News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 196128 times)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »
プアゾ is just French for "Poison". As for Elena, Reno, Rude, etc. use their official names. Nomura confirmed them a long time ago with Advent Children. Yes, they are international and consistent, unlike horrors such as "Terra" or "Kefka" which are never used in Japan. As for the Sephiroth incarnations, they are really Rebirth and Sepher.
Ahh, thanks for the answer! Then I'll translate those names as "Poisocute" and "Poison Shower" (SCEA translated this as "Pìazzo Shower" :P).

But there's something that bothers me: what about Barret's name? There are SO many possible names for him. His katakana name is "Baretto", ok. The OEF says "Barett". In the game's CD files, his name is "Ballet". Some really old western magazines say that his name is supposed to be "Bullet". And of course, his name appears as "Barret" in the official release. I'm confused o.O

EDIT: Umm, about the characters' names that appear in Advent Children Complete... Zack's name appears as "Zack", but they STILL pronounce it as "Zakkusu" ("Zax"), not "Zakku". I guess Nomura made these names official simply because of the western fans. :/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:27:56 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 04:53:27 pm »
Nomura didn't keep the western names for the main cast and recurring characters because of the fans, but because those are the correct transliterations he chose. The only special case is Aeris, reverted back to Aerith a few years after the original release. And yes, Zack is really "Zack", despite the weird kana. The real debate should be about secondary characters such as Shera/Sierra, as for those there was never an official confirmation in any way.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:25 pm »
Nomura didn't keep the western names for the main cast and recurring characters because of the fans, but because those are the correct transliterations he chose. The only special case is Aeris, reverted back to Aerith a few years after the original release. And yes, Zack is really "Zack", despite the weird kana. The real debate should be about secondary characters such as Shera/Sierra, as for those there was never an official confirmation in any way.
Then what about Tseng/Zeng? In the movie, his name appears as "Tseng" in the credits; while in Last Order, it appears as "Zeng". What do you think? And what if Nomura chose those names (Zack, Elena, Reno) simply because he liked them?

EDIT: I still think Zack's name was supposed to be "Zax" (Zakkusu). I mean, Enix in Japanese is "Enikkusu" (エニックス), so why is "Zax" wrong? Besides, I've found this as a clue:

http://ff7.ffsky.cn/history.htm

I used Google Translate to fully translate the page (since I can't read kanji), and it says his name was originally "Zax", but was changed later, after the game was translated here in America.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:23:15 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »
Actually, yes it does. しろ is simply a more imperative version of しましょう. So they wrote it that way to fit Cid's abrasive character. And given the fact that he's not directing it at a person in particular, he's saying that "guests should" whatever? He's simply yelling out loud how he thinks guest should act.
You can can translate it that way, but I’m fairly certain 客 is meant as a form of address here. Even so, I think in English, passive-aggression doesn’t become Cid as much as actual aggression does.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2013, 01:14:08 am »
プアゾ is just French for "Poison". As for Elena, Reno, Rude, etc. use their official names. Nomura confirmed them a long time ago with Advent Children. Yes, they are international and consistent, unlike horrors such as "Terra" or "Kefka" which are never used in Japan. As for the Sephiroth incarnations, they are really Rebirth and Sepher.
I thought his "Safer Sephiroth" was supposed to be "Seraph Sephiroth" on account of the wings and the angelic status and all.

Also if memory serves, Terra is Tina in Japan cause they wanted an exotic sounding name for her (Tina apparently being exotic in Japan). When it came time to localize the game, they kept the idea of an exotic name, but since Tina isn't exotic here, they went with the more mystical sounding Terra, a name that suits her Esper heritage.

Of course I could be completely wrong about that.

Also, one last thing in regards to keeping the official names for characters: Remember that though you're retranslating this to make it sound better and more faithful to the original Japanese version, there will be quite a few fans playing this. It would be wise not to alienate them with names you think sound better or are more exotic-sounding. If anything, it should be a nice melding of what we got (as shown by the large amount of enemy names that are remaining as they should) and what should have been (such as Bizarro Sephiroth being properly translated as Rebirth Sephiroth).

Though in regards to that last example, I feel that Reborn Sephiroth sounds better grammatically than Rebirth Sephiroth. But eh.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:19:34 am by Mirby »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 01:36:07 am »
No, it’s definitely not seraph. It was intended to be a Kabbalah referencey thing. Plus, not nearly enough wings. :happy:

That particular explanation about Terra has been bandied about, but I think that’s a misinterpretation of something Woolsey himself used to explain why it’s not Mash. What he actually explained:
- Nearly every single play-tester hated the name Tina. (sounds too dainty, I guess)
- A player might actually be named Tina and that could get weird.

Not sure how that logic works as long as they changed Mash to “Edgar”, then, but whatevs, I wasn’t the one who did that. Might explain a little bit about ALL CAPS names in old games, though: Let’s say the player’s name is Josh. JOSH is clearly an NPC, while the main character is Josh because Josh doesn’t type his name in all caps like he’s some kind of psycho.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 03:08:44 am »
You mean Sabin, not Edgar.

Also, if one wants to transliterate Sabin's Japanese name properly, it's Masshu.

As in they fucked up Mathew.

Might as well call him Mathew because that's obviously what they intended.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 03:59:18 am »
I’d :banghead: at my own forgetfulness but that’s probably how we got into this mess in the first place :-[

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2013, 09:19:26 am »
You mean Sabin, not Edgar.

Also, if one wants to transliterate Sabin's Japanese name properly, it's Masshu.

As in they fucked up Mathew.

Might as well call him Mathew because that's obviously what they intended.
Actually, I'd argue otherwise.

His name is Macias "(that shortened name)" Figaro.

With Macias being the Spanish version of "Mathias", I would argue that perhaps they were going for "Math" or "Matt" there, not "Matthew".

Considering the fact that my name is Matthew, and when I was taught by Japanese people how to spell it in Japanese I didn't get マッシュ, so much as マシュー.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2013, 11:13:58 am »
Then what about Tseng/Zeng? In the movie, his name appears as "Tseng" in the credits; while in Last Order, it appears as "Zeng". What do you think? And what if Nomura chose those names (Zack, Elena, Reno) simply because he liked them?
Last Order was not created directly by Nomura, so it's bound to contain errors and you can clearly see other spelling mistakes in there. Tseng is Tseng.

EDIT: I still think Zack's name was supposed to be "Zax" (Zakkusu). I mean, Enix in Japanese is "Enikkusu" (エニックス), so why is "Zax" wrong? Besides, I've found this as a clue:
As I said, Nomura still spells the name in western characters as Zack, despite the kana using what usually transliterates to "x", "cs", "cus", and such. The only explanation I can find about it is that he made the character and he decides whatever the name should transliterate to. It's not the first time designers do something fancy about names.

I thought his "Safer Sephiroth" was supposed to be "Seraph Sephiroth" on account of the wings and the angelic status and all.
That would require quite a replacement of kana in order to get "Seraph". The name's really Sepher, Sēpher, or Sefer, depending on how you prefer to transliterate the Hebrew word for it.

Also if memory serves, Terra is Tina in Japan cause they wanted an exotic sounding name for her (Tina apparently being exotic in Japan). When it came time to localize the game, they kept the idea of an exotic name, but since Tina isn't exotic here, they went with the more mystical sounding Terra, a name that suits her Esper heritage.
The problem is Tina is barely exotic even for Japanese people.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »
With Macias being the Spanish version of "Mathias"...
Little nitpick: the Spanish version of the name is "Matías". "Macías" is a bit archaic and (to my knowledge) remains only as a surname now. Not that the Japanese would care, anyway...

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2013, 02:07:27 pm »
Also, one last thing in regards to keeping the official names for characters: Remember that though you're retranslating this to make it sound better and more faithful to the original Japanese version, there will be quite a few fans playing this. It would be wise not to alienate them with names you think sound better or are more exotic-sounding. If anything, it should be a nice melding of what we got (as shown by the large amount of enemy names that are remaining as they should) and what should have been (such as Bizarro Sephiroth being properly translated as Rebirth Sephiroth).
Hm. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

Ok, this is how things will be. I'll make two versions: one containing the official character names confirmed by Tetsuya Nomura (Barret, Zack, Reno, Elena, etc), and the other one being my personal version, containing the names included in the OEF, as well as the original names I found (Barett, Leno, Yrena, Zeng, Zax...). Only the first one will be officially released, but you can have the other one if you want it (simply email me and I'll send you a patch). However, Aerith WILL be "Aerith" on both versions, no matter what the "Aeris" fanboys say. As for the secondary characters (Elmyra, Myrna, Eleanor, Gast...), we will discuss here what are the best names for them, comparing their kana to their localised names. We will discuss about the location names too. What do you think? Does this sound good to you? :)
Though in regards to that last example, I feel that Reborn Sephiroth sounds better grammatically than Rebirth Sephiroth. But eh.
If I were to do that, I would have to rename one of his abilities, the 'Rebirth Energy' (リバース・エナジー, Ribāsu Enajī).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:30:40 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Mirby

• View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »
Yeah, Reborn Sephiroth was just me, but Rebirth Sephiroth sounds good too.

And yeah, that sounds good. Also I think it bears mentioning that even in Kingdom Hearts Zack is Zack.

And Aeris is Aerith.

So yeah.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »
Ok, let's discuss about the secondary character names. These are their Japanese names:

セト
SE TO
"Seto" is probably correct, but セト can be "Set" too, but never "Seth" (セトゥ), because the kana is slightly different. If you look at the Field files in the translated version (most specifically SETO1), "Seto's Wall" was translated as "Cet Wall". However, I have two clues that led me to believe that "Seto" is intended: because of the name of that file, and because Nanaki is a Japanese-like name; so Seto's name should be too.

About セト:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%BB%E3%83%88

エレノア
E RE NO A
This is Eleanor, Dyne's wife. Apparently, it looks correct, but her kana looks a little like Rinoa's (リノア).

ミーナ
MI- NA
This is Barret's wife, Myrna. "Mina" seems too Japanese-like, but "Meena" is another possibility.

エルミナ
E RU MI NA
This is Aerith's mother, Elmyra. "Elmina" kinda looks Japanese, maybe "Elmyna"...?

ガスト
GA SU TO
This is Professor Gast. I guess this one was mistranslated. Judging by the spelling, it could be "Gust" or "Gusto"; but no way I'll change his name to "Gusto", that'll make me think he's Spanish (makes me remind the Me Gusta meme lol).

シエラ
SHI E RA
This is Shera. Her kana implies that her name was supposed to be "Sierra", not "Shera" (シェラ). The difference between them is very small.

グリン
GU RI N
This is Choco Bill, the owner of the Chocobo Farm. I guess the transliteration for this one is "Green".

グリングリン
GU RI N GU RI N
This is Choco Billy. Naming him "Green Green" is just dumb.

クリン
KU RI N
This is Chole, from the Chocobo Farm too. No idea of how it should be. "Kreen"...?

エスト
E SU TO
This is Ester. Judging by the kana, her name is possibly "Esto". But I've never seen a girl with such a name.

We can still discuss about the enemy names too. It's not finished yet.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2013, 09:15:17 pm »
シエラ = Cierra or Ciera

グリン = Glynn

グリングリン = Glynn Green or Green Glynn, he owns a vegetable shop & he's green  ;D

クリン = Klynn or Clynn?

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »
グリン = Glynn
That's a pretty good suggestion! I never thought about including the other "n", and Glynn's an actual name!

Look:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~gw104/
グリングリン = Glynn Green or Green Glynn, he owns a vegetable shop & he's green  ;D
Whoooa, you're right! He is green indeed! :o

"Green Glynn" is better than "Glynn Green", assuming that the old man has no last name.
クリン = Klynn or Clynn?
I'd choose "Clynn" in this case.
シエラ = Cierra or Ciera
Yes, Cierra and Ciera have the same kana as "Sierra".

A random Japanese page showing the name Ciera:
http://maikociera.a-thera.jp/

Cid and Ciera... hmmm...
However, Sierra comes from the Spanish word "sierra", which means 'mountain range' IIRC. It can also mean 'saw' (noun). And Cid's name comes from El Cid, who was Spanish too.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2013, 11:54:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure there's been at least one real scientist named Gast.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Mirby

• View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2013, 03:09:39 am »
Considering that Cid named his AC airship Shera, I'd think Shera would have been made an official name because of that. Eh.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2013, 04:05:09 am »
ERUMINA could be Hermine.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2013, 07:58:57 am »
Considering that Cid named his AC airship Shera, I'd think Shera would have been made an official name because of that. Eh.
You're right. Then Shera will be "Shera". But in my personal version, she'll be "Sierra". ;)

I'm pretty sure there's been at least one real scientist named Gast.
There are lots and lots of "Gasts".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gast

But does "Gast" have the same spelling as "Gust"? That's what I want to know.

ERUMINA could be Hermine.
No. Hermine has a different kana (エルミネ, Erumine). It could be "Hermina" though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:18:03 am by Thisguyaresick2 »