News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 195852 times)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 07:34:07 am »
No good, Gemini. It didn't fit. The last "o" of the "Amano Murakumo" gets swallowed. :(

Try dropping those blank pixels between character glyphs, they are rather useless.

As for the swearing, the little I remember about FF7 is that only Cid swears like a mothertucker. People like Barret are just the average rude dudes, using plain form for pretty much everything (yes, you can render this in terms of translation with some light swearing).
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 08:12:51 am »
My only request for this translation is that Cid's line about the goddamn tea remain intact.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 08:17:56 am »
Along with all the insults directed at Sierra.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »
My only request for this translation is that Cid's line about the goddamn tea remain intact.
I will keep it, but... why is Cid giving emphasis to the word "tea" instead of "goddamn"?
Here's the video. Jump to 9:25.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy_s1O175w

NOTE: The video wasn't made by me. It's not a hack, just the original game. I couldn't find the image of that scene on Google Images, so I looked for a video.

September 06, 2013, 01:49:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Try dropping those blank pixels between character glyphs, they are rather useless.
I clearly understand what you're saying, but how do I do that? ASM? Simple hex edit? I don't know a thing about ASM, and I don't know how rearrange pointers either.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:49:27 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 01:53:38 pm »
I will keep it, but... why is Cid giving emphasis to the word "tea" instead of "goddamn"?
I think that when you're getting pissed off, your voice is gradually increasing, and you say the last word in the sentence with all your remaining air, shouting it.

Here's are the lines for comparison.

Japanese:
Code: [Select]
シド
「うるせぇ! ウダウダ言うな!
 客は、イスにすわって
 おとなしくしてろ!」

Official English:
Cid
“Shut up!
 Sit your ass down in that chair
 and drink your goddamn TEA!”

Fan (")re-translation("):
Cid
“Shut up!
 Sit down in those chairs
There has to be a better life.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:43 pm »
Along with all the insults directed at Sierra.
They will be kept too. ;)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 02:03:15 pm »
I clearly understand what you're saying, but how do I do that? ASM? Simple hex edit? I don't know a thing about ASM, and I don't know how rearrange pointers either.
The last binary block inside WINDOW.BIN contains the width table used by the 12x12 font. The US version would need very little assembly and just for special aspects required by a translation, like moving around strings. Only the International version, the one I showed a picture of in my first post, requires huge chunks of assembly adjustments.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:19:56 pm by Gemini »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »
I think that when you're getting pissed off, your voice is gradually increasing, and you say the last word in the sentence with all your remaining air, shouting it.
This is how I left. It's not good enough, is it?
Cid
“Shut up!
Sit your asses down in those chairs
and drink your GODDAMN tea!”

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 02:33:08 pm »
Among other things (the swearing is incidental to the intent of the statement, and that emphasis on the last word thing already mentioned), it’s better English prosodic stress:

Sít yŏur áss dŏwn ín thăt cháir ănd drínk yoŭr góddăm TÉA. (“okay, Shakespeare, gosh:laugh:)
vs.
ănd drínk yoŭr GÓDDÁMN tĕa.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
Among other things (the swearing is incidental to the intent of the statement, and that emphasis on the last word thing already mentioned), it’s better English prosodic stress:

Sít yŏur áss dŏwn ín thăt cháir ănd drínk yoŭr góddăm TÉA. (“okay, Shakespeare, gosh:laugh:)
vs.
ănd drínk yoŭr GÓDDÁMN tĕa.
Ohh, I get it. :)
I thought it was actually like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34DmsMxUlA

Modified. This is a better link.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:46:08 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 02:38:01 pm »
Among other things (the swearing is incidental to the intent of the statement, and that emphasis on the last word thing already mentioned), it’s better English prosodic stress

This is one of the major beefs I have with graphic novels and suchlike. The words they choose to emphasize never make any sense in the context of actual speech.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 04:23:13 pm »
Here's something I just noticed while playing the JAP version. Take a look at the Guard Scorpion of both versions. See any difference?

Official JAP release

Official US release

The question is: why did they change its colors? (I don't know about the other boss models though, I never played the JAP version till the end)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 08:37:01 pm »
Most likely it's just something the art designers decided to touch up on during the localization process.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »

Here's are the lines for comparison.

Japanese:
シド
「うるせぇ! ウダウダ言うな!
 客は、イスにすわって
 おとなしくしてろ!」

Official English:
Cid
“Shut up!
 Sit your ass down in that chair

Fan (")re-translation("):
Cid
“Shut up!
 Sit down in those chairs

Wow. That re-translation is about on par with the J2E FFIV translation (which is to say they kinda do whatever they want as far as "fixing" certain things but mostly follow the original localization).

What that line actually says is "Shut up! Don't be so long-winded. Guests should sit quietly in their chairs!"

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 02:50:17 am »
We all agree on the "Shut up!" part apparently. Then again, it's not like Cid's house holds anything different from the Japanese lines, except for a few reworded ones. The most messed up text group is the part with Hojo explaining what the Sephiroth copies are, IIRC (file TRNAD_52). There are actually a lot more, especially the mind field part. I remember having problems figuring out some parts of the story after playing the English versions, but with both Japanese versions everything was crystal clear. Maybe after all a retranslation or a major fix of the omitted stuff could be interesting for those who can't do Japanese.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 06:16:15 pm »
For years I had severe issues figuring out what the hell the sephy clones were. years.

Even native english speakers have issues with that one, Gemini. FF7 had a poor translation and that's all there is too it.

To thisguyaresick2: I suggest learning some more japanese before taking on a project with as much text as FF7. It's got more text than 99% of SNES games.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »
I'd be more concerned with the hacking aspect. You need a proper VWF in there to get most of the menus working without truncating the translations.

If you ever get that done and working, I'd be willing to translate it. I've been wanting to re-translate FFVII for ages.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 08:45:36 pm »
Here are some of the latest screenshots of the menu:

The boss of the Spanish retranslation project contacted me. He offered to help me. He gave me his WINDOW.BIN to solve the font problem. However, there are some graphics in Spanish in this file. But I will change 'em when I learn how to decompress/compress files with gzip compression. And... those goddamn blank spaces in the equip/Materia submenu are annoying me.

September 07, 2013, 09:27:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
For years I had severe issues figuring out what the hell the sephy clones were. years.
They're not actually clones. The term "clone" was a misnomer. That would imply that they would look like Sephiroth, but they don't. I mean, Red XIII and that guy in that pipe of Sector 5 were given tattoo numbers, so they're one of those "clones". In Japanese, they use the term "セフィロス・コピー" (sefirosu kopi - Sephiroth Copy).

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sephiroth_Clone
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:27:40 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »
The French and Spanish versions were catastrophic, to the point of being meme-worthy. Idioms from the English version would be translated literally word-by-word, or even better, switch languages from French to English in the middle of some sentences. Sometimes the translators go insane and... you get this.

I heard about FF VII re-translations for both French and Spanish.

You'd think they would get better.. they re-released the same shitty translation in 2012, and even better, released Dissidia with only the story dialogue translated but not the menu and battle text actually relevant to the game

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 12:24:08 am »
If you ever get that done and working, I'd be willing to translate it. I've been wanting to re-translate FFVII for ages.
Guess not many noticed this stuff of mine from back in 2009: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8571.msg106599#msg106599

The boss of the Spanish retranslation project contacted me. He offered to help me. He gave me his WINDOW.BIN to solve the font problem. However, there are some graphics in Spanish in this file.
I'd suggest you not to use that font, which comes from the PC version and is not suitable at all for the resolution of the PSX menu (364x240). The PC version uses 320x240 for those screens, which is why they used a thinner font: to compensate the difference in screen width.

And... those goddamn blank spaces in the equip/Materia submenu are annoying me.
You're going to need a few passes of assembly for that.