News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GFF Gronds Final Fantasy  (Read 4326 times)

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
GFF Gronds Final Fantasy
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:15 am »
I have only worked on a little bit of rom hacking over the past few years, and never really had the patience, given the difficulty I was having. Lunar Magic, FF3usME, and a couple NES game specific editors. After having so much of a hard time, and not being able to figure them out, I pretty much gave up. I made some progress with FF3usME, but with the sheer amount of editable content in the game, I only made it to Returners Hideout before giving up. With the initial release of FF6AE this past winter I decided to give hacking another shot. In the process of waiting for the next release of that particular editor, I decided to give FF1 a try.

About 2 months ago I started learning how to use FFHackster, and I took the time and patience to learn how to use it. Then I decided that I wanted the INT patch, and tried to use the hex addresses from Astral Espers sticky on Gamefaqs, and to no avail, I couldnt get it to work. Then I had the determination to crack GFF and finally did. Now I have learned how to use a hex editor fairly well, and I have found most of the data for GFF.

I plan on releasing documents similar to FF Bytes (but more detailed), when I am done putting all the hex locations together. Some of it can be edited with Hackster, but most of it has to be manually edited with a hex editor. Even the parts that can be edited with Hackster are nearly impossible to read, because of how the text was expanded.

This has turned out to be a very worthwhile project. We all know that the original Final Fantasy is very broken. Grond, along with a few other hackers fixed all that. Finally, the original game is on par with all the other games in the series.

These documents should be completed by sometime in October. Now, nobody will have to worry about when, or if, the INT patch will be released. This is turning out to be about 90-95% complete in data finding. I still havent completely figured out how to create my own Magic Spells, only edit existing ones. The Battle Editor will require you to use Hackster and use a text document to navigate what you are trying to read. Overall, there shouldnt be any limitations by the time I am done. In some cases it will be even more complete than what Hackster can do. All the "Unknown" checkboxes will be defined, and if I can find the data, I will allow for treasure to be placed anywhere you want.

Quick tip for trying to find the data you want with a hex editor. Press and hold "0" to zero out all the data for about 20-30 seconds. Save and go see if that area of the game was altered.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: GFF Gronds Final Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:01 am »
Wow! I have played GFF and consider it way better then Square's original version. If you can make an editor that can edit that game, that would be amazing! Im sure a lot of people will find a use for it, including me.

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »
I dont know how to create an editor.

This will be a set of documents (all raw hex) that I will upload here when I am done.

Editing the game with just a hex editor is not as daunting as some people might think. The lists will be formatted in a way that is easy to navigate. All the Map Editing, Battle Editor, and Character Editor will be done with Hackster.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »
What is GFF?
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:09:49 pm »
GFF is the ultimate Bugfixed/INT patched version of Final Fantasy 1.

I dont know how to create an editor, but the documents I am putting together will give all the raw hex needed.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:42:25 am »
This could be controversed, you know ?
Like, some people might actually think it deviated too much from the original and that FF Facelift or another similar hack is more worthy ?

Just my $2 to say that it's hard to call a hack "ultimate".

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 02:42:46 pm »

I dont know how to create an editor, but the documents I am putting together will give all the raw hex needed.
Oh ok.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:26:35 pm »
The reason Im calling it the "Ultimate" version is because it is the only (fully) bugfixed hack of FF1.

Also, it is (completely) INT enabled, and only 1 other that I know of that is partially INT enabled is Windluc's hack.

Very little Map changes, almost no Story changes, all fixes, INT enabled. This makes GFF the Ultimate hack of FF1, or at least the Ultimate base for any Final Fantasy 1 project. There is an extra Dungeon near the end of the game, but the rest is essentially game fixes.

In the process of finding all the hex locations, I have discovered that you will be able to hack more than what you can do with FFHackster.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 03:31:38 pm »
What is INT enable ?
And yeah I know GBFF is very great, it's just risky to call it (or anything else) ultimate.

I didn't know about the extra dungeon, I'll have to check it out. However this is definitely more than a "upgrade/bugfix/facelift" hack, just like the CV2 retranslation is no retranslation any longer but a complete hack.

EDIT : After playing 10 minutes of that hack just right now, I can confirm that it's definitely not ultimate. I can see numerous things to complain about. Of course there is many improvements but you already know that so I won't cover them.

*) The transitions between world map and towns are way too fast. No fade out or wathever, you get directly teleported in Conelia as soon as you walk on a house tile. I think it was better in the original game.
*) The music is wrongly pitched, this is especially hearable on battle music
*) You STILL don't know who can equip weapon and armor when visiting a shop, which was my #1 complaint in the original game.
*) The weapons and armour submenu's layouts are worse than in the original, it's extremely annoying to navigate through in this new form (sure it looks pretty but...)
*) You can run on the world map. Normally this is never allowed in any FF game
*) You STILL don't get staring equipment when starting the game
*) It's great you can buy potions in batches of 10, but buying any number would have been better. Also you don't get a discount for buying 10 like you do in FF3.

So overall I think they changed things that were fine in the original, and they didn't touch things that really needed a fix. I love the eye candy of the new redesigned world map and how the battles are fast passed, and how character rarely misses.
So yes it's a great hack, but far from ultimate.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:50:44 pm by Bregalad »

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:05 am »
I agree with some of your points. The instant transition from the world map to town, and the weapon/armor menu layout, those bug me too. The menu layout had to be changed due to text expansion. The music is a little different, but not enough to have any real complaints.

Starting equipment, adjusting how many items you buy at a shop, and being shown who can or cant equip things would require disassembly and rom expansion, which I wish I knew how to do.

The reason I am referring to this as an Ultimate hack of the game is because the Intelligence stat actually functions the way it should like every other Final Fantasy Game. Some spells dont even work in the original game.

So yes, there are some changes in GFF that some people might not like. However, this is the only hack of the game that gives (Magic) the properties they need, (Status Effects) given or received also function the way they should, and enemies respond more intelligently.

This hack is "Ultimate" in the aspect that Final Fantasy 1 now (Functions) like every other FF game.