News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 196124 times)

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »
I see Hermine and all I can think of is Hermione. XD

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2013, 01:16:56 pm »
Hermione lol

Anyway, I think "Elmyna" is better. It's accurate and all. What do you say?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »
It's supposed to be pronounced something like "El-mean-uh". Elmyna looks like it could be pronounced like Elmyra with an N instead of an R.

Then again, I can't offer much else.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2013, 05:14:10 pm »
However, Aerith WILL be "Aerith" on both versions, no matter what the "Aeris" fanboys say
Then your restanslation is going to suck.

More seriously, I don't know who came up with the "it was supposed to be Aerith and Aeris is a mistranslation" idea. It makes absolutely no sense. ス can be either "su" or "s", or even "th", but since nowhere in official Square stuff it's ever written "Aerith" I don't see why it would be the "correct" translation because some random guy once decided it was.

I just saw a lot about translating names from Legend of Localisation website, and see how it is hard to translate names to/from japanese. However if Square decided to make it one of the possible ways I see no way someone could they were wrong for doing it.

PS : The reason I'm biased against the "th" is also because I'm not english. It's a sound that exist only in english and that is hard to reproduce and that I hate very much. It's basically a "s/z/d" with the tonge out of your mouth. Plain "s" is easy for everyone in all languages.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »
More seriously, I don't know who came up with the "it was supposed to be Aerith and Aeris is a mistranslation" idea. It makes absolutely no sense. ス can be either "su" or "s", or even "th", but since nowhere in official Square stuff it's ever written "Aerith" I don't see why it would be the "correct" translation because some random guy once decided it was.
It was no random guy who decided the correct transliteration, it was Nomura himself. The "Aeris" spelling has been used for a few other PlayStation titles (Parasite Eve II, Final Fantasy Tactics, and probably a couple more), until Nomura decided to fix the issue once and for all by making the localization teams use the transliteration he intended from the beginning (IIRC it appears in official artworks an sketches).
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2013, 05:52:04 pm »
nowhere in official Square stuff it's ever written "Aerith"
What, Ultimania isn’t official all the sudden? ;P
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:28 pm »
Wasn't FFTactics translated by the same people (or person) who translated FF7? And talking about the "th" thing, this case is similar to "Aeris"'s:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Barbaneth_Beoulve

nowhere in official Square stuff it's ever written "Aerith"
Sorry for saying this, but you're being ignorant. It's pretty much the opposite. Most of the Square stuff has the name Aerith, except for the original FF7 game (which was badly translated). Not only the Ultimania Guide has it; the Official Establishment File, the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia 012 (both JAP and US versions) had the name "Aerith". Besides, if you insert the FF7's CD in your computer and check the files, you'll see Aerith's character model name as "EARITH" (I confirmed this in both versions). Just go to the FIELD folder and search for it (the CD files are hidden). The "th" was intended all this time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:21:12 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2013, 04:05:36 am »
Ok then I guess it was my ignorant fault. I just don't like stuff with "th" in them, especially at the end, but I guess this is a non-issue for english speakers.

Also, anyone could come up and say that "Cloud" was a bad translation and that it was supposed to be "Claude" and it'd be the same issue. In the end, official Square stuff decides what is right and what is wrong. It's "Aeris" in the game so it'll remain "Aeris" for me, but if they are inconsistent with themselves I think it's OK to use any variation of their names based on your preference.

PS : This is in fact extremely similar to the Yoshi / Yossi issue explained on the Legend of Localisaion website.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:40:40 am by Bregalad »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2013, 05:16:13 am »
Ok then I guess it was my ignorant fault. I just don't like stuff with "th" in them, especially at the end, but I guess this is a non-issue for english speakers.

Also, anyone could come up and say that "Cloud" was a bad translation and that it was supposed to be "Claude" and it'd be the same issue. In the end, official Square stuff decides what is right and what is wrong. It's "Aeris" in the game so it'll remain "Aeris" for me, but if they are inconsistent with themselves I think it's OK to use any variation of their names based on your preference.

PS : This is in fact extremely similar to the Yoshi / Yossi issue explained on the Legend of Localisaion website.
That's ok, dude. By the way, Cloud is Cloud. Even the Japanese people knew his name was Cloud before the game being translated here in America. His first romanization was "Cloud". And Aeris's first romanization was "Aerith", so it's not recent.

Just look at this book, it's really old. It was made in 1997, before the game being officially released in Japan (and sorry for posting this link again):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8_A5FAxFHc

And talking about this "Claude" thing, these same people who say it insist that the term "Turks" should've been named as "Tarx". They're just wrong.

And... if you really have a problem with Aeris being "Aerith", then just change her name to whatever you want while playing. Remember that you can name your characters.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2013, 05:27:42 am »
I just though her "first romanisation" was Earith ?!

And yeah, you can rename characters anyway, so it's never going to be an issue. For some obscure reason "Aeris" was the only character of the party I didn't rename on my first playthrough.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:10 am »
Well, Cloud does fit in with Square giving protagonists weather-related names: Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Lightning, Snow.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:06 am »
Huh, Squall and Tidus are related to weather ??

Lilinda

• View Profile
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2013, 05:14:40 pm »
Ok, let's go back to what really matters. Elmyra will be "Elmyna", correct? And Gast will be "Gust"? People say that you pronounce Gast as something like "gaest", so it's a wrong romanization of ガスト (Gasuto)?

I just saw these guys talking about it:
http://home.eyesonff.com/archive/t-132583.html

EDIT: Sometimes in the game, people refer to Gast as 博士 (hakase). I guess it's something like "Doctor". But do you think "Professor" is right? I don't remember if Professor can be used to refer to scientists.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:52:36 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2013, 05:43:24 pm »
"Elmina" is probably closer to how it's pronounced.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
"Elmina" is probably closer to how it's pronounced.
Then she'll be Elmina. Elmyna is pronounced as something like "El-mie-nuh", isn't it?

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »
If I had no knowledge of her Japanese name, I'd pronounce it "El-my-nuh".

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2013, 08:10:57 pm »
Ok, let's go back to what really matters. Elmyra will be "Elmyna", correct? And Gast will be "Gust"? People say that you pronounce Gast as something like "gaest", so it's a wrong romanization of ガスト (Gasuto)?

I just saw these guys talking about it:
http://home.eyesonff.com/archive/t-132583.html

EDIT: Sometimes in the game, people refer to Gast as 博士 (hakase). I guess it's something like "Doctor". But do you think "Professor" is right? I don't remember if Professor can be used to refer to scientists.
ガスト could also be pronounced "gast".

博士 can also mean "doctor", depending on the context.

エルミナ is likely meant to be "Elmina". There are many examples of this being spelled this way. For example: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AB%E3%83%9F%E3%83%8A

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2013, 05:36:39 am »
ガスト could also be pronounced "gast".

博士 can also mean "doctor", depending on the context.

エルミナ is likely meant to be "Elmina". There are many examples of this being spelled this way. For example: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AB%E3%83%9F%E3%83%8A

~DS
Then Gast will be Gast, at least in this version. But Gust is more likely. What about Eleanor (エレノア)? Do you think her kana is correct, or it should be something like Elenoir or Elenoa? Elenoa is a possibility:

http://tabelog.com/osaka/A2702/A270201/27036385/

"Eleanor" could be more likely, but hey, it's a fictional character; she could have any weird name. And, like I said before, her kana looks a little like Rinoa's (リノア).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:41:43 am by Thisguyaresick2 »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:40 am »
It's definitely Elanor. You have to stop looking at Katakana as if the syllables will actually spell out a word. They're meant to sound out a word. So in this case, ノア comes out as "nor".

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior