Alright, first let me answer what game it is: It's Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient, and we're currently at about 70% of the game translated, which is why we're getting a little worried that we can't find the menu/item text as we'd like to release the game 100% translated with no Japanese 'artifacts' left within.
First, let me say that I'm by no means a hacker. I know some basics of how computers work and can find my way around HEX scripts, text pointers, headers and basic archives, but anything more advanced than that generally flies past my head. I tried attaching Cheat Engine and some process monitors to see what CorpseParty2.exe was calling, but nothing too helpful revealed itself. The Process Monitor does show CorpseParty2.exe calling upon the map and event scripts, but when I check the files I see it call, none of them have the Item/Menu text that we're searching for. I then check CorpseParty2.exe's memory and I CAN see the menu and item text, and can even change it, but I cannot tell where it's really loading it from, I am not proficient in assembly language, but to me it looks like it's loading it from the EXE itself, as it's calling various parts of CorpseParty2.exe with functions that look like CorpseParty2.exe+A7501 (etc.).
However, I'm not 100% confident that the text is embedded within CorpseParty2.exe, although I do believe it's certainly a possibility at this point, especially since all the scripts I've combed through don't seem like they could contain the item text as a lot of them are dummy-esque files with a lot of 0s and, at most, have a random 020 or something similar randomly in a three megabyte file filled completely with 0s. However, I do think it's also possible that maybe they are hidden somewhere within those scripts as the first thing CorpseParty2 does when it launches is load up all of its files and cache some of the data.
Hopefully some of this information may be helpful in finding out what could potentially be going on.
Thanks for your help!