News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 195878 times)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 08:38:02 am »
I'd suggest you not to use that font, which comes from the PC version and is not suitable at all for the resolution of the PSX menu (364x240). The PC version uses 320x240 for those screens, which is why they used a thinner font: to compensate the difference in screen width.
Uh oh, I didn't know it was the PC version they retranslated. I tested it here in fullscreen with ePSXe and watched the menu from a certain distance (my monitor is actually a 26-inch digital TV), and yeah, it does make things harder to read. I'm glad I have lots of backups (not only for the CD image, but the CD files too). But what will I do about the font problem?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:51:48 am by Thisguyaresick2 »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:28 am »
You need one that fits in there without looking out of place, which is why I initially suggested you to drop the filler pixels between glyphs. I'd send you my WINDOW.BIN, but since it's calibrated from my custom International build it wouldn't work as expected.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 08:56:48 am »
You need one that fits in there without looking out of place, which is why I initially suggested you to drop the filler pixels between glyphs. I'd send you my WINDOW.BIN, but since it's calibrated from my custom International build it wouldn't work as expected.
What about the FF8/FF9 fonts? Are they smaller than FF7's? I can't remember well.

September 08, 2013, 04:34:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just learned how to decompress/compress files with gzip compression looking at the tutorials that xuliko gave me. I also learned how to extract the graphics/font from WINDOW.BIN, but I'm having two problems:
1) Whenever I try to convert the font file from TIM to BMP, the TIM Viewer crashes (my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, maybe that's the reason).
2) I haven't found a good program that would allow me to edit those BMP files and keep the file size at the same time.

Here are the graphics: I will remove those triangles once I figure out which program to use.

EDIT: I tried using Paint, but the file looks kinda different. I'm not sure if that's okay.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:39:37 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 03:31:01 pm »
About how edits TIM without change the filesize.

1- Convert Tim to bmp,
2- make a copy of the bmp (keep the original bmp)
3- open and edit the BMP with anyone program, and save
4-  open original and edited bmps with Paint, select all in the edited bmp and copy,
and paste them in the original,

and you will have the BMP with the original filesize, colours and the modified graphics

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 08:52:48 pm »
I followed these steps, and...this is what I got:

It has the exact size of the original file, but it looks different. As for the font, I could only edit it with Photoshop (using the TIM plugin), but I don't know which settings I should choose when saving (4-bit CLUT, 8-bit CLUT, Black -> Transparent, Except black -> Translucent).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:11:57 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2013, 04:32:08 pm »
if some graphic changes the problem is the program that you used for
edit the image, I use micrografx photo magic, and old school image editor
that are very good for game edits

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:04 pm »
I edited both graphics and fonts of the WINDOW.BIN using Tile Molester (of course, I had to extract the .TIM files with Hack7).
I finally removed those red/green triangles and tested with ePSXe. Look:

I pressed the Select button and only the HERE icon appears.
However... THIS also happened.

The text got messed up.
That's because I didn't adjust the text width properly.

September 13, 2013, 04:06:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The font problem became my nightmare now. It's been 3 days I've been trying to edit the font width, and no matter how I change it, it always gets messed up in the game! What am I doing wrong?! :banghead:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:08:47 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 02:46:01 am »
The width table works with nibbles. Each first half-byte represents the character's width, while the second half sets the blank pixels to be put before the next character.

It's very easy to fix the font width table, trust me.
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy
1st italian ROM translation group
http://www.sadnescity.it *********************** "Do you want to leave to your own eyes Only dreams that won't awaken you?" "Yes, Your Honour, but I want greater ones."

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »
Okay, the font problem is finally solved! I've already tested it on ePSXe, and it doesn't get messed up anymore! And even though the font is a little bit smaller, it's still readable! I just need to do a few changes here and there, then I'll send you guys some screenshots.

Oh, by the way, the font I used was inside the Gemini's package that I downloaded. There's no problem if I use it, is there?
The width table works with nibbles. Each first half-byte represents the character's width, while the second half sets the blank pixels to be put before the next character.
Thanks for the info, that helped me a lot. Yeah, it was easy. While I was adjusting the font today, I just realized I was messing up things myself. I didn't know what I was doing. :)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 08:26:13 am »
Oh, by the way, the font I used was inside the Gemini's package that I downloaded. There's no problem if I use it, is there?
No problem, the package is publicly available to be of any use to the community. :beer:
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 02:48:57 pm »
Okay guys, here are some of the latest menu screenshots with the new font:

The Ama no Murakumo's name fits perfectly. And the Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki will have to be renamed as simply "Mutsunokami", because it doesn't fit in the Item submenu.
Oh yeah, this "Mystère" thing was actually the "Mystile" (ミスティール, Misutiru), and the "Agincourt" was actually the "Edincoat" (エジンコート, Ejinkoto). I did some simple Google Search in Japanese to find out wtf those names were, and this is what I found:
(Mystère)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9F%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB_%28%E8%88%AA%E7%A9%BA%E6%A9%9F%29
(Agincourt)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A8%E3%82%B8%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B3%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88_%28%E6%88%A6%E8%89%A6%29

There are many possible references for the French word "Mystère", but I don't know which one is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst%C3%A8re
The same goes to "Agincourt" and the "Seydlitz", previously known as "Ziedrich" (ザイドリッツ, Zaidorittsu)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agincourt

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B6%E3%82%A4%E3%83%89%E3%83%AA%E3%83%83%E3%83%84_%28%E5%B7%A1%E6%B4%8B%E6%88%A6%E8%89%A6%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seydlitz

No problem, the package is publicly available to be of any use to the community. :beer:
Okay. Thank you, sir. Umm, just one more question. Would you mind if I use your Spirit bug fix patch for my project, sir?

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:22 pm »
lookin' good

I also like that you're updating the spell names. However, Quara and Quaga caught my eye as strange. After a bit of research, I discovered that other games in the FF7 Compilation have those (mainly Before Crisis). They use Quara and Quaga in that game; they also appear in Four Heroes of Light, though it seems with that Quara is now officially Quakra, while Quaga remains as is. It's also worth noting that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 called Quara "Quakara" and I've also seen it as "Quakera"

I didn't realize how many names they had for the Quake2 spell these days until I just did all this research. And then there's Stone/Stonera/Stonega which appear to be similar to the Quake family but rebranded.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:19:42 pm by Mirby »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 04:51:03 pm »
I also like that you're updating the spell names. However, Quara and Quaga caught my eye as strange. After a bit of research, I discovered that other games in the FF7 Compilation have those (mainly Before Crisis). They use Quara and Quaga in that game; they also appear in Four Heroes of Light, though it seems with that Quara is now officially Quakra, while Quaga remains as is. It's also worth noting that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 called Quara "Quakara" and I've also seen it as "Quakera"

