News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: In neef of help with Earthbound's rom  (Read 2473 times)

Noodlez

In neef of help with Earthbound's rom
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:42:23 am »
Hello everybody, here's what I'm trying to do: I wanna play with the Earthbound (U) rom on my PAL (E) snes (via my linker) without touching the hardware.

I've searched around the web for a way to convert regions, and I've managed to fix it to PAL (via ucon64 or Snestool, dont remember which one). So the game finally launches BUT as soon as I named my characters it displays an anti piracy message. So I guess the game is checking console region at many occasions.

I discovered your community thanks to this issue, and it seems like you guys are my last hope :)

I'm not into hacking, so maybe that it's a really simple thing to do for you (at least, I hope so  ;D)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: In neef of help with Earthbound's rom
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
Changing the region (I think, but definitely changing the SRAM-based copier detecton) activates EarthBound's infamous copy-protection.

I don't know if anyone has yet made a patch, but I think someone who does make one would have to want to go through the effort themselves to patch it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:40 am »
Given that the copy protection was discovered by the fact that there existed a copy that was specifically hacked to bypass it, yes I think it exists.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:29:30 pm by henke37 »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:12:59 am »
I pioneered the definitive copy-protection bypass hack almost five years ago. Must I post it anew?

gimmickkun

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:49:10 pm »
please do re post as i simply cant play earthbound on a flashcart without the copy protection being activated :)