News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Mega Man 9 NES

Started by Chpexo, August 12, 2013, 03:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azoreseuropa

Quote from: Chpexo on August 31, 2013, 04:50:18 AM
(I'm like half asleep right now so if this is rambling just know I'm not drunk)
Patch update:

You can download the latest patch here!

What was done:

* Stages completed (Splash Women, Hornet Man)
* Title screen partially done
* Wily stage 1 layout done

Concerns:

* Two graphic banks are loaded into the PPU at the titlescreen. When I modify which ones are loaded, this also affects the stage select screen for only the top half of the PPU. I want to change which are loaded for the titlescreen so I can complete add mega man to the titlscreen.
* The doc robot stages can be completely removed
*The some of the wily stages share the same data

You are insane! Good job! :D

OneCrudeDude

Quote from: Thanatos-Zero on August 31, 2013, 06:27:00 AM
Chpexo, I think this project would benefit of a collaboration of several talented hackers.

One of them, the newcomer MartsINY shows great promise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5su2zO1pRM

I think it is worth to ask him for support.


Edit: I have talked with Kuja Killer about your project.

It was then, I showed him Rock5Easly's (He returned by the way.) older NES recreation of Concrete Man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hLEu7Usks

Hmm, I thought the NES natively supports 240p, but due to NTSC overscan, the size is knocked down to 224p.  If the concern is that MM9 uses 256x224, then it shouldn't be because the NES, in NTSC regions, already does that.  It would only be an issue for PAL gamers.  Unless I completely misunderstood the concern.

Also, what about those larger enemies such as the Elephant in Concrete Man's stage?  That would require further BG tiles, unless they're planning on bankswitching some graphics out for it.  Or bump it up to MMC5 to avoid the headache over missing graphics.

Chpexo

#42
Quote from: Thanatos-Zero on August 31, 2013, 06:27:00 AM
One of them, the newcomer MartsINY shows great promise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5su2zO1pRM

I think it is worth to ask him for support.

He replied pretty quickly.
QuoteHi,

first I must say you made nice progress, however, I've been working on my project for 5 years and still far to be finished, so for me to work on a new project is unrealistic.

however, I document everything I do, and I will have enemies for MM9, so if you want docs about them, I'll be able to give them to you, but that's about the help I can give, I don't intend to put hours in another project

Right now I am documenting the sprites. You can see the information as of yet on Data Crystal.

EDIT: I know there's a utility that edits sprites from Mega Man 3 but it's not very practical to work with.


Hopefully someone skilled with ASMs and Mega Man 3 is willing to volunteer. I know there's people out there. To anyone reading this who is skilled with ASMs, I understand that the job is difficult and time consuming. I have always considered that while making this hack. I will work with you and cut things when necessary to work with YOU. I do not plan to change the mapper. I want to make it easy on you. Because you are a human being who should have a say in what work you do.

tomaitheous

If this gets completed, I'd definitely do a nes2pce conversion :)

wyndcrosser

thanks for introducing me to NES2PCE titles.

Mirror

I remember a few years back when someone set out to do the same thing but with MM4 as the base. I really love this game, so seeing this attempted again makes me very happy.

I hope you find someone who is willing to help you in this project.

OneCrudeDude

Oh yeah, considering the graphics limits, have you considered bankswitching?  Like for example, swap out some tiles that aren't going to be used with ones that need to be used for this particular screen?

Chpexo

The project is currently being converted to Mega Man 4 and the screenshots have been removed due to the change. There are many reasons why this is being done. For starter there is far more documentation on Mega Man 4 than Mega Man 3. Also the engine has certain aspects that are present in Mega Man 9 that would be a pain to put in when hacking Mega Man 3. For example, unlike Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4 has a separate menu screen and has more room for cutscenes. Though Mega Man 4's sound engine isn't top notch, the factors described will surely not haunt me later. However, I realize I will not get someone with ASMs to help me out. To quote The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners:

Quote...unless you plan to do a significant portion of the work... then most ROM hackers will avoid your attempt to start a group because it looks like you're wanting to take credit for their hard work.

Sooner or later, if I ever want to see this project done, I need to learn 6502, which is easier said than done. Right now this appears to be merely a neophytic project.

Gideon Zhi

Quote from: Chpexo on September 27, 2013, 05:19:16 PM
Sooner or later, if I ever want to see this project done, I need to learn 6502, which is easier said than done. Right now this appears to be merely a neophytic project.

Given the amount of chops you've shown with this, find me in the IRC channel and I'd be more than willing to help answer any questions you might have. As a further note, despite the emulation issues with FCEUX's core, the fact remains that it has just about the best damn debugger of any emulator you'll probably ever use, and it'll help make your job that much easier.

azoreseuropa

Quote from: Chpexo on September 27, 2013, 05:19:16 PM
The project is currently being converted to Mega Man 4 and the screenshots have been removed due to the change. There are many reasons why this is being done. For starter there is far more documentation on Mega Man 4 than Mega Man 3. Also the engine has certain aspects that are present in Mega Man 9 that would be a pain to put in when hacking Mega Man 3. For example, unlike Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4 has a separate menu screen and has more room for cutscenes. Though Mega Man 4's sound engine isn't top notch, the factors described will surely not haunt me later. However, I realize I will not get someone with ASMs to help me out. To quote The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners:

Sooner or later, if I ever want to see this project done, I need to learn 6502, which is easier said than done. Right now this appears to be merely a neophytic project.

Finally... You made a right decision. I hope that Gideon Zhi will help you as well. Cheers! :D

Drakon

Gideon is romhacking royalty, so is spikeman.

azoreseuropa

Yes, they are. Can't wait for this one! :D

MeganGrass

Quote from: Chpexo on September 27, 2013, 05:19:16 PMTo quote The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners:

Quote...unless you plan to do a significant portion of the work... then most ROM hackers will avoid your attempt to start a group because it looks like you're wanting to take credit for their hard work.

Sooner or later, if I ever want to see this project done, I need to learn 6502, which is easier said than done. Right now this appears to be merely a neophytic project.

Hmm, I don't think that's the case, with all projects.

Quite honestly, I think you need to find someone who is just as passionate about the project as you are. If someone is really dedicated to such a task, credit is subjective in nature. After all, what's more important: e-peen+1 or making others happy by producing real results? If it's the latter, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with stepping up and leading project like this... and that usually entails learning things that you hadn't previously known (6502 assembly, in this case).

That said, I sincerely wish you the best, and definitely look forward to any progress made.

Drakon

Quote from: tomaitheous on September 01, 2013, 08:38:03 PM
If this gets completed, I'd definitely do a nes2pce conversion :)

And then find a fpga wizard to make a sd loading replacement for the cd drive so we can have a cda version that never has a bad read again.

azoreseuropa

All we can do is wait for this game. :D

CyberFox

How about making Protoman and Bass playable like in the WiiWare original?

MathUser2929

Bass isn't in MM9, Protoman was dlc..

Midna

Quote from: CyberFox on November 02, 2013, 03:22:05 PM
How about making Protoman and Bass playable like in the WiiWare original?

I think you're thinking of Mega Man 10.

Chpexo

Yeah, I'd like this thread to be locked until further notice. This project is going to take a while and I have my hands full at the moment.