I didn't realize how many names they had for the Quake2 spell these days until I just did all this research. And then there's Stone/Stonera/Stonega which appear to be similar to the Quake family but rebranded.
Yeah, it kinda seems strange because we're not used to these names, but in FF7, the Quara and Quaga spells are "Kueira" (クエイラ) and "Kueiga" (クエイガ), respectively, in Japanese. The same naming process goes for the Bio family, so it was "Biora" (バイオラ, Baiora) and "Bioga"(バイオガ, Baioga). And, "Firaga" was actually meant to be "Figa" (ファイガ, Faiga), but I find it even weirder than the other names, so I sticked to Square's naming for this case. Here's a full chart of the magic spells, so you guys could get used to:
Code: [Select]
Fire -> same name (ファイア, Faia)
Fire2 -> Fira (ファイラ, Faira)
Fire3 -> Firaga (ファイガ, Faiga)
Ice -> Blizzard (ブリザド, Burizado)
Ice2 -> Blizzara (ブリザラ, Burizara)
Ice3 -> Blizzaga (ブリザガ, Burizaga)
Bolt -> Thunder (サンダー, Sanda)
Bolt2 -> Thundara (サンダラ, Sandara)
Bolt3 -> Thundaga (サンダガ, Sandaga)
Cure -> same name (ケアル, Kearu)
Cure2 -> Cura (ケアルラ, Kearura)
Regen -> same name (リジェネ, Rijene)
Cure3 -> Curaga (ケアルガ, Kearuga)
Bio -> same name (バイオ, Baio)
Bio2 -> Biora (バイオラ, Baiora)
Bio3 -> Bioga (バイオガ, Baioga)
Quake -> same name (クエイク, Kueiku)
Quake2 -> Quara (クエイラ, Kueira)
Quake3 -> Quaga (クエイガ, Kueiga)
Poisona -> same name (ポイゾナ, Poizona)
Esuna -> same name (エスナ, Esuna)
Resist -> same name (レジスト, Rejisuto)
Life -> Raise (レイズ, Reizu)
Life2 -> Arise (アレイズ, Areizu)
Sleepel -> Sleep (スリプル, Suripuru)
Silence -> same name (サイレス, Sairesu)
Mini -> same name (ミニマム, Minimamu)
Toad -> same name (トード, Todo)
Confu -> Confuse (コンフュ, Konfyu)
Berserk -> same name (バーサク, Basaku)
Haste -> same name (ヘイスト, Heisuto)
Slow -> same name (スロウ, Surou)
Stop -> same name (ストップ, Sutoppu)
Demi -> Gravity (グラビデ, Gurabide)
Demi2 -> Gravira (グラビラ, Gurabira)
Demi3 -> Graviga (グラビガ, Gurabiga)
DeBarrier -> same name (デバリア, Debaria)
DeSpell -> Dispel (デスペル, Desuperu)
Death -> same name (デス, Desu)
Barrier -> same name (バリア, Baria)
MBarrier -> MaBarrier (マバリア, Mabaria)
Reflect -> same name (リフレク, Rifureku)
Wall -> same name (ウォール, Woru)
Escape -> same name (エスケプ, Esukepu)
Remove -> Banish (デジョン, Dejon)
Comet -> same name (コメット, Kometto)
Comet2 -> Cometeo (コメテオ, Kometeo)
Full Cure -> Full-cure (フルケア, Furu Kea)
Freeze -> same name (フリーズ, Furizu)
Tornado -> same name (トルネド, Torunedo)
Break -> same name (ブレイク, Bureiku)
Flare -> same name (フレア, Furea)
Shield -> same name (シールド, Shirudo)
Ultima -> same name (アルテマ, Arutema)
I noticed that the Dejon spell was renamed as "Banish" in FF6 Advance by Tom Slattery, so I used this name too. And I believe the names Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, etc, were used since FF1 in Japan, but the american translators always gave different names due to space constraints (Lit1, Lit2,..., then Bolt, Bolt2, Bolt3...). And I guess FF7 was the only game in the franchise that didn't have Protect and Shell, but Barrier and MaBarrier. And the same Confu (Konfyu) spell was translated as "Confuse" in the subsequent games (FF8, FF9...).

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:19 pm »

I'd leave this one as it was in the English version. As 魔(マ, "ma") is short for "magic" in Japanese and has no actual meaning in English. If someone saw it they might be left wondering what "ma" is. Something like "M.Barrier" would be fine.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 08:20:47 pm »

I'd leave this one as it was in the English version. As 魔(マ, "ma") is short for "magic" in Japanese and has no actual meaning in English. If someone saw it they might be left wondering what "ma" is. Something like "M.Barrier" would be fine.

~DS
Hm. You're probably right. But I prefer to avoid abbreviations as much as possible. And... we have DeBarrier, right? "De" is short for "destroy", right?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 08:41:41 pm »
Hm. You're probably right. But I prefer to avoid abbreviations as much as possible. And... we have DeBarrier, right? "De" is short for "destroy", right?
No. De-Barrier just means to take away a barrier. Much like "de-bone" means to take the bones out of something. Perfectly fine in English.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 08:55:18 pm »
No. De-Barrier just means to take away a barrier. Much like "de-bone" means to take the bones out of something. Perfectly fine in English.

~DS
Ok. Thanks for the tip. But right now I'm having problems with some item/spell descriptions as well as the battle messages in the KERNEL.BIN. I couldn't think of better sentences. Here are some examples:
"{Target} made a useless imitation."
"{REDBOX} Fail to Union."
"{Target}{Attack}'s skill power is used up."

I guess this first one is related to the "Mime" command if you mimic an enemy attack, I don't know. The second one is probably related to summoning.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »
"{Target} failed to mimic properly."

or maybe

"{Target}'s imitation was useless."

Something like that. And I really want to say that the last one is when an enemy tries to cast a spell but lacks enough MP, but I'm not sure. It sounds like that's what is said to me though, or so my memories claim.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 06:13:37 am »
Yes, the last line is the message that comes up when an enemy doesn't have enough MP to use a skill.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:38 am »
Pretty sure it's Ame no Murakumo (the 天 character can be read as "Ama" too, but that's also how you say "bitch"):

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ame_no_Murakumo

Also, from the etimology, maybe leaving the name as simply Yoshiyuki is better, but that's a matter of tastes, I guess:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mutsunokami

Great work, by the way, sorry for the nitpicking. Keep it up! :thumbsup: