News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?  (Read 43653 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 11:00:48 am »
I think I'm going to spend some more time with Genesis games. Feels like it's a library that is way too underrated/unknown for some reason.

I am curious now as to what the split is between the North American and European split is for this sentiment (and maybe further afield -- I am told Brazil has a fair megadrive following to this day). Everything I have since heard says that the Megadrive/genesis was at best the also ran of the 16 bit era if you are speaking to someone from North America. In Europe it was level pegging or possibly even beat out the SNES in places, certainly there was no "you picked the wrong console" type thing going on like there might have been in the PS1/N64 era (doubly so if you picked a Saturn.
Not sure about Japan or Australia, or at least enough to make a proper generalisation, but it did not seem to do too badly in Japan either.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 11:21:25 am »
In Europe it was level pegging or possibly even beat out the SNES in places

Who told you that? The Megadrive didn't have half the market presence and shelf space of the SNES. Pretty much every single child I knew growing up had a SNES, one had a Mega Drive (additionally to the SNES). Yes, I know anectodes aren't evidence, but I've never heard anything contrary to that either. And it got worse after the 16 bit era, I didn't even know there was a console called "Saturn" until I heard about it a decade after it was released through emulation.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 01:15:23 pm »
I had a Genesis over the SNES, and I really don't regret it. As I said earlier though, I don't want to continue that argument. I just want to understand the Genesis' games better, or rather what it has for games. Admittedly partly because I've seen the continuation of that argument...

Well, I just checked out "Blades of Vengeance." Seems pretty cool. Closest game I could probably compare it with might be Apogee's Realms of Chaos, or Legendary Axe on the TG16/PCE. You have your choice of characters between a female sword wielder, male axe wielder and old man wizard, who I think is the best choice, and I usually go for the hard hitting characters. He doesn't have the attack power, but he makes up for it in range(plus there's a power-up that can fix that). Only thing is it's hard(3 lives is all you get for the entire game), and bosses seem to take massive damage. Though you do have sub-items to try to help even the playing field(accessed with A, after pressing start and picking the sub-item with up/down).

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 01:33:49 pm »
Gain Ground on the Sega Genesis is very very underrated top down shooter with loads of fun, great challenge & lasting replay value!

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »
I am curious now as to what the split is between the North American and European split is for this sentiment (and maybe further afield -- I am told Brazil has a fair megadrive following to this day). Everything I have since heard says that the Megadrive/genesis was at best the also ran of the 16 bit era if you are speaking to someone from North America. In Europe it was level pegging or possibly even beat out the SNES in places, certainly there was no "you picked the wrong console" type thing going on like there might have been in the PS1/N64 era (doubly so if you picked a Saturn.
Not sure about Japan or Australia, or at least enough to make a proper generalisation, but it did not seem to do too badly in Japan either.

Some rough sales figures for up to 1994 to provide some perspective:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Pricey/SEGAtastic/mdsalesuntilendof1994sc.jpg

The numbers speak for themselves I think.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 02:14:58 pm »
In light of that link I might have to amend my statement from Europe to the UK, also I did not realise it was like that in Japan. Must be kind of like the 360 is in Japan today then (quite a few games, many exclusives too and I am not sure why, unless it was just similarity to arcades).

I will also have to figure out where the Amiga sits in all this.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 09:59:29 pm »
South America seems to be where the Genesis was most prominent (in terms of being the system of choice), owing to the fact that the Master System was popular. I assume it's a similar situation in Western/Mid-Eastern Europe, as the Master System was also popular there, although both of those are in relative terms compared to the numbers in the U.S.

As for the Amiga, I'd check Europe numbers, particularly England, and Eastern Europe.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:07:02 pm by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 10:20:49 am »
Interesting that you brought up the Amiga, I get a PC vibe from some Genesis games, and I know some were ported from the Amiga.

A few I went through last night:

As PresidentLeever brought up in the first post on the 2nd page: Alisia Dragoon:
It's interesting, even though this was by Game Arts, you could almost see the wheels turning for Panzer Dragoon. The main character shoots lightning from her hands that hits everything near the first target that it hits. It also only gives you one chance for the entire game... You can switch between dragons, and whatever else some of them are, that assist you, with A, but I think I found the last one to be the best of the 4.

Jewel Master:
Good concept, but probably could have been executed better. In fact it probably was in, I forget if it's Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance, the one where you mix and match cards for different effects. The rings even seem to be random drops from enemies(though I only came across one in my playthrough, not that I got terribly far), and this is more an arcade style game. Would be interesting to see what the rings all are, and how they can match up with each other(only 2 per hand).

Crue Ball:
Well, is it even possible to screw up pinball? Of course if you like chip tunes and Motley Crue's music, I guess that would be an extra bonus for you, but as a pinball game it's also very involved. It becomes more of a stage based game, in which you have to find the exit for the pinball table, which takes quite a bit, and you have to do it all with one ball(the game gives you 4). The downside is how it plays with the usual emulation control conventions, since Left and C move the flippers.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 11:02:43 am »
As for the Amiga, I'd check Europe numbers, particularly England, and Eastern Europe.
I would add Germany and most of the Scandinavian countries too as well as the UK.  As far as the UK was concerned there was a long tail off from
Commodores bankrupcy in 1994 till about 96 that can be charted with the rise of the PC.  Put it this way they still had an Amiga mag on sale in newsagents until 2000 when Amiga Format closed so it gets a lot of love here. 

Megadrive and SNES was neck and neck, it wasn't untill the PS1 / Saturn era that both declined.

Sensible world of Soccer

An excellent Amiga game that had both a decent Megadrive port as well, and still holds up well today. 
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:05 am »
As PresidentLeever brought up in the first post on the 2nd page: Alisia Dragoon:
It's interesting, even though this was by Game Arts, you could almost see the wheels turning for Panzer Dragoon. The main character shoots lightning from her hands that hits everything near the first target that it hits. It also only gives you one chance for the entire game... You can switch between dragons, and whatever else some of them are, that assist you, with A, but I think I found the last one to be the best of the 4.

Good choice. If you liked this, there's also Mystic Defender for MD which has a similar pacing to it with its charge up weapons, as well as a spiritual sequel of sorts in the even more obscure Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru for the Saturn.

The dragons are good vs. different bosses, kinda like in Mega Man but not as extreme.

Edit: One of the reasons why MD gives off PC (DOS) vibes is because the FM chip in it is similar to Adlib sound cards.

Streets of Rage intro theme in Adlib:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF7UrnkOEvM
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »
Somewhat off topic but if we are talking about sound cards I really should link http://macgateway.com/featured-articles/sound-card-history/

On the amiga though I was approaching it from something like http://retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons%20Main.html (even if most of my main "it was better there" stuff is because it had a mouse, a joystick and a keyboard which really did help a lot of things) though I suppose I would also have to add the PCE/TG16 into that (by far the superior version of bomberman at the time for me and probably to this day in some ways).

As for sensible soccer.... I think it holds the title of "only football game I can tolerate".

As I probably should mention another Megadrive game consider giving the megadrive version of Street Racer a go. Most people usually go right for the SNES version but I reckon the megadrive one has some merit.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 07:30:15 pm »
Great article there! Gabriel Knight sounds delicious in either version. Didn't know about Descent II Adlib, pretty cool.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:05 pm »
It also only gives you one chance for the entire game...
I recall there are extra lives, but they're hidden.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 09:01:02 am »
Good choice. If you liked this, there's also Mystic Defender for MD which has a similar pacing to it with its charge up weapons, as well as a spiritual sequel of sorts in the even more obscure Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru for the Saturn.

Gave it a shot last night. Not bad. I believe it's predecessor was Spellcaster for the Sega Master System (which probably needs even more exploring than the Genesis).

I recall there are extra lives, but they're hidden.

Good to know. The only thing is; and I really hate to say this, considering these are the only games I play anymore; I'm not sure if I have the persistence to stick with a game, and inch forward a little at a time until I beat it, like I did when I was younger.

Here's one no one seems to notice:
King's Bounty: This literally is a PC game on the Genesis, and this release predates the very similar Heroes of Might and Magic by 4 years.

It's hard to nail what exactly the genre of this is too. It's sandbox-ish, the goal being to take out criminals holed up in castles all around the land, in whatever order you might find them, but it never really feels like an RPG, which some might classify it as. There's a strategy element to the battles, which are encountered as you see a representation of the enemies on the map. The main thing is the unit types you can recruit. They're all over the place(with tons of different types), and cost money to recruit, but you get money every day, or as you beat enemies anyway. You can only recruit 5 types at a time, since the battles are 5 on 5(if both sides even have 5). You have a specific number of "days" to finish the game. The downside is that if you want to stop playing, and resume later, it gives you a long password. Still it's very fun/engaging for what it is, and strategy usually isn't my kind of thing.

VoltageControl

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2013, 02:36:04 am »
Mazin Saga

Troubleshooter

Monster World IV

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2013, 03:20:20 pm »
Well, if you like Trouble Shooter: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1075/ Not that I know either well.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2013, 07:23:41 pm »
The Genesis port of Capcom's fighter/wrestling game hybrid, Saturday Night Slam Masters, is the only version enjoyable in 1-player mode because its AI isn't completely omniscient.

I am also one of the very few people who like Super Hydlide, which is really a port of Hydlide 3. I had the game for years and thought I would never, ever be able to play such (apparent) dreck; those tiny 8-bit-style sprites and weird colors, the rough movement, all those punitive PC RPG-style features (you have to keep food or you eventually starve, you have to sleep or you become too tired to fight and eventually die, you have to take maximum weight into account or you'll become unable to move around, etc.)
 One day I just decided to give it a serious chance and those restrictions ended up making the game more involving. It has a sense of sincerity and wonder as you explore and discover new lands and areas that you don't find in too many games. Also, the theme song is one the great underrated theme songs in video game history.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 08:55:51 am »
Couldn't get into Super Hydlide, but I do love the soundtrack.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 10:48:37 pm »
Seconded Suggestions:

My answer is Quackshot, I still think it's one of the coolest sidescrolling shooters of all time.

Crusader of Centy was the Gensis' answer to A Link to the Past, and it's an awesome game.

Alisia Dragoon
Alien Soldier
Fire Shark
Langrisser II
Twinkle Tale
Monster World IV
Panorama Cotton
Ranger X

MCD:
Robo Aleste
Popful Mail

The Adventurs of Batman and Robin, specifically because of the fast pace and Jespers Kyd soundtrack

Original Suggestions:

Rocket Knight Adventures
Sparkster
Musha Aleste
Kid Chameleon
Herzog Zwei
Comix Zone
Story of Thor
Thunder Force II
Thunder Force III
Thunder Force IV
Landstalker
Bare Knuckle I
Bare Knuckle II
Bare Knuckle III
I Love Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion
The Super Shinobi
The Super Shinobi 2
Pier Solar
Rockman MegaWorld
Vampire Killer
Disney's Aladdin
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:55:46 am by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 02:00:46 am »
I'm not sure how obscure any Treasure games is, but I really enjoyed Light Crusader.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~