News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Can't seem to get hex editors to read my table files properly.  (Read 3418 times)

shadowdorothy

• View Profile
So I'm frustrated and at wits end. Using PPU viewer I made table files for a game I want to translate, but no matter what hex editor I load the rom and tables into all I get is garbage data. Just garbage data.

I'm not sure how to even describe the problem. I opened PPU viewer, opened note pad and typed out my table. Then I open up either translhexation or windhex and load the rom. Obviously because I haven't loaded a table it shows me nothing. I then load my table file(s) and instead of getting こにちわ or わたし I get fy8e!@# or ^&hj75. I'm fairly certain my table files are correct, as when I relative search and scan relative it gives me the same hexadecimal values.

I should note English games load tables just fine. It's only my Japanese tables that don't seem to work.

I've edited text in games before and never had this problem. Any ideas what I can do to get this problem resolved? This is my first time actually translating, and it's rather disheartening that it keeps happening.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Re: Can't seem to get hex editors to read my table files properly.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:32:29 am »
In Windhex, make sure Unicode (CTRL + D) is on.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

shadowdorothy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »
Unicode is on. It still doesn't not read the table file correctly. I'm now getting blocks.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:10:38 pm »
Then the problem lies with the table file. Open it up in Notepad or any text editing program that supports unicode, then save it using unicode encoding.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:14:36 pm »
Use a table formatted by monkey moore (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/513/).

Then open it up in word etc. and edit the file to correspond to your specific needs.

Save it, if word asks any question about formating, etc. hit yes.

Load the table into Windhex.

I used monkeymoore, Tile Layer pro and Windhex for everything.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:48 pm »
Depends which hex editor you're using.
If it's WindHex, even though the menu says Unicode, the table file needs to actually be Shift-JIS to display right.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:58:05 pm »
King is right. Those settings in monkey Moore should be automatic.  You would select shift jis in word for the encoding.