when I played it, I was playing for the story, which is quite cool.

If I ever get my hands on the person who made the decision to sell the license for Valis to the people it went to, I'll swear off pacifism for the occasion. I like looking at the female form just as much as the next man, but that stuff is just abominable in my book.
Yamero~~!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
Goofy's Hysterical History Tour is a shame, the basic concept is excellent but the gameplay dynamics and stage design are very flawed. There are some strange decisions, like making Hard shorter than Normal mode for some reason. Absolute was such a weird publisher, with lots of good ideas but very shaky execution.

Goofy is said to have been the game that killed them, because apparently there was an error somewhere and they had way too many copies printed. Thus they couldn't afford to release the infamous Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2013, 10:30:55 pm »
Goofy is said to have been the game that killed them, because apparently there was an error somewhere and they had way too many copies printed. Thus they couldn't afford to release the infamous Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors.

Excuses excuses.
Yamero~~!

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 08:30:57 am »
Vails kinda reminds me a mixture of the old castlevania & Megaman in style of gameplay :laugh: did anyone had that sorta feeling when playing her series?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2013, 12:57:38 pm »
Rolling Thunder 2
Mystic Defender is not well known, and still, excellent.

A particular case : Phantasy Star III. The game can't be said obscure, but it's considered a bad game, and it didn't have much success.

And indeed, it's flawed in almost any aspect. Though, something happens with this game...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »
Vails kinda reminds me a mixture of the old castlevania & Megaman in style of gameplay :laugh: did anyone had that sorta feeling when playing her series?

The one thing I remember is the cutscenes. You have to press Start to continue a conversation and hold Start to skip a cutscene.
The three other buttons on the controller weren't good enough? :P

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
The one thing I remember is the cutscenes. You have to press Start to continue a conversation and hold Start to skip a cutscene.
The three other buttons on the controller weren't good enough? :P
You really had to sit there & watch the cutscenes if you didn't know about the "hold start to skip scenes" method? lol not exactly what i mean't but cool to hear your stories about it :D

Btw have you played or heard of this for the Sega Mega Drive called "Ninja Burai Densetsu" aka (The Last Ninja)? here's a gameplay video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKTwG1UumE

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2013, 04:45:14 pm »
Was it ever translated ? Seems interesting...

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »
Nope.

My question would be how many strategy games does this console have?

Makes up for the lack of RPG's, well that combined with the sandbox types. Actually, how well known are western style RPG's of the 3rd and 4th generations in general?

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2013, 05:15:09 pm »
Depends on how you define WRPG. As in the third-person isometric/overhead style with an open world? Or first-person dungeon crawler style? Because Ultima covers one, and dungeon crawlers (wizardry, might and magic) kind of cover the other. There also was a The Last Ninja for the commodore 64 whether they're related I have no clue.

In terms of popularity, they're not as popular as they are today, but they got a lot of sequels, and were played by a great many people. I imagine they had the same kind of appeal as Eastern RPGs do today.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."