News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with SMB  (Read 4804 times)

SauceDog

• View Profile
Help with SMB
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:24 pm »
Hi All,

Been lurking enough for awhile getting what I can from the boards with learning how to do ROM hacks but have reached a point where I am not sure exactly how to approach this next issue.

I have already learned and taken care of sprite editing, level creation, text adjustments, palette swapping for the NES and are currently working with Super Mario Brothers as a starting point. I however would like any help, either actual tutorials or guidance on where to look, with doing the following:

I am wanting to change the big/small mario states in the game. I wish for mario's default state to be BIG mario (using the big mario sprites) and when he gets a mushroom he then becomes the small sprite mario. If he gets hit then he will obviously revert back to big mario. This isn't a simple sprite swap as each state uses a different number of sprite tiles.

I'm boggled, I am not sure how to go about this. Can anyone help point me on the right way or guide me through the process of doing do? Much appreciated for any info I can get! If this is something already on the boards i'm sorry I didn't find it in my searches (yet?)

Abramelin

• View Profile
Re: Help with SMB
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »
First, do you know ASM Hacking? What I'm going to say me be obvious enough, but you'll have to find the address in memory that the information (Whether Mario is Big or Small) is stored then try to change it using ASM. Searching the address would be really simple using an emulator with 'cheat search' function.

SauceDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:09:30 pm »
Ah, so that is what it's called - I confused it with some other tutorials and I was under the impression all the cheat stuff I was reading was something totally different. I found an existing cheat that does what I want so I know it's possible (wasn't sure if a cheat could be permanently applied to a ROM)

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:39:22 am »
Delete...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:09:42 am by Guyver »
I not the wizard, I only study...

SauceDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »
Holy crap, thank you Guyver! That solution looks perfect for me without having to learn a Chronos level of ASM knowledge (but i'll still begin learning it regardless). I don't know which i'm more happy about; how detailed your tutorial is, or the fact that the answer came from a Guyver unit since i'm also a huge fan.

Thanks!

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »
Beside this way there is one minus - a low speed. Slowly... So you must learn ASM! ;)

SauceDog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »
 :-\ I didn't get a chance to copy down and implement your tutorial before you deleted it as I was working all week  :banghead:

Could you re-post or PM me the jist of it (Did not get the app name you used which I could play around with). I'm going to be learning ASM, but this change I want to have done sooner as a special gift game for my friends engagement party (hence my willingness to take a quick easy way out for now)

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:59:24 am »
I have broken the rules. I posted a link to hacked Rom. So has deleted the message.

1. Download: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/581/
2. Searching options: Separate byte: 01
3. Change options: Separate byte: 00
4. Address (10 Dec) 16 - 100
5. Button "Rechange file"
6. Button "Execute file" (before this select emulator - button "Emulator")
7. Execute file. If Mario small - go to [4] and change address 100-200. Step: 100, push button "> plus". And so until will find the Big Mario. (address hex 1072)

Profit!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:37:27 pm by Guyver »

w7n

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 04:37:37 am »
I have broken the rules. I posted a link to hacked Rom. So has deleted the message.

1. Download: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/581/
2. Searching options: Separate byte: 01
3. Change options: Separate byte: 00
4. Address (10 Dec) 16 - 100
5. Button "Rechange file"
6. Button "Execute file" (before this select emulator - button "Emulator")
7. Execute file. If Mario small - go to [4] and change address 100-200. Step: 100, push button "> plus". And so until will find the Big Mario. (address hex 1072)

Profit!

If I get you correctly...
I suppose by only changing ROM $1072 from 1 to 0 you will get an imperfect solution, since when Mario dies and respawns, he will revert to small Mario again. Changing this value will also affect a variable $0757, although I have no idea what this variable affects.

SauceDog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 11:26:03 pm »
Thanks for the repost, i'll play around with this. I did notice that when you die Mario will spawn as small mario so I shall experiment with how to change that as well - but this is a great start and tutorial! Thanks again!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:58:09 am »
This reminded me of what happens when you jump on the axe + Bowser at the exact same time as Big/Fire Mario in the original game!  :beer: