News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?  (Read 43651 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:11 pm »
Well, it needed a topic to pair it with... :P

Mine is Robocop Vs. The Terminator. A game on many platforms, and each one was a unique game. I've only played the SNES and Genesis ones, and let me tell you, the Genesis one is far superior. The SNES one is, to be blunt, dogshit.

Genesis one is a fairly fast paced run 'n gun style game with a bit more platforming than a lot of them. Very well constructed, great graphics, great music, hidden levels(Some only accessible if you use the Turbocop cheat which grants you faster movement and higher jumping), and you fight a giant T-800 head as the final boss.

Oh, did i mention that you can blow off the ED-209's arm and use it as a weapon? Yeah, you can. Naturally, it's one of the best guns in the games, if not the best(I've never done any major testing).
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Favorite Obscure Genesis Games?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:52 pm »
I enjoy Fatal Labyrinth. Really fun, if fairly simplistic, roguelike.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11:54 pm »
Fuck, I forgot a game.

Mighty Morphing Power Rangers: The Movie. A surprisingly good beat 'em up played straight with no real major surprises. It just has really good execution and a weird optional boss fight where you beat the hell out of Zedd's hand.

Yeah that one i never got even when I watched Power Rangers religiously.

As with Robocop Vs Terminator, it's a different game on each system.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »
Fuck, I forgot a game.

Mighty Morphing Power Rangers: The Movie. A surprisingly good beat 'em up played straight with no real major surprises. It just has really good execution and a weird optional boss fight where you beat the hell out of Zedd's hand.

It's a really awesome game. My answer is Quackshot, I still think it's one of the coolest sidescrolling shooters of all time. It's a very good looking game, and the level designs, and animations are awesome. Crusader of Centy was the Gensis' answer to A Link to the Past, and it's an awesome game.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:59 pm »
My suggestions.
  • Devilish/Bad Omen: Arkanoid clone that's insane and has the soundtrack done by Hitoshi Sakimoto.
  • Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan: Unlicensed beat 'em up that's similar to Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, etc.
  • Haunting Starring Polterguy: In this, you play as a ghost trying to get revenge on the family who killed you by scaring them out of their houses by possessing furniture, paintings, etc.
  • Mamono Hunter Yohko: Neat little platformer based on the anime/manga series. Hard as nails though. May contain minor nudity.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:40:10 pm »
Polterguy is a great puzzle-esce game, but the boss at the end is so WTF and obviously thrown in just to have a boss.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:14:56 pm »
Eternal Champions was always one of my favorites for the Genesis. It has a bit of a cult following these days I believe, especially the sequel for the Sega CD.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:08:09 pm »
Eternal Champions was always one of my favorites for the Genesis. It has a bit of a cult following these days I believe, especially the sequel for the Sega CD.

EC was the game that came with my Genesis, and I played a lot of it over the years. The game had a nigh-unbeatable final boss, and a very cool (for the time, and in my 8 year old mind) cast of characters. I never played the sequel, but it popped up in a few gaming magazines with some of the new cast members (the pharaoh, and amazon). Even using the vampire's super cheap tornado attack I was never able to beat the final boss.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »
I am not sure how obscure I have to go to actually rate as obscure. For the time being I will define it as anything that is not Sonic, Shining series, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Ecco, Castle of Illusion, Aladdin (or basically all Disney derived games*), Toejam and Earl or Earthworm Jim and similar such games.

*I am sure most reading this thread would know anyway but Disney of the 16 bit era was not the running joke is has been since that era ended.

Crusader of the Centy/Soleil. At points it seems like a deconstruction on the whole action RPG thing (certainly things that others make fun of made their way into the game as things the game itself makes fun of -- perhaps a bit spoilery but you get to pay for the cut grass). Also as I had not quite discovered Final Fantasy 5 at this point it was main option for a game that mixed jobs.

Super Airwolf/CrossFire. For most it is a largely forgettable shmup but I really do like the three levels idea (you start at high level against air enemies, lower levels against ground troops and finally on foot, before maybe doing an exist mission against air again) and it remains one of my favourites on the megadrive/genesis.

The lotus games. Reasonable driving (though it probably would not hold up today), not bad music and procedural generation. Though I had spent some time playing elite by this point in life I still do like procedural generation.

Micro Machines. I see most of them did not appear in North America, a pity as they were nice and the extra controller ports on the gamepak were a novelty.

Ultimate Qix. Probably not obscure but one of the definitive versions of Volfied/Qix for me.

Though many probably played it elsewhere the original worms on the megadrive is second only to bomberman in terms of things that tested friendships.

A lot of the games that were not those from the list I opened with tended to appear in superior form on the amiga or DOS and the lines only get more blurred as the years drag on here so I would have to say consider seeing if that happened for your game of choice here. I am also starting to consider putting things that I imagine most already know of (James Pond and such) or doing something like "most shmups are worth a look" so I will leave it there for now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:30:41 am by FAST6191 »

never-obsolete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:36 pm »
General Chaos: Fun mix of action and strategy, especially with two players.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:16:56 pm »
I say Sword of Vermilion, very underrated game in the Genesis library & a few of the funniest & most nostalgic feeling when playing it with some soothing music melodies inside each town or dungeon. You guys should give it a try some time! :thumbsup:

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:16:53 am »
There's a game, sidescrolling action RPG, with a Middle Eastern feel, it has a one word title, and I believe it's part of a trilogy. I can't remember the name of it. It has fairy poor graphics (I assume it's a redo of a Master System game, or built on a base of its predecessors) but it was a fairly fun game. It plays a bit like the more modern handheld Castlevanias, in terms of action-rpgs.

Also the Home Alone game for the Genesis (not the abhorrent SNES one) but the one where you ride around on your sled and booby trap the houses before the villains break in is a really awesome game. It had a very cool concept, and the weapon and trap design was very cool for an early Genesis game.

Edit: Weaponlord, one of the most underrated (sorry Spoony) fighting games of all time. The game had an extremely in depth battle system, but at a time when fighting game popularity was surging it was hurt by not being a SFII clone. The game featured fatalities, but they were implemented into gameplay (if you killed your opponent then they were not fought again during the story, and if they killed you, you were not given the option to continue).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:22:41 am by Next gen Cowboy »

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40:12 am »
There's a game, sidescrolling action RPG, with a Middle Eastern feel, it has a one word title, and I believe it's part of a trilogy. I can't remember the name of it. It has fairy poor graphics (I assume it's a redo of a Master System game, or built on a base of its predecessors) but it was a fairly fun game. It plays a bit like the more modern handheld Castlevanias, in terms of action-rpgs.

Could you be referring to Exile?

A couple of my favorites were Biohazard Battle and Tod's Adventures in Slime World.  Biohazard Battle was great because of the unique ships you could play as and the co-op multiplayer (i.e. a game I could play with my brothers without us killing each other).  Slime World was fun for the exploratory aspects as well as the different game modes and the limited pick-ups.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 01:13:30 am »
Exile, and I believe it originated on the MSX.
Most famous for the TurboCD versions and their altered difficulties.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 03:03:49 am »
Thank you gentlemen, I couldn't remember that for the life of me. I'll have to look into the TurboCD versions, and see what the differences are.

Edit: There's an extremely comprehensive article on HG101 if anyone's interested in the game, or the series.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:22:23 am by Next gen Cowboy »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 08:02:40 am »
I enjoy Fatal Labyrinth. Really fun, if fairly simplistic, roguelike.

Typically, I would prefer to say some sort of action-ish title, but I'm going to agree with this. Never got around to Dragon Crystal(Same type of game, but seems to be more outdoors than in a castle) on Sega's 8-bit platforms, anyone know how good that one is?

For the hell of it, I'll also mention:
Ristar -  Sonic style game, except instead of running fast and jumping on things, his arms stretch to grab things, and pull enemies in for him to headbutt.
Chiki Chiki Boys - Arcade port of Mega Twins, very fun. Despite the name(CCB was the Japanese arcade title), it does have a U.S. release.
Skitchin' - Road Rash on skates, with the ability to grab cars(which is what they call skitchin in the first place), a lot more manageable(buying separate pieces of gear, instead of a new motorcyle), and feels even more beat 'em up-ish.
Zoom - Cool little puzzle game.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 08:21:39 am »
Edit: Weaponlord, one of the most underrated (sorry Spoony) fighting games of all time. The game had an extremely in depth battle system, but at a time when fighting game popularity was surging it was hurt by not being a SFII clone. The game featured fatalities, but they were implemented into gameplay (if you killed your opponent then they were not fought again during the story, and if they killed you, you were not given the option to continue).

I think it was more about coming out late in 16-bit systems life time. EGM remarked that if the game came out 2 years earlier it would have been a hit.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:12 am »
Micro Machines. I see most of them did not appear in North America, a pity as they were nice and the extra controller ports on the gamepak were a novelty.

Created by Codemasters, see also the vast amount of Dizzy games for European 8 bit computers, there's a Genesis version of it, but I've never played it.

My favourite Megadrive / Genesis game is Devil Crash pinball which is rather good, nice ball physics and good table layout.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 01:02:41 pm »
I second Eternal Champions.  VERY well done fighting game albeit very hard in single player. 

Also Tazmania for the Genesis was the best version I think. 

Garfield Csught in the Act is also very good and underrated. 

I say Sword of Vermilion, very underrated game in the Genesis library & a few of the funniest & most nostalgic feeling when playing it with some soothing music melodies inside each town or dungeon. You guys should give it a try some time! :thumbsup:

Sword of Vermillion just happeneds to be my favorite Genesis game.  :)  I cannot get enough of it. 

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »
Typically, I would prefer to say some sort of action-ish title, but I'm going to agree with this. Never got around to Dragon Crystal(Same type of game, but seems to be more outdoors than in a castle) on Sega's 8-bit platforms, anyone know how good that one is?

Same engine, even - not just same type of game! Fatal Labyrinth is a sequel/followup. That said, Dragon Crystal suffers a bit from odd dramatic difficulty spikes in places. Fatal Labyrinth is smoother and, consequently, somewhat easier. But they're basically the same game.

I'll toss Beyond Oasis into the mix here. Loved that one as a kid. Sort of a mashup of a Zelda-ish game with a beatemup combat engine.